What is your view on wearing thong bikinis in public?

My name is Alyssa I am 28 years old and I grew up in Brazil. When I was 18 I moved to the USA and went to school in Florida. When I lived in Brazil wearing a thong bikinis was as normal as wearing shorts and a T-shirt here in FL. Most of the beaches in Brazil there is no dress code and normally girls wear thongs and are topless. When I was 17 and 18 in Brazil my friends when I would go to the beach in just our thongs and when we got there we would usually take our tops off too. Now I know here in Florida it's not common to take your top off at the beach but I do still wear thong bikini to the beach my boyfriend loves it because I have the stereo typical Brazilian butt. Honestly I don't even have a bikini that is not a thong. Now living in Florida I obviously go to the beach a lot and sometimes I get looks from other girls like I'm doing something wrong or or they're jealous because their boyfriends are seeing me in a thong. none of my girlfriends seem to have a problem with it even when their boyfriends are around they don't seem to mind. My boyfriend and I and another couple went on his boat this past weekend and I talked my girlfriend into buying a thong bikini and wearing it on the boat I told her it looks great and it feels so free. Her boyfriend and her talked about it and she went and bought one and wore it on the boat this weekend. I don't see what the big deal is with wearing a thong bikini now I'm obviously not going to go into a restaurant or something like that in a thong but when you're on the beach tanning or on the boat what is such a big deal. Honestly in my opinion it's time for the US to ditch their diaper bikinis and be a little adventurous. Are there any other girls out there that wear thong bikinis besides me. What is your view on this

Most Helpful Guy

• If you want to blend in, you have to consider the culture around you. Doing something unusual for the culture will get the attention of other people. Yes, you can do your part in bringing Brazilian culture to Florida, but you may have to accept the rude stares of some people. If you can live with that, by all means wear your thong bikini. However, if you are uncomfortable with the reaction from other people then it is better to try to blend in. In the end, as long as you are not doing anything illegal you can do whatever you want (at least in the USA)--but that does not mean your actions will be approved by everyone. Personally, it doesn't matter to me what you wear (or don't wear), but society has its "values"...

For example, if you are in the Middle East you should not give anything to another person with your left hand. This is a social custom--the left hand is considered "unclean." While your left hand is as actually as clean as your right hand, it can be offensive to some people because of the culture. Sometimes it is better to adapt rather than provoke others. Also, displaying the sole of your foot or using the "thumbs up" gesture is offensive in the Middle East. When in Rome...

What Guys Said 10

• When in Rome..on a public beach, it's generally just not accepted in the US. I mean, it's not illegal, but you'll get a lot of guys coming up and giving you their numbers, and so forth, as you no doubt have discovered, because they assume you are 'advertising' you availability. Your boyfriend will get in a lot of fights if you do this in public. On someone's boat, among friends, it's fine...but you will find some girls get very jealous because of the attention you'll get from their boyfriends!

Sorry it's this way. I understand how it must frustrate you. It's similar in Venezuela where my wife is from, and she eventually had to cover up a little on beaches here, just for the sake of peace on the beach!

• Brazilian culture is working its way into Florida through Miami. But I think it will be a while before you don't get stares going anywhere but a clothing-optional beach.

BTW, I find the stereotypical Brazilian butt nicely contoured. link

• lol you hit it right on the spot with the picture

• I don't have much of a problem with that, but in the USA expect some gawking from the guys and dirty looks from other females.

• Wear what you want to. People may be very prudish in some countries, less in others. Even if children see a girl in a thong it is not a big deal(it would be made a huge deal). People are OK with kids see violence, and think perfectly normal for boys to fight, but they can't see a human body.

• Um what part of Florida? I live on the east Coast and do a lot of surfing at New Smyrna and Cocoa. Almost every beach in Florida has plenty of girls in thongs. Even a lot of guys wear skimpy swimsuits. The only people that have a problem with them are rednecks (they tend to be closed minded and have chubby/pale gf's). I can understand states in the bible belt or up in New England where everyone is a prude... but Florida? Spring Break central? Ha! Thongs are as common as palm trees down here. :)

• I agree completely. Girls gotta ditch the diaper bottoms and guys gotta ditch the dork shorts. I wear thongs at the beach. It is awsome! Now i just gotta convince my wife to thong with me...

And if you are out with friends and comfortable then they shouldn't care. I know i would wear my thong around my friends. Lol. They would care but get over it, saying i am weird.

• I think it's very sexy and hope it catches on. I don't think it would be appropriate at a family oriented place but around other adults I think it's extremely sexy and nothing wrong with it.

• But beaches can be family orientated. I don't think the stares she gets is just "jealousy" but more like people criticizing her because they think she's showing too much.

• I agree, so anywhere that would be family oriented I would not wear it. If she was on the boat with all her other adult friends I don't see anything wrong with it or other places that there were only other like minded adults there.

• Bring them on!

• If a girl has a great ass, the thong is always the hotter option.

• I think wearing a thong bikini is fine, especially on the beach or on a boat where it's the norm. However, I'm sure what the social rules are about going topless. I'm from England so we don't usually see topless women, even on beaches, over here. But I'm guessing in Brazil and maybe Florida things are different.

What Girls Said 13

• It's a cultural difference.

I think we always stare at whatever we are used to not seeing, it's human nature.

• Here in Europe we are open to the idea of thongs on beaches, but they are not too common on most beaches, however topless can be really common. I think you should be able to wear whatever you want on a beach, as long as your vagina is covered unless it is a nude beach.

• Do your thing as it is nobody else's business!

• People are used to covering up and not baring their sensual parts, unless they have a good looking body themselves.

• Sometimes thong, but usually commando

• If I'm in public, I want to get checked out, so I always wear thongs. If you like them, who cares what others think?

• No its normal, f*** them let them look who cares

• If you are comfortable with it, go for it.

• sometimes i wear one... it depends where i am and who i am with... i see nothing wrong with it!

• I think they are sexy but I don't have a nice ass for them

• I also love thongs at the beach. Because of my job I'm always traveling and when I bleep in Cancun for example I can go to the beach with my thing and topples. That's the same in Hawaii and some beaches of California, not topless but wearing thongs. Even in Florida like you said. I've been to Puerto Escondido, Mexico and there you can go swimming naked and that's great. Highly recommended. Lol

• i don't think it looks nice

• i think it sjsut a cultural thing. I wouldn't wear one becuas emy butt sucks haha