Are tattoos still considered trashy, even in todays society?

as I sit here, googling, "tattoo's" for my next adventure in the tattoo parlor, I wonder...

how someone classifies someone else's tattoo(s). is one tattoo trashy? are only visible tattoos trashy? are only females with tattoo's trashy? men? at what line do you have to cross to have, "gone to far"?

i found myself saying to myself, "wow, that's skanky. why would he/she do that to themselves?" after seeing what I thought was an awful tattoo in an awful area or whatever. but having two tattoos, myself, (not visible) who am I to judge? what if that tattoo you think is really stupid, means something to them? what if they had a tattoo of penguin because their mom loved penguins, and their mom died. you really just never know.

but I guess my real inquiry is, what makes tattoos unattractive and "trashy"? why are tattoo's still looked down on in the professional workplace? what is it about people who have tattoo's that makes you judge them, and see them differently?

just wondering. (: thank youuu!

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think they're that big a deal anymore, but it's all a matter of taste. Just get what you like.

I'm personally not a huge fan of tattoos on girls, and if they do have them I prefer them to be relatively small. Don't think I'd find a full back tattoo or full arm tats very attractive. Having said that, there ARE girls that are so hot that even excess ink wouldn't detract from their looks.

Bottom line, just get what you like because there are too many different views to really worry about what one particular person thinks.

What Guys Said 9

• Tatoos can be mad sexy on a woman. Too many is a turn off.

F*** what other people think is thrashy or not. Do what you want to do, let them deal with it.

Personally, I think lots of tatoos on the arms, shoulders and upper back on a woman just takes a lot away from her beauty. Some tatoos on the lower back, waistline, hand,upperback(small preferably) can be very sexy.

As for why that is, that's a really complex question I'm not qualified to answer. All I can say is, education, culture, upbringing, values, morals and social conditioning have a major part to play in it.

Point of the matter is, no matter what you do, what you say, what you don't do, what you don't say, some jackass is always gonna judge you for it negatively. So my philosophy is very profound and complex on this subject: "Who gives a f***?".

• It depends. I know general answer 0=

I like tattoos that represent something for the wearer or are unique to that person.

The professional workplace wishes to stay traditional in that "hard working american sense", Tattoos are not associated with it. They are associated with some negative things in society,ex gangs, drugs, and rebellion. That is why they are still somewhat taboo in the workplace.

• I think they've gone from transhy to slutty lately.

• I only consider tattoos on the lower back to be trashy. Getting tattoos on the ass,neck,head,near the vagina,feet,and hands is going too far. Tattoos of people's faces,pets, and names of ex's are unattractive. When I see people with tattoos I think that they are very open-minded,more sensitive and more b*tchy.

• why, more sensitive, and more bitchy?

• So people should only get tattooed on arms, stomach, legs (not feet) and upper back?

• Yeah,and their upper chest. But they shouldn't get too many.

• As long as it isn't something like this: link I won't kill you with force lightning.

• no. by the time we're 50 everyone's gonna have one anyway. times change.

• Tattoos on the face are ugly. Tramp stamps are yea... Faces as tattoos bug me as well.

• i don't judge, they just turn me off

• tattoos don't bother me unless its covering every part of her body

What Girls Said 4

• I think when tattoos are faded, poorly done, grotesque (think blood and skulls) or something that says, "I was 19 when I got this tattoo" then it's a turnoff. It also depends on the placement of the tattoo. We all know they are called "tramp stamps" for a reason. Tats on the neck are just tacky, so I would avoid those. When you consider getting a tattoo, you have to think, "Is this something I will want to have on my body when I'm 65? Is this something I will be ashamed for my grandkids to see?" For me, my tattoos are something I get for me. I don't have them in places where I show them off unless I want to. That way, if someday I change my mind about how much I love those tats, or if that symbol becomes less significant to me, then I can choose not to show it off.

• I like tattoos, personally, but I feel that they're better if they have a story behind them. I think tattoos should have a special meaning to the person getting them and not just be some random picture or design.

However, you're right in saying that if someone had a tattoo of a penguin you wouldn't know if it was meaningful or silly. It's hard to say what I find appealing or unappealing about certain tattoos until I've seen them. Some of my favorites that I've seen on people have been a pin-up girl on a girl's abdomen, a really detailed tree on a girl's back, a Hindi quote on a guy's ribs, scales behind a girl's ear, and a red feather on top of a girl's foot. I also saw a guy with Hello Kitty on his neck, which made me smile.

If there's one kind of tattoo I hate, it's ones with genitalia. I don't understand why a person would want that tattooed on their body. Also, anything in liquid font, bubble font, or with sparkly starbursts.

• i have a really small one, but you can't see it unless I'm wearing a bikini, so I don't think their trashy. unless like you have a really big one, or like your whole body is covered in them. that's trashy, I think.

• I don't mind them so long as they are VERY well thought out.

I mean they're permanent.. which is why it annoys me when kids get ones that they aren't going to like 10 years down the road.

My boyfriend wants to get a stupid one.. I don't want one on him.. =(