Age Discrimination; A Voice for the Young

Here on GaG, there appears to be a war between the older and younger users. A few older users (18+) believe anyone under 16 shouldn't be allowed on this website and that they have nothing of value to say because they've had no life experience. Younger users (13-15) are starting to feel this austerity, making them feel undervalued and affecting the enjoyment they receive from GaG.

Many questions have been put to users to ask how they feel about younger users being allowed to use this site. The opinions vary but there are still many older users who appreciate young users and welcome them with open arms.

This question poll was asked by @Prof_Don concerning younger users and 51% of respondants believed that the minimum age should've remained at 16. However, the Most Helpful Opinion, eloquently written by @Stacyzee, showed her support of young users and for good reason.

I think it's great.
When I was that age I was very curious about sex and other adult topics.
The older generation spends so much time trying to shelter the up and coming instead of showing them what's really out there.
We can use this to our advantage and educate the younger people on how to properly go about things such as sex, relationships etc.
A lot of younger people wish they had older siblings or an adult figure to speak to.
I see it has an opportunity for some younger people to get the mentoring they really need.
Shaming themselves, and hiding in the background where they can speak to no one about certain topics causes more destruction if any.

Right now, all topics seem to be available to users of any age. A large number of users who think that people under 16 shouldn't be on GaG are only looking out for the younger users because GaG contains a lot of sexually explicit content which can occasionally shock an older user, let alone a young one. Younger users should consider this fact and not be disheartened at the statistics if they come across questions like this; we're looking out for you!

Alternatively, there are those who don't want younger users here purely because they feel they have nothing of value to say and don't believe they could provide useful information to most users, because they don't have much life experience. It could be argued that this is an understandable point of view and I don't entirely disagree with those who have this opinion but, someone's experiences and abilities should not be undermined because of their age.

Have you ever been told "you're wiser beyond your years" or that you're an "old soul", even when you were quite young? I have and it's incredibly frustrating to not be listened to or considered, purely because of your age. Others assume you have nothing of importance to contribute to a discussion because you haven't had as much life experience. However, some people have difficult upbringings, very mature social surroundings, have had to take care of a family member from a young age etc which all influences a person's maturity level. Age does become just a number in those cases. I'm sure others have been in this position and I know of GaG users who are currently in this situation, dealing with prejudice because of their age alone.

I've been told by younger users how they've been treated by some older users; they recieve a lot of ridicule on the opinions they post. It's one thing to to dislike having younger users on this site but it's another to alienate and mistreat young users when they've gone out of their way to help you.

The young need help from the older generation to avoid the big mistakes we made and to learn about adult life when they're at their vulnerable, curious age that we all once were. GaG is a great place for them to get the advice and information they need/want. We can all benefit each other. Age shouldn't mean anything here on GaG and it certainly doesn't tell you much about the person's character. You can be in your 30's and feel like a 16 year old at heart, you can also be an old soul like I was, thinking and behaving wiser than your years. I've seen 18 year olds acting like the stereotypical 12 year old and vice versa. People don't always act their age and this includes the young who behave older than they are.

I ask the older users of GaG to be more considerate towards the younger users. If a young person gives you advice on your question but you feel it's of no help or you assume they don't understand where you're coming from because they're young, don't express your disdain. Instead, don't say anything or politely thank them for their time. Treat them like you would other users. Let's try to stop younger users feeling alienated and make sure all users enjoy their time on GaG!

Hannah591 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 42

• I think the biggest issue on any site like this is that too many people worry too much about the merits of other people rather than looking after themselves

Live and let live, I say

• My opinion on it is that kids that are on here should have access to advice and information. Because people of all ages need advice and help and sometimes they don't always want to speak to their patents or can't. And there are adults on here that are pretty and can give a lot of help to them.

And they should be given advice and help if they require it

But at the same time rules and regulations need to be put into place because there is a lot of crap on here that kids do not need to be seeing or commenting on, i dont care how mature they think they are.

Now I have two little sisters and when I see some kid on here 13, 14 even 16 years old talking about sex or doing it or anything like that, they pop into my head and it makes me cringe it is disgusting and sick. And honestly they should not be allowed to see some of the sensitive and innapropite material on here I mean there is some pretty sick stuff on here.

• When I read this www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1472046-dating-a-married-man-right-or-wrong

I have serious doubts about the age of the person who asked that.

• It seems to me it's mainly the users in their 20s who dump on the teens.

