What does it mean when a guy makes fun of a girl's clothes in front of his friends?

I am a quiet, nice, and soft-spoken person. In college, there is this guy in two of my classes. We have never talked before. He is talkative and have a lot of friends. When class was over, I got up to leave and I heard loud laughing behind me. The laughing was coming from him and the people he sit with and talk to. The laughing did not start until I got up. The guy said, "I know those are cheap jeans." There has been other times he has said things and whispered to other people and laughed about it with the people he sit with.

I wanted to know what does it mean when a guy makes fun of a girl's clothes with his friends? What does it mean when a guy makes fun of a girl with people he sit with? Could he be wanting a reaction from me or want attention? I ignored him and them and they still kept laughing. Why does he do this?

Most Helpful Girl

• Being someone who loves fashion, I thought I should answer.

This guy is a JACKA**. It's hard to fathom that this is how a college guy behaves, but I guess that point is mute. I love clothes and fashion, including expensive, cheap, and free. Always have, since I was about 6 years old. I would have never, EVER, made a single comment about someone else's clothing. This is obviously a way for him to make himself feel better...gee, wonder what his insecurities are? NOT that you should stoop to his level and comment back, but sometimes it makes us feel better knowing that he's acting this way because of his own...*cough*...shortcomings.

Ignore him. That's what works best. Hold your head high and wear what you want!

What Guys Said 4

• he's being ugly to try & look big dhit to his buddies. Just ignore it...

• It means he is a prick. I understand that some guys are too shy to show that they like a girl but making fun of a girl is just childish.

• Wow, I'm surprised this guy is in college. That usually stops in high-school as most guys get a reality check to life. I would just ignore this guy, but if he continues to be an ass, consider confronting him.

• Because he's an asshole. plain and simple. kids can be mean when they are young. don't worry about it just be you.

If you say anything just say wow that really isent nice. and don't pay attention to him

What Girls Said 5

• You're in COLLEGE? Not 6th grade? Wow, what a jerk.

Ignore him.

Even some of the wealthiest and most fashionable people I know wear jeans they bought from a garage sale or Goodwill. It's not about how much you pay for a pair of jeans, it's about CLASS and DIGNITY, neither of which this jerk has.

• What, is he in second grade? It could be possible he might have a crush on you, but masks it by making fun of you. He isn't worth the time of day, in my opinion, though. We're all adults here. If He's got something to say to you, he needs to start acting like it.

• that's messed up... you should probably say "thats funny, I thought I saw you there the other day buying from the same store...", and if he IS trying to get your attention, its not working in a good way cause that's NOT how you get a girl. period.

• No, in college you can go to a much serious level and it will give him a HUGE reality check. I had a guy do that to me as well but it keep going on and on. I finally went to CAMPUS POLICE and told them everything and that he was harassing me.

Guys in college should be mature enough to let a girl know if he likes her. If not this is considered harassment.

• He's a mean superficial jerk. He is insecure and tries to look cool amongst his friends by targeting someone he views as inferior. He doesn't like you. I think you should make him look stupid and reply with a comment back to him. Just say it once dismissively, don't engage in an argument with him. He thinks you won't respond to him and that's why he's picking on you.

• What comment can I say to him?