Fair Play: Confessions of an Attention Whore

This myTake is dedicated to @PeachSunset, who inspired me to write this. I hope you don't mind me giving you credit!!

Ok, so maybe I'm an attention whore, just like 89.9999% of women on this site. But, props to me for admitting it.

So what I'm comforted by validation so I don't forget that I'm beautiful? And don't give me that, "you should have confidence in yourself," etc. Just because I should doesn't mean I do. Insecurities exist-both yours & mine.

One time when I anonymously posted three shots of me in my undies & bra, asking if I had a good body, I gave MHO to a girl who said I had a muffin top & no butt. But you know what else? She said I had a beautiful set of boobs & she was jealous of my cup size, & that there's plenty of guys who would love my body.

See? That's tough honesty, but fair play at the same time. Because she told me something attractive about myself along with a criticism that otherwise would've probably came off as harsh, I still came out of her comment feeling okay, feeling like there's something beautiful about me to someone who even might not think I'm a 10/10. She was validating that despite certain things that are unattractive about me, I'm still pretty in other contexts; this is why I was more receptive to her criticism.

Want to get through to people like me? Be frank AND compliment! It's a little something called constructive criticism, i.e. building people up while getting your dead-honest opinion across.

I'm almost certain that this approach will save a lot of people resentment. After all, what's wrong with being a little nice?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 16

• Somewhat related, It's interesting how Gag often times attacks attractive women, calling them "attention whores" etc. like the beautiful women genuinely asking for feedback on rate me posts. And then excessively and endlessly work to lift up everyone below average. Which is obviously not bad practice, but interesting the push-and-pull I've seen on Gag.

• Most women are attention whores, that's because many many women are insecure about their bodies.
    Yeah, they may come out saying "we don't do this for attention" but we all know those two faces very well: the one they have when they get complimented, and the one when no one compliments her.

Good for you for at least being honest, unlike the other 99% of attention whores.

Oh, and by the way... Go Hawks! :P

• I think this debate will go on for time immemorial - I have no real strong feelings on what we shall call the true "Attention Whore" who seems to attract the ire of so many on the site but a take like this supports the use of the tactic I employ of treating everyone as if they came from a genuine place and wish to address a slight insecurity or validation. Not every insecurity can be as easily identifiable as "I just had a baby", "I lost 30 lbs" or "I never had a boyfriend".
    In reality it is wise to look in the mirror and think about your personality, only a fool would say "I am the bomb, I have no concerns at all". While thinking about this, ask yourself how many people are aware of your insecurity usually zero - I myself have a slight stutter and my fear is people will think I am stupid because I can't speak properly when I voice it, people say never in a million years would they think that so why do you dwell on it.
    When I go through that in my mind, is it fair to call someone a blatant "Attention Whore" , to me it would be very harsh to judge like that while I understand where the critics are coming from, we are dealing with people's feelings and if one innocent person's feelings are hurt, is it worth it for a point scoring exercise.

• Attention whore or not, I couldn't give a shit. I don't even pay attention half the time.

• You don't draw my attention one bit...

• Quite honest...

• Good thing?

• So what I base much of my worth on how I look? Does society not teach me to do so as a woman anyway? It angers me when people say, "Love yourself, beauty through confidence, etc." yet I grew up & am sophisticated by a superficial society where "inner beauty" is close to nonexistent & you have to be attractive to deserve anyone's time or attention, so what do you expect? Yes, if I don't look up to par, my self-value goes down. Yes, I need to be reminded every so often that (despite my flaws) I'm still fairly attractive in order to keep from going totally depressed. I hope you get what I'm saying.

• Yeah i got it..

• so should I look for attention cause I keep to myself 90% of the time

• I always hated on American Idol when the judges would never criticize the singers.

That's why I love Harry Connick on there. He's frank with you and will be direct and tell you want is wrong, but he'll also tell you what is right.

by the way, where are those pics? asking for a friend. ;)

• Asking for a friend? What? Lol

• Haha, not sure if I look too up to par in them!

• Somehow I think you're underestimating yourself.

• It has been a while since I last gave you a dose of attention. You are attractive. You worry about your stomach, and have not shown it, but from what I have seen I think you are worried for nothing. If others get tired of looking at you, send the pictures to me. And I will tell you that I find you great looking and I don;t know why your guy friends are not giving you compliments daily. Face and body, I love them both! :-)

• Haha ! Since you are an attention whore, let me feed the beast. That picture in front of the Christmas tree, roarrrrr ! Looking hot and sexy 😊

• Haha awesome!! Really? What do you like about it?

• The subject? Lol
      The smile, the sexy pose and the boobs 😊
      I love women with a little more skin on the bone. You've got roundness where it counts. Me likee 😊

• As long as it's where it counts!!

• Why is it when someone actually points out girls flaws on gag or say they aren't hot, or call them below average their usual response is "FUCK YOU!" ? Bitch you ask people to critique how you look, you can't expect it to be all positive.

• I didn't say that to anyone.

• KBob93 - I have noticed that you are extremely kind to all who answer. You are the exception, not the rule. Very Nice.

• Attention whores on dating sites are the worst. They should just put for their intent that they're desperately looking for attention and an ego boost because that's all they're doing.

I've had times where I'd talk to girls for a week or two off those sites and then when I ask them out, they're like oh I'm not looking to date or I'm skeptical of meeting people online. Then it's like well why the fuck are you talking to me then?

Then there's those who do agree to a date but ignore you once you give your phone number or suggest a place. Fuck those people. Like @Nuqood said, they can go play in traffic.

• I'll stick to my tactic of telling attention whores to go play in traffic.

• Butt her face!

• When I was like 14 or 15, like lots of guys that age I fixated on girls who would be considered 10/10 (whatever that means) and were like supermodel attractive. But as I get older and look at women in a more holistic way, I find that lots of times it's the little "imperfections" that makes a girl look perfect. I hope that makes sense. It does to me but I know it might not to others.

• Nice take and read ^_^

What Girls Said 6

• www.crushable.com/.../...-Nene-Leakes-Eye-Roll.gif

That's great for you!!

Attention seekers personally make my stomach turn.

I think they are pathetic, and have a false sense of confidence, which is only seemingly restored by those who kiss their ass.

They personally don't bother me however, because I avoid them at all costs.

• And by the looks of your photos, you're extremely ordinary.

• You dont have to be beautiful to have confidence.
      The true meaning of the word is accepting the things that you cannot change.
      Your flaws are what makes you you, and are a part of you.
      Instead of doing so, you seek approval for those flaws to get a false sense of worth about yourself.

I will not fall into your trap of telling you you are beautiful like you want to hear.
      I believe in people establishing confidence themselves not falsely having it stored in their minds.
      Good day!

• It'll absolutely humor me to tell you I used to be a stripper when I was 20. That was when I had the perfect body.

So it shouldn't surprise you or anyone that I hold these paradigms about having to look attractive to be worth anything.

• I don't really know the point of this take but...

some people won't like to have even slight criticism, they simply want adoration. Attention "whores" should seek therapy to address their severe insecurities though.

men can be attention whores too

• I like this rule!

• Hahahaha 😂 we all have our inner "whore" which we like to pull out in the midst of guys. If i'm going to be brutally honest I use it sometimes too at my own advantage. It was mainly a joke for the girls who flood the site with cleavage MILLIONS of times, and I mean millions, like everyday nudes. Thanks for the creds :P

• I haven't done millions of those! But thanks though.

• lol ok, I ll bite.
    although this take doesn t offer me any new knowledge in life, you still have a pretty face to look at. and thanks to your take I noticed you.