• It's cause we miss being that young lol

• Exactly. I don't see these questions and comments coming from the 30+ group. And it definitely goes both ways. I've had plenty of people thinking that people as "old" as I am really shouldn't be here. Or that married people really don't have a place here.

• @Bellegirl21 true actually. I've seen teens asking why older people are here. They seem to think its a teen site. Some. Meanwhile admins think it's for 20-something Cosmo readers.

• I take their opinions with a grain of salt (and they display the highest level of religious fanatism along with the 30-45 group), but if their question is a valid question, I answer it as such. I see no point in being derogatory just based on age... Although I try not to be antagonistic in general.

• Good my take !

• I think missHannah that let all the ages participate because a girl or guy need to know about sex and all the good/ bad/ ulgy truths about it... After all the this n that's in the end they have been enlightened and also learned about it and thus can't be led by someone else to do it in ignorance and stupidity the end results of chances are odds for Vegas not a preteen mom that should of been becoming a teenager but like I've been saying your able to be a mother as soon as you get your period and most can step right up to the plate and be just that... but in defending your youth I like to HK think being more a civil society that one of the advantages of a society that's here is we can have lifes that actually give a yng girl the option to also be all that she can be... Not what what some old family tradition to give her youth to some man to use and abuse ,... No thanks

• where else are the virgins going to get advice?

• Young people have the right to be here and comment as they like.
    But when I see minors as young as 15 asking questions about how to have sex I just shake my head because they are the exact same kids who ask questions about whether they can get pregnant by having unprotected sex for days or not. It's like their parents live in a different household than they are and ignoring what their kids are doing in front of a computer.

• I agree with you they need to be taught by theryer parents! I think a lot of parents don't take the time in explaining things to their kids. My mother and I discuss a lot of that stuff such as birth control, condoms, contraceptives, etc. That way if I need her help I wouldn't hesitate to talk to her. Kids need to be taught be their parents so they don't end up as stupid as the examples above. Unfortunately many of the kids at my school are like the examples above =(

• It's difficult to take these people seriously, since when reflecting back to when I was "under 18" .. let's not even go there, I hope you get my point.

• My age is really 16. I put it there not only to challenge myself to talk on an equal footing with adults, but also to be honest about the scope of my life experience. I know I don't understand some stuff yet. I also know that on some issues, I provide better analysis than some adults. It's a tradeoff, yes, but at least I'm being honest. I don't really get that offended when people "just a kid" me, because I recognize that they could actually be right. That said, some people overuse it.

• I help them I just can't respect what they say simply because a majority of the time they respond immaturely it is not their fault but i do regulate who i have a conversation with, not anyone else reserves that right.

• When under 18 girls ask guys only for tips on sex...

I just cringed thinking about that. The cringiest cringe.

• Well when questions like "Does he like me?" get mixed in with some of the more serious questions, it's easy to get irradiated at the large quantity of kids asking questions that require a bit of common sense.

• Yes, I noticed that a lot. Most people on here look at the asker's age before posting an answer. Is they are too young, they just post "take care about other things, you will see when you will older".
    Il try to say that's not the problem, the asker could create a account with a fake age (for exemple, I'm 12, and my account shows I'm 27, so it works) to ask the question and have the answers.
    If the site had proof of the user's age, my policy could be a LITTLE different, but I don't know why the people under 21 could not talk about sex and sexual problems. That's my point of view of person that had a lack of sexual education, that's why you will see a lot of weird question from me.

• I heard that men's brains basically stop developing at age 35. I know most users here are not above that age, but I sincerely believe that young people have some really valuable input on life.

In particular, young people have grown up with, and take for granted stuff that us older people are still trying to wrap our heads around. In that sense, they are able to filter out the present and focus on the future in a way that becomes harder when you are just struggling to keep up.

So yeah, if you want success, listen to kids. Sure they will say random stuff sometimes, but so will old people :)

• Its a wise decision for the younger ones to get HELPFUL advice from the older ones before they experience what we the older ones have. I help as much as I can in my daily life if ANYONE asks me a question I will spend the time to share my point of view. Plus in this day and age the younger ones are experiencing stuff we did at an older age much sooner than they should so of course I'm gonna give them advice.

• I am openly ageist. I don't respect <15 unless they prove me otherwise...

• Questions from younger users are my favorite. They allow me to remember my high school experience and how much I wish I had someone to help me sort things out. And at the same time age doesn't always dictate maturity and experience.

• I support your point in favor of young users.

In my questions, i always read all opinions and at least thank all of them, even if they are from very young users and are not very satisfactory.

