Would you date a guy who is 5'7"?

All other things aside, would a guy of this height be on your radar, or would he still be too short and it be a complete deal breaker? The keyword here being "deal breaker".

I'm actually much shorter than this. I'm in the bottom 5% for men (1% to be exact). which means I'm considered to be abnormal (more than 3 standard deviations from the mean).

My entire life even since I was in grade school, I've been picked on, bullied, & made fun of for my height. Guys give me no respect, and women won't even bat an eye lash at me. On far too many occasions women have told me to my face that if I was taller they would date me, because other than that I was a great and attractive guy. Men will literally walk up and start hitting on girls I'm with, right next to me, because they see me as a joke who can't physically hurt them. Everywhere I go guys and girls make comments about my height as if I'm handicapped or something. Even my own friends draw attention to it because they don't realize that while I just laugh it off, I'm crushed on the inside.

It's gotten so serious that I've literally contemplated suicide because I just cannot take the pain of dealing with this anymore. I'm losing the strength to keep my head up when every day people make me feel like a freak, or when girls I've fallen for make jokes about my height.

So the reason I ask this is because after having done some extensive research, I'm very seriously considering leg lengthening surgery. Great advances have been made which make it relatively safe and complication free. The process only takes 4-6 months, you can gain about 3in with today's new technology, and there is relatively little pain and scaring. The only negative is the money. However, I'm very fortunate to come from a fairly wealthy family who I know is very supportive and would have the ability to pay for this if it came to that point. I am certain that a doctor would consider me a prime candidate for this surgery, given a variety of circumstances. Again, I've done a lot of research.

Personally I know I would be 100x happier by just having a few inches. I'm not looking to be a giant, I just want to stop being looked at as a freak. That said, I know I personally would be very satisfied with this height (which is about the 40th percentile for men), but I'm just curious as to how women would see it? So again, if a guy who is around 5'7, is that a deal breaker for you or is he still plenty tall enough.

BTW, if you are a girl who is like 6ft tall and you still say no, I understand. You don't have to lie. You won't hurt my feelings. I respect a women's preference to not like shorter guys. I probably wouldn't either.

Oh I might add, just as some food for thought. When I say 5'7, I referring to height with no shoes. With the shoes I tend to wear, I'd prob be 5'8+ when in public if I had the surgery.

• It's NOT a deal breaker. I'd def give them a chance.
  • Deal breaker
I think a big reason people draw attention to my height is because I'm just below that threshold were something doesn't seem right to people. I'm not just a bit short. I'm excessively short enough that it draws peoples attention. I know this because random strangers or people I just met will comment about my height, sort of like how people do the same thing when they meet a person who is like 7ft tall. Many times this includes them asking exactly how tall you are.
Also, read the question. I am not currently 5'7. I am 3-4 inches shorter than that.

Most Helpful Girl

• No biggie for me. My boyfriend's height is actually around that, but I can't remember the number. See? I don't remember it because I don't care about it.

Granted - I'm short as hell myself. I'm 1.53m (about 5'), so he's taller than me but not by much. I could match his height if I wore very high heels. Still, he says he feels okay about his height. Yeah, he's short, but he doesn't let that be a burden, he has confidence and his friends won't pick on him because of it. He happens to have broad shoulders and goes constantly to the gym so he looks fit and strong, which may help further. (he didn't look fit before and it wasn't a big deal for me, though).

I know how a short height can be a burden in a man's confidence, but remember there's always more than meets the eye - which sadly other people may not try to see past though.

If as you say, your height's taken you to the point you've seriously considered suicide, you're a good candidate, can afford the surgery, and are convinced you'll be happier, I don't see why not go for it.

Other than that, you can always try looking for adequate shoes to boost you up a little, exercise a bit to look stronger/fitter (will improve appearance and confidence) and try looking for shorter girls. There are not too many, but I'm positive there are. I'm short myself, yet I've seen girls who are about 3+ inches shorter than me! don't give up! :)

• 3+ shorter than me as an average, but I've seen others who go further down to a complete head difference or more. They're very uncommon though.

