Meaning of "You look different..in a good way" ?

I saw on here a question about what it means when a guy says you look different, but it's kinda vague so... I just saw this guy (who's kind of a friend haha) that I've known for years. Sometimes he's nice, but other times he can be a real jerk. I haven't seen him in almost a year. He hugged me today and I don't think he ever has (if so, then maybe once or twice). And he tells me "You look different" and I say "Thanks?" And he says "In a good way"...Just wondering what that meant..Thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say it's bad. I've heard chicks say this before. For some reason, people use "different" as some type of jab.

Think about these two statements, and which would you prefer?

"You look different, in a good way."

"You look good."

One of them is a sort of "back-handed" compliment.

What Guys Said 4

• It means (by my standards at least) that you look more attractive to him now than you did before. You changed for the better...

• You look different than you did before. Maybe more mature. more sure of yourself. something along those lines.

• Its a good thing. Means you've changed something and look better now.

What it 'means' as in does he like your or not- who knows. Maybe he does like you and maybe he's just paying you a friendly compliment. Doesn't automatically mean either.

• it means you look diferent and he likes the way you look. not too complicated

What Girls Said 1

• He's just saying that you look different than you did before. It may not mean better or worse, just different.

Having said that, it's a weird thing to say. If you thought someone looked good, you'd just say, "You look good!" But he didn't. So he may think you don't look as good as you did the last time he saw you.