Young users should visit GAG more often, ask more questions and be ready to listen and learn from seniors. Some young users act like 'know it all' and only that i dont like.

• More from Guys
    22

What Girls Said 33

• Yeahhh as long as I'm not helping 14 year olds to have sex idgaf about age.

• Thanks, I appreciate you making this myTake. It seems like a lot of younger users like myself take things way more seriously than some older users. It's understandable that some adults are more conservative at mind than others and don't think we should have input in sex, but it's all around us so why stop it on this site?

• 100% agree because just sheltering them isn't going to make what happens in life go away. They are going to learn at some point. Might as well learn it while they are still young so they won't make to extreme of a mistake.

I mean any time your looking up children in history meaning 10 and under. You see kids who were already smoking, working jobs, etc . Nobody sheltered them and they probably were more exposed to very scary experiences.

If most people think people these days are way to sensitive I blame it on the older generation trying to shelter the young. Don't teach them to be ignorant and then once they are adults call them stupid for not knowing or acting sensitive. It's probably due to the fact nobody ever told them how to stand up to certain things in life or how to handle them.

Life can be cruel so they need to learn the second they hit puberty. That way when they are faced with the cruelty they will have a better idea of how to handle it.

• We can be just as mature as someone who is over 18. We should be able to be taken seriously as well, and it's kind of sad that we aren't. I believe that GaG can be somewhat used as an educational tool for relationship experience and sex. It shouldn't be censored.

Now, if younger users are trying to hook up with older men and women, that it when it should become an issue. That is unacceptable and should be monitored.

• Well said

• But when the younger person is willing to participate or even beginning the inappropriate PMs who is ther to report it?

• I'm glad that you wrote this take. It's about time someone took a public stand for the younger generation and a widely seen one at that.
    I'm glad you looked at this topic with different perspectives.
    It's great you stated that teens can have a mature outlook (which are contributed by many factors in their lives).
    It's also great that you stated although someone is of age , that doesn't mean there is credibility to what they say because despite their age (they too like certain teens can offer an immature response or one which lacks experience).
    What these teens are going through is "ageism" - prejudice or discrimination based on someone's age.

At a very young age, I too have been told I am wise beyond my years.
    At age 28, even I face ageism.
    in the gag world your typical user is 13-35.
    So, of course I don't face that here.
    In the real world, I'm still much younger than a large amount of the population.
    As a professional when I explain things to someone 40s-90s sometimes they may look at me as if I don't know what I am talking about because I am much younger than them.
    In any shape or form we have all been discriminated against even if it applies to a different aspect in life.
    We must stop this !
    It's okay to preferably want to hear from someone of a certain age. But to treat someone wrongfully based on something they have no control over is plain wrong.

• I couldn't have said it better myself! I'm glad you liked it and I'm glad I got the message across correctly, I'm not very good at that sometimes.
      I experience a level of ageism in my job, it can really suck and make you feel inferior. I can totally understand where these younger users are coming from. I would hate to come on GaG and be treated differently because of my age.

• i agree. i don't judge by age. i'm also open to learning things from people younger than me.

• Great take!

• I don't mind young people being on the site. I would rather have them ask and get solid answers than remain uninformed. But at the same time, I am uncomfortable posting answers to sex related questions that are posted by teenage boys, because that just feels creepy to me. I don't want them to think there are suggestions, hints, or invitations being sent out. There aren't! Also seems awkward in the same sense when I see guys in their 50's answering sex questions for 13-14 year old girls. So hopefully our users just practice some discretion.

• Darn it... I wanted to be the one to write this. Normally I have a lot to say and defend us minors.

But excelent MyTake.

• Excellent- it's a double L

• I've tried myself to defend y'all on my question thingy LOL ^_^

• @T-shirtsandknee highs

Do you seriously think I don't know that? I'm sorry I didn't take the time to read over my opinion to make sure I pressed the l button twice.

• Some under 18s make us look bad...

• Good post. I am guilty of not listening to younger people... but this made sense. However, I don't think anyone should really use GaG underage or at least be allowed to post pics. MANY underage girls (14 years old) are posting half nude pics of themselves.. that is just dangerous and opens up a lawsuit for GaG

• Technically I believe that at any age you could be wise and stupid - I remember I commented on purpose that your young - it was a topic about weight but I love testing the limits of the human mind so that one was fun,
    I had people argue with me anyway, I think anyone should be allowed on this site as long as they are smart and have an open mind - however that is not always the case

• I noticed that younger users usually don't get serious answers, even when their question is serious and they're really seeking for help. I feel sorry for them.

