Flying Blind on GaG: Why can't we stop doing this? We're talking to ghosts!

Today while logged on to the site, I saw a question from an anonymous girl, asking why her friend or boyfriend always walked ahead of them several steps.

Now in some cultures, this behavior would be considered quite normal, while in the US most people would find it bizarre to varying degrees.

But since the questioner was anonymous, I really have no idea what to say to her. Without at least a general idea of her cultural background, it's impossible to give a worthwhile answer.

Given that most questions here are anonymous, one could say that about the majority of those as well.

What most people do is ASSUME these anonymous questioners are from the US.

While the majority of users are from the US, quite a few are not; we do have a fair number from cultures where behavior in many situations is very different from what we expect here in Amerikay. And even if the questioners are from here, we in the US don't share identical cultural norms and values, do we? Something like 10% are foreign born here. Many more are still tied to their families and the corresponding country of origin.

I don't see why we don't ASK people for information on their ethnicity and cultural background when they sign up. It would be optional to give it, of course, but many users routinely give MUCH more extensive information on themselves to dating sites, and it's then spread WITH their picture all over cyberspace.

So why can't we at least ASK for it here? People would still be totally anonymous, for all practical purposes, (unless they choose to post a picture) with a colorful user name, but we could give more relevant and detailed advice if we know SOMETHING of where they have been and what they have done!!!!

And even with anonymous questions, it would be a great help if we could view that background information. We don't need the user name, just the information on cultural and ethnic background, to accompany even anonymous questions.

There would be greater involvement and interest generally if Gag didn't encourage flying blind! We might have less turnover, since there would be a greater sense of community to encourage people to stay on the site longer. AS it is, people tire of trying to advise cyber-ghosts, knowing only the approximate (18-24?.....are 18 year olds likely to have the same outlook as 24 year olds?) age and sex of the questioner in about 80% if cases.

This question comes under 'Gag community', but how can there be one when we know essentially nothing about the people asking 80% if the questions?

martyfellow is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 3

• 9d

You answer what you can and how you can answer it, and the user will take with them what they can from your opinion. Even if you knew the user was from say Spain or something, and asking this question, that doesn't mean you will be an expert on Spanish culture either even with the info.

It's common knowledge that most users here are from the US, so those foreign users can expect that there will be differences in the way people here might answer. Even advice given by your own countrymen and women isn't always the best, or true, or relevant, simply because they are from your own country.

You have to sort of keep in mind, this is an opinion based website. If someone isn't wanting to or hasn't supplied a lot of personal information, that's their prerogative. You may want to know more about them, but for whatever reason, they don't want to supply it, and so if they get certain answers based upon lack of info, that is what they'll get and conversely if you find it annoying or frustrating to deal with Anons, avoid their questions and seek out those you feel in your mind, want the same type of community you want.

• 10d

I think they should add which place they're from even when you go anon. Nobody would know who they were still but at least you know which region they might be from. Though they could just lie about that too, still better than nothing.

• 9d

I will never understand why people will post everything about themselves on Snapchat or on a dating site, but scream bloody murder if anyone suggests taking away their anonymous status here, even to the limited extent you and I are both proposing.

• 10d

I'm from the US, and this is completely normal to me, as I am SUBMISSIVE to my partner. He walks slightly ahead of me to ensure my safety.

What Guys Said 6

• 10d

>> asking why her friend or boyfriend always walked ahead of them several steps

Oh I remember that, I just answered they're ahead of them several steps because they themselves are WALKING TOO DAMN SLOW

• 10d

It's true that sometimes a use doesn't include relevant info. As far as I am concerned, that makes any opinion valid.

What's more annoying is when someone wants to dismiss your answer out of hand and the asker introduces "new" information to invalidate you. The sort of info any sane person with a real question would have included...

• 9d

For real. I really see the need to post / ask anonymously.

• 10d

That is a very good point - I sometimes feel the same way, you could be answering a question about crushing or dating only to find out later that there maybe cultural or religious implications you weren't aware of

• 10d

This wouldn't benefit people like me who come from obscure places like Latvia - people who know me here know where I hail from and I'm practically the only Latvian on G@G as far as I know - what's the point of the anonymity if it's gonna give out the biggest hint?

• 11d

On the other hand, anon users could give false answers when asked about culture, past history, etc. Not so sure about ethnicity. For me I generally don't care.. I generally only ask for more details when someone either gives a very basic or no description at all. With that said, I completely agree that age and sex is highlighted more than the not so great range of topics to choose a question or myTake under..

• 11d

Why on earth would they give false answers? If they don't want to answer, it would be optional so they could just leave it blank. Sure a few clown types like the ones who say they are from Antractica might do that just for kicks, but it wouldn't be a general problem.

• 11d

Because they decide to ask anonymously in the first place. There are some users that know others on here or other social media and have a fear of being "found out".. Here's the thing, If anon or general users wish to.. They have the option of including extra details in the description of their questions. I do believe there should be a change of the age range classification.

• 11d

They ought to bring the minimum age back! There is essentially no minimum age now.