Gay Marriage, My Thoughts And Opinions

It's obvious gay marriage is sturring up controversy all over America now that they legalized it. Many people are cheering in the streets now that it is legal, while others are booking planes to Canada (little do they know it's legal there, too). Well I decided to make this myTake to express my opinion on the subject.

Gay Marriage, My Thoughts And Opinions

I'm going to get this out of the way- I am not a lesbian. However, I find nothing wrong with a person being gay or a lesbian. It just means they have a different opinion than you, which is okay!

Now, the main reason gay marriage is opposed in some views is because of religion. Yes, according to Christianity being gay is a sin. Yes, I am Christian, however I do not oppose gay marriage. I'm not going to tell someone who they should and shouldn't love. It's their life, it's their opinion, it's their religion, not mine. Not everyone is going to be a Christian, not everyone is going to agree with me, not everyone is going to be straight. (I can feel the negative energy from all the haters in the comments already). Just because being gay is a sin doesn't mean that we have to force everyone, even the non-Christians to opt out on gay marriage. It's basically the same deal as not being able to eat chocolate simply because your friend is allergic, or doesn't like chocolate. Yes, our country was founded on Christianity, but take a look around and you'll see that there's many other religions besides Christianity in the U.S. now. It's not fair to make everyone follow the rules of one religion, because basically then it's no longer a free country.

To my next point- if you are straight and against gay marriage it doesn't really matter! How does it even effect you? Just because they legalized gay marriage doesn't mean they made straight marriage illegal. And, honestly what's going to change in your life? You really shouldn't be rude to other people just because they have a different sexuality.

And another thing- why is gay being associated as bad? For example, someone does something idiotic- "That's so gay!" Why? And people constantly being stereotyped as gay even when they're not. They assume all lesbians have short, boyish hair and are cross dressers. They assume all gay men have high pitched voices and are "fashionistas". But this isn't even true, really. Sure, some of them may be like this, but just because someone is gay doesn't mean they are an exact stereotype. And just because someone has similarities to these stereotypes doesn't mean that they are gay, so you shouldn't assume anything before knowing for sure.

Anyways, this was a pretty short myTake, but those were just my thoughts on gay marriage. Whether you agree or not it makes no difference to me, I just want all the gay people out there to know that they deserve to have a proper marriage just like any of us.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 26

• From an amoral standpoint, being gay is "bad" in the same way that being a chain smoking drunk driver is bad.

Men who have sex with men, in the USA, are 2% of the population, yet have 75% of primary and secondary Syphilis, 57% of HIV infections, and 17 times higher rate of anal cancer. That 2% also has 10% of Hepatitis A infections, and 20% of Hepatitis B infections.

http://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/STD.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/viral-hepatitis.htm
    www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/index.html

We do what we can to discourage heavy drinkers, give people fines for not wearing seatbelts, do everything possible to shun smokers, yet we in the USA turn around and basically give gays faux-celebrity status. Why? Why do we embrace such a destructive, unhealthy lifestyle as good?

As far as the experts are concerned, no, people are not born gay. Going, "Well, why would people choose to be gay when it makes people hate them?" Isn't a valid argument, as pedophiles and rapists could say the same, along with incestuous couples.

www.theglobaldispatch.com/.../
    http://www.wnd.com/2009/05/97940/

And how does gay marriage being legal affect straights? Simple. Homosexual marriage will have a legal impact on straight marriage law, and to a lesser extent, traditions. What do you think will happen when gays start going to divorce court, and judges have to take in account things like how half or more of "married" gays are in open marriages? And that's one simple example.

• Yeah, it's weird that people think their beliefs are so important just because it was written down in a book, right? No, beliefs are just data that you think is true. That is all it is, and it should not entitle you to special discriminatory laws.

• What happens when Jesus comes back... what will you do then?

• @Buttercupbrownie yeah yeah Pascal's wager, I'll stick to the fact that if God punishes those that make their own choices by torturing them eternally, then he is a terrible person, and I would not obey him either way.

