What's happening to my hair (I'm Black)?

THIS IS PREFERABLY FOR PEOPLE WITH African American HAIR, BUT IF YOU CAN HELP PLEASE DO.

Ok, a little background after but i have noticed my hair like this in some places, i can only show you one with using one hand:
http://i.imgur.com/7lqUxII.jpg?1
I thought maybe that it was my barber who fucked up my hair, he had pushed my hairline back one time and my hairline was crooked but it can't be, because all over my head there are these spot like that with no hair when i part my hair around in different places. I wash my hair a few times a week and put some type of moisture in it almost everyday. Am i starting to get bald spots or did my barber do something? Nobody i know of in my family is bald, and it doesn't seem like i am losing hair. Should i cut my hair? I don't know what is going on, there are just line all over my hair where it seems like hair is not growing. Please help, THIS IS URGENT!!

This does not show at all unless i part my hair in these ways. But, it showed a little at school today because i was rubbing my hair around.
Do you think this will show much more if i cut my hair?

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriends hair is doing the same thing in the back of his head, I thought It was from sleeping the same way, because even when I twist his hair its extremely short in those few areas but not bald, you can just see the scalp a little. Your not balding tho lol. Try twists, your hair looks long enough, if not cut it short. I don't think its alopecia tho, it would look a lot worse

What Girls Said 8

• It's called thinning hair and it can happen to anyone. It could be your products or water not agreeing with your scalp, stress, you could have male pattern baldness, hormonal imbalance, alopecia, messing with your hair too much like over brushing, not allowing your hair to breathe.

• Some kind of bacterial infection maybe? Find a new barber and go to a dermatologist so they can check it out..

• i hope not :(

• no, i don't think so. Will i have to cut my hair back down?

• Nah, just go to a dermatologist they can give you medicine if it isn't something inherited or permanent

• Sounds like alopecia... I'm like 70% sure- all info, considered.

• I think it may be balding, hitch is normal because some people bald really quickly. Also I'm African American an I have no idea what African American hair is

• Black hair, African hair.

• You are taking this in the wrong direction. I don't think he meant to be racist at all. Black people generally have a certain texture to their hair. Just like I am puerto rican and I have typical puerto rican hair. All he was asking was if someone with the same texture of hair has had this happen

• @aamy811 lol, you are a girl, mainly was looking for guys response but i know some girls are experts on hair. @Tokana ofc there are exceptions. @whatsername thank you exactly how i meant it.

• Just get it cut short, you could be balding

• That does look like alopecia

• Yeah sounds like an infection to me. It can come from using dirty combs and brushes or even not changing your pillow case or of course your barber not being sterile (sadly many aren't).
    See a dermatologist. You'll probably have to take antibiotics

• Yeah cutting your hair shorter is a good technique to hide hair loss in most cases, but I wouldn't worry about it until it gets noticeable when you don't push it back

• Depends it could be either. Are you purposely pushing your hair back in the picture? I see a hand.

• i pushed my hair to show the area it was having no hair because i push my hair down and it doesn't show. I told my mom but she said it might be i am not taking care of my hair (Wash my hair 3 or more times a week, and i put something in my hair every morning for moisturizing. Should i try to condition it?) and i don't need to see a dermatologist, but if i go bald its her fault.

What Guys Said 3

• Bacterial infections can cause this, especially if you go to a barber and they haven't properly sterilized. The treatment is very easy, and will likely be prescribed minocycline.

You should ***seriously*** see a dermatologist as soon as possible. I can see your follicles, but once they die there is no coming back.

• does that mean die permanently? They look like they are dying?

• All I know is that is unnatural for this not to be a symptom of *something* - especially for someone your age. If health insurance is an issue you could try applying through the state and it may end up costing you nothing depending on your household income. The reason conditioner may not work is because it is topical (Surface treatment) and there may be underlying cause.

Again, if health care is an issue talk to your mom about going through the state. In any case, good luck man.

• we have insurance but she doesn't believe i need to go to a dermatologist.

• You should see a doctor for that homie. You could even ask your barber because they like hair doctors. Personally I have no idea what is wrong with yo head do cuz. It might be some type of infection if you ain't growing no hair there, all speculation though.

• Stress may cause that, or lack of sleep.

• it may be lack of sleep, i don't get much sleep because of school. about 5 hours each night