Do you guys think it's wrong for white women to braid their hair and what's your reasoning?

Do you guys think it's wrong for white women to braid their hair and what's your reasoning?I mean braids like this. Some people on Facebook were bashing a girl who had these braids (not this girl) because she apparently was "stealing black culture" while others who were also black said that it looked cute. I think it's okay, and black people do not own braiding hair, because Native Americans and Vikings have been doing it forever just as long as black people have. Can you tell me why it's good or bad? I wanna know people's reasoning behind this.

• Yes, it is appropriation and it's wrong
  • No, this is not appropriation
  • Appropriation doesn't exist
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• I just think "whatever". The whole world would be a lot more peaceful if everyone could do that. To me offense is too often *taken* when none is given.

It reminds me of a Western guy walking into my favorite bar with a kanji tattoo on his arm. Just to humor him, the bartender asked him what it meant. He said "inner peace". Actually the tattoo artist must not have liked him so much, since the kanji actually meant "North Korea".

Anyway, "whatever". It's funny to me at times, but nothing worth being offended about. Cultures tend to be appropriated and diluted and trivialized all over the place. It's easier to think, "whatever", and laugh a bit if it looks a bit silly.

• Cultural appropriation to me is just fuel to the fire for people to get offended. I can point out endless examples of Japanese culture being appropriated elsewhere, and if I was offended, I could be pissed off to the point of being blue in the face. I'm not, "whatever". That's a lot more peaceful way to live.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's cultural appropriation. I wouldn't say that it was wrong, but the issue with cultural appropriation is the double standard. If a black woman wore braids like that she would be considered ghetto and a hood rat but a white woman wears this and all of a sudden it's a fashion trend. The double standard in itself is wrong and it is preferable that non black people don't take black culture. Especially after removing us from our original culture, forcing us to make a new culture for ourselves. You can see why black people are upset about this. However cultural appropriation is horrible when it takes an aspect of a group's culture, especially with it having to do with religion, and water it down to a dumb fashion trend.

What Guys Said 7

• While it's difficult to know for certain where braiding originated, it has been found in all cultures of the world, including Asia, Africa, Egypt, Europe and the Americas. Braiding in Africa can be traced back to 3500 B. C., but there is evidence that the practice began much earlier.

That was a quite from Google. Braided hair does not belong to black people. It came from all over the damn word. Granted blacks made it more popular, it's not theirs to claim as their own. It's no appropriation and this is fact and there's my evidence. You cannot argue against it.

• Free country. Anyone is free to wear the hair style they want. You will invite criticism, especially in this PC run amok culture we live in now. But if you can handle it then let 'er rip honey

• Appropriation or not it looks like shit.

• It's only wrong because it looks bad, but if someone thinks it looks good then it's okay I guess.

• its there hair they can do anything with it people talk about others all the time and people may get hurt but u should just be you and not care what others think

• Appropriation doesn't exist

• That's not braiding, that's called dreads. A braid is a temporary style that you put long hair into, and take out by the end of the day - like a ponytail.

You get dreads by not washing your hair for years, and crumpling your filthy hair into long chunks. Its much more of a permanent style.

Anyway, its not "wrong". She can do whatever the hell she wants with her hair. But I personally find dreads hideous regardless of the race of the girl wearing them.

What Girls Said 5

• Okay... I'm black, and she looks hella amazing! It's just freaking hair!!! She doesn't need permission to do anything. It's her head.

• Appropriation is the correct term and to some it offensive but not because they're "stealing" as you eloquently put it but because all women of color are called "ghetto" or "ratchet" for the same look that she is wearing and someone will see it as "innovative" and "unique"

• That is a black hairstyle, I've seen it way more often on black people than anyone else. She can wear it if she wants to, but people are also free to criticize it. That's what free will is.

• Looks stupid on white people

• Culture Vulture. White people's oldest trick in the book. White people seem to love swaggerjacking cool, unique, creative things that black people come up with and what makes it so unsettling is the fact that so many white people used to and still would mock or degrade a black person for wearing their hair like that. Then they'll turn around and try to make it trendy or seem unique.