Why do some girls dress like boys?

I am not judging any girls that dress like boys, I'm just curious... Is it because they like dressing up like a man? Are all girls who dress like boys lesbians? Once again, I am not trying to insult anyone I'm just curious.

And have short hair as well with boys clothes.*

Most Helpful Girl

• It is comfortable, for a long time my only wardrobe was jeans, basketball shorts, and t-shirts. I didn't care what people thought and I wanted to be comfortable not worrying if my my dress was gonna fly up. I am defiantly not a lesbian. I don't like to dress like a man it was what I thought was comfortable. Now I have a variety of jeans and skirts. I still love wearing my t-shirts but I know how and what to pair it with to still be feminine. I am wearing a black t-shirt right now but I have on neon blue skinny jeans and sandals. I don't wear basketball shorts anymore unless I am sleeping but... they are REALLY comfy! I now wear what I find is cute... I went to being SUPER girlie to tomboy to in the middle, it is now what I like I am still all about comfort though. I don't think any girl is like oh yeah I love dressing and looking like a man, unless that is them and their style. Also their is a difference between dressing tomboy (dressing like a boy) and then going and getting all guy stuff and literally dressing like a man.

• Yes my question was referring to the second choose... getting all guy stuff and literally dressing like a man. Thanks for your comment!

What Guys Said 6

• Cause it's f***ing HOT.

• I'm not joking. I love a girl who has a streak of independence and a sense of comfortability.

• Oh, and also, there's a certain sense of sexiness when a very attractive girl isn't TRYING to be attractive. Guy's can usually tell an attractive girl through almost anything, clothing, glasses, you name it.

• You may want to question your orientation.

Or courage.

Or both!

• i guess it depends what you mean as "dress like boys" - are you talking jeans and over-sized shirts, or full blown trying to be seen as male? the first, maybe they prefer the style and like it being fuss free (pretty hot actually, with the right personality), the latter they're probably questioning their gender identity.

• I'm talking about wearing guys jeans and guys shirts

• Usually they are lesbian in most cases along with lots of tattoos and piercings, however they don't go this fast I guess some girls just dress more like a guy because it's bit more convenient

• They prefer the comfort and style of men's wear. Not all girls who dress like boys are lesbian. It is one of those things in life.

• Because they're lazy. That simple.

To be honest.. there are many cases when girls dress good and look good only and only to attract guys... once they get the guy hooked - they let themselves go. That's the real reason why many guys have "attachment problems"

Luckily this is not that way where I live - here girls have self-respect and dress nicely also for themselves, but I've heard many crazy stories about how women are like more in the West...

• I might be the only person in the world who thinks this, but I think it's hot. And I don't think it's laziness given some of the time androgynous ladies put into their appearance.

What Girls Said 9

• some people think beyond the social constructs of gender. and not all people strictly identify with how gender expression is defined in our society. nature doesn't know or care about clothes. we were born naked and we walked around naked before we made clothes. people in societies create clothes and then tell people what they should wear, they define what women should be like and what men should be like and what they should look like, they tell everyone what they should do.

do you do everything that people tell you to do? or do you sometimes just go with what feels right, regardless of what people have to say about it? well, this is what those girls are doing. tradition is pretty restricting and there should be more room for different gender expression in society. not all girls feel comfortable in dainty dresses and heels. there's nothing wrong with that.

short hair is the same story, although boyshort hair on girls where I'm from is not really seen as a big deal.

• a lot of these women are lesbians/bisexuals but a lot of them arent. and likewise not all lesbians and bisexuals dress that way. I'm bi and I know tons of lgbt people and a lot of the queer girls are "femme" or "lipstick." A LOT of us. I'm not over the top girlie (at least not all the time) but I'm pretty femme. I do love my jeans and stuff but that's not really masculine to me. anyone can wear any kinds of clothes. there's no natural or national law that says they cant, at least not here.

• I wore guys clothes and had my hair short (above my neck, but not lesbian short), because I thought it made me look me cute. I'm straight, I just like that whole gender ambiguous thing. Difference is I wore girl pants (I hate baggy pants ><), make up, and did nail art... So I was obviously a girl. I like dresses and things, but not to wear everyday...I can appreciate them, but I feel more comfortable in what I wear.

Random, but I see some lesbian chicks that dress like guys, and they make some good lookin' guys. :I

• what exactly do you mean by "dress like boys"? Like what clothes?

• Men jeans with like men shirts. one example is think of a girl shopping at armani and buying the boys stuff instead of girls..

• It's comfortable and less stress

• Why does everything have to be a question; "well why are people doing this, why are you wearing your hair like that?" I mean really, is it even any of your business too know? Can people not live their lives the way they want without be questioned or critiqued? why do you even care, just worry about yourself. Find your life, that's my motto. People are always worried about things that don't concern them, that's why our world is so fĂșcked up smh

• I'm not worrying or trying to critique anyone. If anything, they stand out more in a good way because they are not trying to follow the trends which most girls do. Most girls follow trends and if they don't there seen odd... I was just curious, this question popped up in my head today, did not mean to sound negative, because I am far from being a negative person :-) but overall your comment is right! I agree !

• Oh OK, well the way you worded it, kind of through me off a bit. But thanks for verifying aha :P

• I am a girl who's definitely straight but I do like dressing as a boy. I'm not really sure why but once I hit middle school I really wanted to dress like a boy. I found myself making accounts online pretending to be a boy, yeah. So I cut my hair short and wore baggy clothes and jeans with sneakers. I even put in makeup with many different tecniques to fit the part. I'm in high school now and still do that. I am not transgender but for some reason I like being recognized as a boy, but on the contrary am openly a girl. I don't act like a typical boy and I still flaunt around like a girl; but I just wish everyday that it would be nicer if I were born a boy, but I won't change, I'll always be a girl.
    So in my opinion, many girls just want to be equally treated as guys or that's it's comfortable to them and they just have a boyish nature to them, I dont really know.
    I'm still trying to find an answer to this myself~ ( ^ u ^ )

• No, not all of us are lesbians. I have a masculine looking face and feel awkward in super girlie clothes, like I look like I'm trying to fool someone. If I was born manly looking I might as well stick with that look.

• I think it looks good if the girl can pull it off. Anyway, androgyny is constantly in fashion and many top models are famous for their androgynous looks. It could be because it's in style.

• I don't think it matters