• God is not terrible we are the terrible ones. He sent his only son to dies for us so we wouldn't have to face that fate. God loves you so much that's why he gives you a choice. Your own actions cause your consequence. There are consequences for everything you do whether good or bad
      If you break a law now like speeding or murder you will get a punishment. The same with God

• What's next? People marrying animals or inanimate objects?

• Actually there was a lady who got married to a dolphin. So yes.

• Also there was a guy who got married to a game's female protagonist i think

• This site is now fed up with GAY questions n mytakes, one of the immediate reasons I am deactivating soon.

• I don't know why I'd care what your thoughts and opinions on this are.

• Then don't read it.

• Well now you're just arguing syntax. Every good writer knows that an opinion is naturally an opinion and you can leave out "I"s to make the writing sound better, but she's 15, probably still in school; it's highly unlikely she's a professional writer and knows her theoretical linguistics. Just as well, this myTake includes personal information (I'm not a lesbian, I am christian), and doesn't use much other use of "I" besides telling about herself, making it perfectly acceptable writing.

Besides all that, she did a good job of expressing her take. If you wanted a professional opinion, myTakes aren't exactly the place to go anyways.

• Well, I meant EVEN if she ONLY took out the personal pronouns but never mind people, I guess you're right that this isn't a place for professional opinions.

• I personally think that the concept of marriage has become completely useless anyway, long before gay marriage. I believe that it is a absolute load of shit and I can't stand how stupid humans are. The only thing marriage provides these days is the ability to combine you physical being with anthers via government documents, by that I mean whoever you marry now is responsible for debts, business, bank loans, morgatges etc.
    There should be another bill passed which has a different title than marriage. Marriage means nothing. at least the Gay couples are lucky though, based on their gender when they divorce the settlement will be 50-50 haha. This world has too many Idiots in control of Idiotic minds.

• It's a no-brainer. Of course gay marriage should be legal. At the same time, part of the argument was that because they were unable to get married, they couldn't gain certain legal rights like visitation in hospitals, spousal privilege, tax benefits, etc, but some of these benefits, especially taxes, depend on the fact that straight spouses are likely to have children. Simply from a biological standpoint, and I don't know the stats, gay and lesbian couples do not produce children. It's certainly not grounds to disallow them from having the right to be married, but it is interesting to think about, and at the same time, children from gay and lesbian parents are shown to be happier and healthier, so really they're doing these children a favor.

... Well that's all that was on my mind...

• its too gay for me in an ungay way full of gayness

• You shouldn't really have an opinion over same-sex marriage unless it directly affects you. Unless you're the one getting married to a member of your same sex, this shouldn't cross your mind, whether you support it or oppose it. It's just none of anyone's damn business. Focus on you and getting your life sorted out.

• Jeez sorry... I just thought I'd share my opinion on this considering it's obviously not dying down anytime soon... sorry if I offended you.

• Equal human rights, in the United States of America, should matter to EVERYONE! This (gay marriage) is one more discrimination barrier that is getting knocked down.

Society is progressing forward.

Get out of your minuscule bubble of "white young American male", and start thinking macro!

• I matters to me but face it, if everyone did just let things that don't have anything to do with them, then there wouldn't be this discrimination in the first place. It's okay to care, of course, but people having an "opinion" on what OTHER people should and should not be doing is what starts these "bans" on something that should be a right to anyone.

• For some points, I won't mention any specifically, you might want to do more research.

• Also, you can't really call yourself Christian, if you don't beleive what you follow. It's like an atheist believing in God, they're not atheist are they? Or a Muslim who believes in Jesus. Or Hindus believing in just one god.

• Retype that please

• Oh look, another 15yo girl writing a wall of text just to defend gays.
    I have this feeling wich i can bet my life that you watch some sort of gay anime/porn and thats the main reason why you defending them this bad.

• 1st of all please fix your grammar it's quite annoying that you type like a five year old 2nd of all I don't know why I would write a myTake about such a serious topic just because of anime, but if that's what you want to bet your life on go right ahead.

• That's funny how someone's life choice that doesn't affect you, bothers you so much.

Why aren't u happy for LBGT people having an equal human right to something such as marriage? Why keep them discriminated against?

Maybe I don't get something. Please enlighten me.

