What do you think about someone that wears vintage style clothes (pictures)?

Hey there! Just curious about how people are viewed! I manage a small 50's themed diner, and as part of the uniform I require the wait staff to wear vintage clothes. Girls in poodle skirts/poof dressed, victory rolls, oxford/baby-doll heels

Men in jeans and a white t-shirt with slicked hair
One of the girls that works for me loves the style so much she has adopted it into her everyday wear, she is adorable! The problem is she said that ever since she started dressing this way people give her strange looks in the street and men stopped asking her out completely! She loves the style and says she feels like she gets to dress up everyday but wants to stop because of how people treat her. What do you think of this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the style is awesome. Who cares if people look at you. People stare at other people because they feel threatened when they see someone that is doing what makes them happy while they (the staring people) themselves are forced down by their own insecurities and conform to what the masses agree on. So who cares what a person like that thinks about you. And who wants to date someone that isn't interested in you for who you really are? This way if she continues to dress in the 50s stuff and express her true self she will weed out the close minded and the douche's without having to waste time playing the pointless dating game with them. That's just my opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm really surprised on how she is being treated! I am starting to dress this way and I am getting nothing by compliments and good attention!

I guess it depends on where you live. I'm from Canada.

I think she should still rock the look. Especially if she loves it so much. Maybe she should see if there are any groups for people who dress vintage in her area. Maybe they can offer advice and support?

What Guys Said 8

• The "bad boy" guy look is still perfectly in fashion today, so i wouldn't call that vintage, all that is added to the modern version is designer stubble.

As for women, i think a lot of vintage clothing makes them somewhat frumpy and homely, it's not flattering at all and the whole polka dot thing is just an eyesore these days. The summer dresses however are timeless and work to this day for sporting and white collar fuctions.

• I love the girls look!

• I like girls in bootcut, flare, and boyfriend jeans and wear belts, that's vintage nowadays with all skinny jeans.

• The girls look great! I don't know about the guys hhaha I think that shoukd stay in the past.

• A hot girl can pull it off

• Much better than modern styles.

• The gals look pretty sexy

• Oooo neo vintage pretty cool

What Girls Said 10

• Obviously people are going to stare at someone dressed oddly.

If she likes it and it makes her happy who cares what other people think.

• I like the vintage/rockabilly style too! But I generally mix different styles in the way I dress.

I think it's best for your friend not to look like she wears a costume. She shouldn't aim for a 50s authentic look but mix different decades and tweak the style a bit to look more current. She should give her own interpretation of things, she shouldn't copy looks out of 50s photos.

• Love it and would love to see more of it!

• cute leather jacket.

• I would suggest to your friend that she shouldn't stop expressing who she is as a person because people treat her differently

• Not really a fan but some people can pull that off really well so too for them

• Stylish but not my style.

• Hot style!!

• I do wear vintage style clothing sometimes. They look good!!

• I consider it an adorable style.