What Girls Said 35

• hey , first check that

link

so you are nearly 162 cm before surgery and will be 170 cms , which is really not a problem at all , iam probably 5'5 cause iam 164cm , so iam just 2 cms taller than you , and for me iam not considerate short at all , and I know tens of male-friends who are of my same height and they are completly normal , I even know a guy who was in my school which we all almost had a crush on him because of his eyes and beautiful smile -rather than his height,and he now have a great girlfriend who adores him and they are about to get engaged , and I think he is in the same height of yours , so dude it is okay , well many girls prefer taller guys ,but I knew many girls who fell for guys with your height, but still if the surgery will definitely make you feel better about yourself go for it , for me I just had a nose job cause my nose was really affecting my confidence , and now I feel much better about myself :D , and yes I was hesitated for years but I finally took the step and it looks much better ;), goodluck

• My previous boyfriend was about 5'7", we dated for about a year.

His height was never something that bothered me, at all. If anything I really enjoyed it, hugs with him were awesome, I could fit into a lot of his clothes, etc. HOWEVER he frequently made a big deal about his height. It was obvious that he was self-conscious about not being taller, and that sometimes annoyed me because I always thought he was just fine the way he was. I tried to tell him all the time not to make sure a big deal but he clearly wasn't getting over it anytime soon..

Anyways, when it comes to guys I date, I like them to be as tall as me, or taller. I don't have a specific height preference besides that. Voted A.

• Height is not something I have super specific standards about. If a guy is shorter than me I do see that as a slight drawback, but still not a deal breaker. I'm sorry you've had to struggle with your height that way. It's shocking to me that people would behave like that- I can hardly believe it. Whatever you choose, please know that there are better people out there and no matter how tall you currently are, there are definitely girls who won't be bothered by your height. You just have to find the right ones (probably girls who are also on the short side).

• I've dated a guy who is 5'2, which is 4 inches shorter than me. He was amazing, smart, funny, and sexy. At first I was a little worried about the height difference but he didn't seem to mind and actually loved my height. I honestly would love to date him again because we were a great couple and loved spending time together. It didn't work out for other reasons, his height was not a factor.Height is and never will be a deal beaker for me. It's all about how I feel about a guy overall and how he makes me feel. Don't ever change yourself. I know it's hard but you will find someone who wants you for you. Stay positive and good luck.

• Of course. My boyfriend is actually 5'4" and I'm 5'5" so he's an inch shorter than me but it doesn't bother me at all. Height is not a deal breaker for me.

• Most of the guys I've date were in the 5'7"-5'9" range. I'm 5'5" Myself. As long as they are taller than I, even if it's only by one inch :)

• I'm, 5"9 and probably wouldn't date a guy shorter than me but I have shorts friends who would love your height

• I'm 5'2 so it wouldn't be a deal-breaker to me.

• I'm 5'1". That would still be tall enough for me.

My brother is like 5'3", and he has a friend who is even shorter than him. They just deal with it and date short girls. My brother dated a girl who was older and taller, wasn't a problem. I think you're being dramatic. Maybe it's you girls don't like, not your height.

• I am 5'7 myself and I wouldn mind dating a guy my height and I know many shorter girls who wouldn't mind dating a 5'7 guy.I wouldn't like someone shorter than 5'7 though but not like I am never gonna give them a chance but its just that if he were as tall as me or taller then it would have been better

• I'm 5'9" and I've dared guys shorter than I am, one was just barely 5'6". I do like wearing high heels a lot, and if it's no issue for the guy, it's no issue for me. The guy I'm currently dating is just about 6'5", but his height is definitely not the reason I'm dating him, in my experience some shorter guys seem to be uncomfortable dating a taller girl. I don't think height should be an issue, but it sometimes can be.

• Seems like a very common and normal height

• I've been in a relationship with a 5'7 1/2 guy and I'm 5'7 for over 3 years. The height definitely wasn't the reason why I broke up.

• Yes, I'm 5'7 and I don't have a problem with dating someone my height.

• No, that's too short for me.

