Why are people against seeing black people with colored contacts?

I just recently bought colored contacts which my family was completely against. I like them and I'm going to wear them regardless of their views, but I was wondering why people make such a big deal about them. I'm black and the first thing that my sister said was that I was trying to act white because I have green contacts. This is not the case for me at least. I just really like the way they look and I have a black friend who has naturally green eyes so it's not like it's something not found in nature.

So I was just wondering what you think about when you see an African American wearing colored contacts? What do/don't you like about it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I assure you, people are going to try and tell you that you're "acting white" with about 72% of the non-stereotypically black things you do.

You're pretty much going to have to ignore it and write it off as ignorance.

Besides, green eyes were a genotype that originally sprang up on the northern end of AFRICA.

This of course, was thousands of years ago, in the early days of mankind, which out-dates the creationist ideologies of most of the people who still promote racial stereotypes and generalizations as it is.

But I digress,

Short answer:

People are against seeing black people with colored contacts because it upsets the state of reality that they have become comfortable and familiar with.

I personally believe that nowhere in Europe or beyond is there a series of genes that would cause a human to have blond, brown, strawberry, and auburn streaks in their hair, but no one calls anyone out as a perpetrator for dying their hair all those colours.

So continue to do what you like.

You would not like the person you would be if you listened to all the ignorant ridicule.

What Guys Said 4

• If you like the way they look, that's all that matters, and no one should be making a big deal about it.

• I'm white, and my fiance is a black woman. To me, the perfect combination in a woman, is black hair, brown skin, and brown eyes. We often look into each others eyes for relatively long periods, and I just find brown eyes to be deeply soulful for some reason. Though this is preferable for me, I certainly have no negative reaction when seeing a black woman with eyes of a different color. Each to their own, but to my way of thinking, why mess with perfection. lol

• I don't find it attractive, just cos I prefer black women with brown eyes, which is what I'm used to. But if my sister or a friend wore say green or blue contacts I would be totally cool with it. Some people just need to get over themselves really

• i think because black people have dark eyes from ancestors living in the hot sun so people are no accustomed to seeing bright eys on a black person its kinda like when black people have blond hair

What Girls Said 12

• The reason why black people are against another black person wearing light contacts or blond hair is because of how society has put in our heads that lighter is better not saying that, that is how you feel but being dark or having dark eyes is supposedly dirty,bad, wrong. And being white or lighter is pure, and better than. That may be the reason why your sister said that you were trying to be white and you just simply like the color of the eye contacts. I think they are pretty no matter who wears, however have never tried because I can't stand anything being in my eyes unintentionally, let alone intentionally.

• I personally think it is really cool when I see an African American with blue or green eyes. It's not what you're expecting and it contrasts their skin and I think it makes their eyes look stunning. I think it's gorgeous and if you really like it then other people's opinions shouldnt matter.

• I think people look better with their natural eye color but most say crap about it because they like to talk mess. ignore them lolz

• I don't know why, really. I like to see tan or black people with colored contacts. I think they look exotic. Really pretty.

• I don't see why there's a problem with it. Green eyes are amazing on anyone. And with your skin tone they probably shine and show off your face more so there shouldnt be a problem with it. I say go for it. I don't think anything when I see African Americans wearing contacts, it doesn't really matter to me.

• I too am an african american female and my dad was against colored contacts anyway, but the reason he explained was that he felt like me changing my eye color meant that I didn't like myself the way I was. He didn't like the concept of colored contacts in general, not just for black people, but for all people. He said it's one thing to enhance what you have, getting your hair done or wearing make up, but he felt like by getting colored lenses I wouldn't be enhancing but covering up the real me completely. So, I met him halfway and got the kind of colored contacts that only brighten your eye color, but do not completely change them.

A lot of time when it comes to family disagreeing with things like that they just want you to like yourself the way you are.

• It just looks stupid sometimes. I hate seeing really dark skinned people with blue contacts it's like "Come on now, you know damn well those are not your real eyes, stop fronting". It just looks really silly when people don't get it right. But if they get it in a shade that goes with their complexion then it's not bad, it's just like any other accessory. It's how you wear it.

• I'm neutral about it, I think they make people's eyes look really cool because if your eyes are brown a little of that will blend kind of and the look really cool. if you like it go for it. your family alone might be against it because you're changing something about the way you look, like dyeing your hair? My family hated it when I dyed my hair once to a darker color...i'm white by the way with dirty blonde hair and I dyed it a darker richer brown

• I just don't think they look natural. Because of the natural darker brown behind it the false color looks matte and without the usual slight transparency of the surface of eyes of people with naturally lighter colored eyes. To me it gives off this thick kinda cloudy look. If they could create lenses that had more of a natural look even against dark eyes, I think they'd be very attractive. I don't think wearing them means you're trying to be white at all.

• I'm against people of all races wearing colored contacts. Just be yourself! Brown, blue, green, hazel, etc. colored eyes are all beautiful.

• i think it looks cute. it stands out and I don't see a problem with it. it doesn't mean your trying to act white. I have a friend (who happens to be black) that has red contacts and I don't think anything of it. I actaully think its pretty cool.

• There shouldnt' be a shock in to that. I'm Asian/ White and I wear coloured contacts and it's not a big deal. Everyone should be alright to wear them. I hate people who are too narrow minded and they make a big deal about it. Like when I dye my hair blond, it doesn't mean I hate the Asian part of me, it's just style. That's it.

• I don't like colored contacts on anyone. I think it is better to just be yourself.

• Yes I agree it is better to be yourself, but how will color contacts change who I am? I feel like it's the same as someone dying their hair. It is not a permanent physical change. I can always take them out. It would be like wearing an accessory.

• Same here I have gray eyes and people say they want to get contacts like that I jus dislike it can't be special without someone taking it away