Sometimes age is just a number. I know someone who's 38 and she thinks and behaves like she is 5. She thinks she's superior and that she knows everything about life, just because she's 38. It's ridiculous and sad.
    And I know people with my age who are way more experienced and wiser than her.

• I think that there is a certain age for everything. But when it comes to life experience, I believe that there's no age.
      So, I think that they shouldn't be discriminated. Just because they're young, it doesn't mean that they're inexperienced , immature or dumb.

• What the hell? Do you know how many lives this site has probably saved? Young teens can ask any question they want about sex, and get properly educated and informed. I know a lot of schools still don't teach kids about safe sex or the risks. It's good that younger users can ask any question and get the answers they need. This site helps with so much more than just sex, like depression and just issues that teenagers face on a daily basis. Age is indeed just a number. I know that for a fact because I've met plenty of people way older than me, who are idiots lol.

I feel like this type of social media can create a new, better, more open-minded generation. We discuss things like same-sex marriage and other things that are a big deal in today's society. I don't think you can be too young to share your opinion or ask a question. And instead of discriminating against any young users, we can actually help them. Think of it as a way of making your own difference.

• Yeah! what she said we can basically not have abortions! So essentially by choosing to not have sex were still killing fetuses!!

• I like this post! Hopefully this gets promoted because it is so true and I would know because I was 15 a couple days ago and now I'm 16. I really want to ask "How you like me now?"

• I find it weird that some adults think this site is innapropiate for teens, if anything it's less innapropiate or a baby to other things that are out there. Kids as young as 12 watch prn and search up things on the Internet we are are also constantly surrounded by this stuff in real life as well. Plus a long time ago (maybe 80's or 70's) little boys would read playboy magazines so I don't see how it's that different from looking at a naked body on the Internet. I also find people's views on underage sex to be weird as well, most people loose their virginites in highschool or college, highschoolers are FAR from babies or little kids, you have to remember that in highschool people can be around from the age of 17 or 18 not just 13 year olds.

• I had to laugh about the 70s and 80s being a long time ago. No offense. Lol.

• @crystalt70 To us it is, we weren't born then!

• Being born in the 90s isn't that far off. I was born in the 80s, but I don't consider the 70s to be so far away from when I was born. That's why it made me laugh. by the way, the 80s were the absolute best!

• Yeah it's pretty aggravating being a young user on here. Even though there is a lot of sexual questions on here it's not like we don't see it on tv, or in movies, or we don't listen to the dirty song lyrics there are. There is pretty much sexual content everywhere on the Internet, even if you search something up that's totally innocent you will find something graphic eventually.
    Plus most of the questions on here you don't need experience to answer, you just need common sense. Like if someone asks "is it a good idea to punch my girlfriend in the face during sex?" Yeah clearly I've never have sex before but I still know that you shouldn't punch her in the face.-.

• This may sound offensive but isn't this site like MADE for teenagers with questions. Adults don't really have so many questions like teens. And if they have they can openly talk about it with someone. That's an adult thing i guess. If teens have questions about sex of whatever... it's embarrasing to talk about it with someone we know.

• Yea I thought this site was for young adults (19 18) and teenagers too because of the categories and the way it looked so I was surprised to see 40 and 50 year olds.

• @lumos you're kind of proving my point right now. Tiny basically said that young people have more questions about life so they should be welcomed but you're criticising her because she isn't an adult.

• I'm criticizing her because adults can have just as many questions as teens, not because she isn't an adult. I would have said the same thing to her if she was an adult, minus the "you're not even an adult" part. Instead, I would have said "don't speak for other adults."
      Assuming that adults have got it all figured out in life and barely have any questions at all is not better than assuming that all teens are completely clueless and therefore shouldn't be taken seriously.

• We all are opinionated. That is why your given the satisfactory of choosing any person with an answer of relevance for MHO regardless of age.

• I don't know why older people would be against younger people to be on here granted should be 18 and older. I say that, but there are 13 year old mother's, but if they where introduced to sex and stuff that comes with it earlier in life then I bet you they wouldn't be mothers or father. I personally would rather know my kids are having safe sex then not know at all and if they are 13 and want to know well by G I am going to feel them in and not lie about a thing about it. Kill the joy of sneaking around and you won't have many problems. I was raised with very none harsh parents and with out the sneaking around I honestly had no urge to even do it nor my 4 siblings.

• More from Girls
    13