Granted, I've talked to a couple of guys who are 5'6" but that was when height wasn't as important to me.

I'm 5'5" - I preferred the guy to be 6'0"-6'3" (or 6'4"-6'6")

It'll be wee bit difficult for me date a shorter guy.

• For me it's not. I'm 5' and would date a guy of any height, taller or shorter than me.

• 5'7 is the perfect height.

my boyfriend is 5'7

• you are in the wrong country. go to a country with shorter people.

• Yeah, I'm 5 ft

• I'm 5' 5" so I wouldn't care.

• Not a deal breaker at all, I'm only 5'4 and my ex was like 5'8. Not a big deal lol.

• A. I am 5'1 that is tall for me

• Of course. He is around my height.

• i would, I'm 5'9 and I have dated guys shorter than me

• im 6'4'' tall and would have no problem dating you. I have no height preference period.

• Honestly, no. I'm 5'7" myself and I would want a guy to be at least a few inches taller than me.

• Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me since I'm 5'5 myself, so you'd be taller than me. I don't care about height unless the guy noticeably shorter than me. I've liked guys who were slightly shorter, the same height and slightly taller than me. No biggie.

• I would. I'm 5'8" so he would be shorter than me, which isn't what I would consider ideal but you can't help who you fall in love with and I have been attracted to guys who were slightly shorter than me. I would be more disturbed with your mindset than I would about your height, because 5'7" isn't even freakishly short. Have you ever considered that maybe you have body dysmorphic disorder? I like a guy who is sure of himself and has self-esteem and confidence, regardless of his height.

However, I don't think I could date a guy who has had limb lengthening surgery. That would greatly disturb me. Especially if he did all that just to end up 5'8" or 5'9" which is still considered short for a male anyway.

Would a guy who is 5'7" be a deal-breaker? No

Would undergoing limb lengthening surgery a deal breaker? Probably

• dude 5'7 is fine, my boyfriend is 5'7 1/2...it's not a big deal

• i would date someone who is 5'7..honestly looks are just icing on the cake! I'd rather have the cake! personality matters to me the most!

• First of all, I'm only 5'5", so you're still 2 inches taller than me anyway, haha!

But yes, I'd date someone 5'7", I don't really care about height. I've dated shorter than me, my height, and even MUCH taller than me (I can't remember, he was either 6'7" or 6'9").

It's all good :-)

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 7

• It's kind of interesting though, it feels like shorter men have few options when in comes to women because of height. I wonder, should I assume I will be likely to be rejected by approaching a girl who is taller than me?

Another thing that crosses my mind is the idea of men preferring shorter women and women preferring taller men makes me feel that men and women really can never be equal.

This ideology still caters to traditional ideas of men and women whether we are in control of our attraction or not. I'm sorry but as long as this "truth" continues to uphold, then we, as human beings, are forever trapped in this void of inequality in that sense.

• Let's face it, height is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The only reason height is still important is because time and time again, people continue to make it important. This one thing sums up the fallacy in people in a nutshell. It is so ridiculous. I wouldn't reject anyone because of their height (I do not have a height preference) but that's just me. It seems to me that people with height preferences though was to cater to a profile which is pathetic.

• I don't think that most people care too much. unless she is a giant herself, then maybe she wouldn't want you.

• Had a similar chat like this on the date I went on last night. I am 6'2, and was commenting on how my whole family is short and I got some type of sporadic height. She seemed to express that she liked a taller guy because it made her feel safer/etc.

It really boils down to personals, but id say the general consensus is that a taller guy, has a better chance in the grand scheme.

• Yeah this seems to a common reasoning for women.

• I'm 5'7" and not single, you have a good chance :D

• I would hope so since that is my height

• i had a friend who got with dozens of women (truly) and taught me everything I knew about women.

he was 5 foot 6.

• Lol. 5'7 is not the bottom 1% of height for guys. You're very dramatic

• read the question. He's not 5'7 currently. He would be 5'7" if he had lengthening surgery

• What ipood said. I'm not crazy. I'm not one of those people who is 5'10 and stresses over being taller.