3 reasons why I think being able to see who upvotes/downvotes opinions is a REALLY BAD IDEA

Hi GAG people, how are you doing today? Some of you might agree with me, some of you might not, and some might even hate me more. This myTake would be about the upvoting/downvoting issue.

1. DRAMA

Oh! I'm too young to deal with the drama that this would create!! There are a lot of immature people on this site! "Why did you downvote my opinion?" Not to mention, the blocking! I'm pretty sure more blocking is bound to happen.

2. More annoying notifications

I don't know about you, but I hate notifications in general!! But it would like a million times more annoying getting unnecessary uptvoting/downvoting notifications!!

3. GaG being slower than a turtle

I'm usually indifferent to the updates but this is just a really bad idea, GaG is already slow as it is now! I don't want to deal with GaG crashing all the time, and I think you don't want that either!

THE END,

*runs away*

cl_517 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 11

• I don't know about you guys, but I live for upvotes. My self esteem relies on being upvoted in the polarity contests. Please up vote me, I need gag to approve of me. 😂😂

• Well I always said that people should see the upvotes only.

• 1) If people are too immature to not accept the fact that others can dislike their opinion, then it's their problem, grow up.
    I've always said the blocking feature should be deleted. It's stupid and only helps the immature and trolls.

2) They said you can turn on and off the notifications, so that's not a problem.

3) I don't know why it goes slow for you, but to me it goes pretty good, as fast as most sites.

I don't see any negatives to adding this feature.

• Okay normally I agree with your takes but on this one I disagree.
    (1) Drama - I am looking at at new way of approaching GaG and seeing likeminded people to me would be a good thing so I can look at their profile to see their questions/takes/opinions - Most likely anything they talk about will interest me and will guide me to stuff I want to comment on.
    Downvoting is just fairness, it is pure arrogance to only want upvotes and be told how great you are. Any blocking is great just means you don't have to deal with negative people again. If someone blocks me so be it and if anyone annoys me I don't hang around to discuss it, I block in a nanosecond.
    (2) Notifications - Since I am going to curtail the number of posts I will be invovled in, my notifications should not be that high. Anyway I think you will have option not to receive them.
    (3) I am mainly on phone using GaG and in fairness to GaG, I haven't noticed a slowdown.
    In conclusion upvotes/downvotes/MHOs are the only indication of how your comments are being received. I want to be as positive as possible and welcome any constructive feedback, anything that makes me a better Gagger.
    7216-presscdn-0-76-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/.../life-quotes-constructive-criticism1.jpg
    marketingideas101.com/.../...s-criticism-quote.jpg

• To be perfectly honest, I'm rather indifferent. I have my own reasons to upvote or downvote comments, and it doesn't bother me whether people know or not.

• Please don't downvote me. <3

• Also having it so you can see will destroy the secret admirer posts. One of the best things about this site is the anonymous option so if you can see who upvoted/downvoted it gets rid of that.

• I totally agree! (Though, G@G says we could disable the notifications, just like the "asker upvotes" stuff.
    I really hope this doesn't go into practice 😵😡

• people jumped on the yes vote to this new suggestion without thinking it through very much. What is likely to happen is that there will be far fewer people voting in general... especially on posts concerning controversial topics. It will undoubtedly cause drama, especially if they allow people to go back and see who downvoted them in the past. I really wish they wouldn't try to "fix" things that aren't broken. The upvote/downvote system has been working fine for years now... so why throw a monkey wrench into all of it?

• I fully agree, bro. I don't see the positives at all of seeing upvotes and downvotes.

Im begging you @GirlsAskGuys , don't destroy your site by making this change!

• I hate notifications too, but loading time is not so harsh on me but I can imagine it can be for some people.. but I'd like to clarify :-

We. Love. Drama.

• Well for #2 you'll have the option to turn off the notifications (but I'll still want them).

• And lol GAG isn't slow at all... this is probably one of the best performing forums I've been on.

What Girls Said 11

• Agreeeeeee! I really don't care about downvotes or upvotes, it's a stupid idea, I hope gag stops thinking about this update. There are better things they can do!

• I agree completely with everything you say. If this were to be implemented, I don't think I'm ever gonna upvote anyone's opinion anymore to avoid the damn drama these drama kings/queens can caused.

• Good take. If this happens I'm not going to upvote/downvote anymore. I hate drama and don't want to be a part of it. 😇

• I already know who they are anyway. i take pleasure in... blocking them.

• I don't know why they brought downvoting back. There's one sad little person out there downvoting my every comment because she's a child who hides behind anon. (She'll downvote this too and prove my point) but Idu why we even have downvoting, it's pointless. I don't even care about up votes but it's not something that necessarily shows the best comments.

• Good job on your MyTake girly :)

• i agree with all of these points.. totally.. i actually told these in my opinion in the featured question.. so this is really a bad idea.

• But I love drama and getting notifications. I'm bored if nobody responds, upvotes, etc to me. Also like seeing people fight. Thought everyone was like that though lol

• I don't want the laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!!! My phone has a hard enough time as it is!

• Yea hopefully if GAG implements this feature {I hope not} they allow us the option of deactivating it.

• I agree completely.

*runs away after you*

• Thank you pretty!! Now let's run until we get tired!! 😂

• Aww you won't keep up with me then XD I'm a soccer player 😂😂😂😂

• Aawww nope I won't. 😓

You can just.. Give me a piggyback ride obviously... 😇