• Wrong! Nothing wrong in your opinion but that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it just because that's your opinion. Now you have pedophiles and polygamist coming forward proclaiming they have rights too. Homosexuals didn't think things would stop with them did they? The gays and their sympathizers have opened Pandora's box and I can tell you from a Christian point of view it's sodomy and it's a sin and not only that but the generation that sees these things will not pass way before Christ returns.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11. THOSE WHO WILL FAIL TO ENTER THE KINGDOM OF GOD
    "And nothing unclean and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it (the holy city, new Jerusalem - J. Q.), but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life." (REVELATION 21:27). Paul had given a list of things which, by the guidance of the Holy Spirit, he termed "unrighteous" and said that those who practice such things "shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

• You say you're a christian. You acknowledge that gay marriage is a sin. Let me put this into context for you:

Homosexual relations are a sin. Murder is also a sin. Stealing is a sin. I'm pretty sure these are sins in your Bible, am I correct?

I'm also sure that one sin isn't greater than the other; at least, that's what the Christian faith says. That's what makes you all doomed without Jesus right? All of you have sinned at least once, and are therefore barred form heaven without the blood of Jesus, or something like that. Kind of like one bad apple spoils the whole barrel.

Do you oppose murder? Do you oppose stealing? Taking a life, taking someone's hard-earned belongings, do you oppose such sins? How is gay marriage any different in terms of religion?

It's not. So either you need to question your identity as a Christian, choosing to oppose certain sins over others, or you need to realize that all sins anger your God. I don't think a Christian should support or be indifferent to any form of sin; whether or not the action harms someone is not the concern, it's the identity of the action as sin that you should worry about. Think over it.

• What about adultery? Fortification? Working on the Sabbath? Should we be actively lobbying to make those illegal as well?

• @PippiL If you read the Bible, you'd understand that the laws of Moses are defunct due to the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. As for your adultery, I find it odd and amusing that you'd list banning unfaithfulness to the partner you swore to as an unreasonable law. Perhaps you haven't been in a serious relationship, in which case, I completely understand your view of cheating as unimportant. I can safely assume that it's generally understood that partners in a relationship shouldn't be cheating on each other. While there may be no law against it, adultery has severe psychological and sometimes rather unpleasant physical effects. Perhaps you should ponder over the gravity of such actions before trying to inoculate adultery and squeeze it into your rigid world view.

• Of course I believe adultery is a horrible sin. I'm a Christian. But why should there be a law against it? Prohibition didn't work out very well, as you recall. You can't enforce your religion.

• I don't support gay marriage

However, I support marriage equality

• If you are a Christian like you claim then you should now that gays marrying is a problem for us as well. Not only does it weaken marriage itself but it also puts a target on other Christians foreheads. If you really are a believer then you should care as much about your neighbor that you should tell them when they do something wrong.
    Living out homosexuality is a sin and it will result in hell, and if you support gay marriage while being fully aware of their fate then you are not a real Christian.

• Weaken marriage? Oh honey, straight people have done this all along anyway without the help of gay people. Just look at the divorce rates, Las Vegas marriages, shows like "Married at first sight", Britney Spears' 55 hour long marriage, etc etc, the list goes on. And honestly, as long as people are following the laws, you have no right to butt into someone else's business and tell them that they're doing something "wrong". :) I'm an atheist, but I'm not going to tell you to become an atheist too, just because I personally think religion is not worth believing in.

• No, what I'm trying to say is that it makes no sense to not allow gay couples to adopt just because it *might* hurt the child, when in fact straight parents are capable of hurting their children just as much. How can you allow one but not the other? I mean, we're talking about the possibility of a child being harmed somehow, right? I'm saying that the possibility is just as high with straight parents (actually higher statistically since there are more straight couples than gay couples), but harmful in a different way. Which is why I think it's ridiculous to ban one but allow the other.
      Read. whatweknow.law.columbia.edu/.../

• @LightsOff I do not in any way try to defend or cover up the wrongs of some heterosexual marriages. You do however have to remember that it is the individuals fault in a heterosexual marriage, whilst the issue in gay marriage is the entire communion. Also about your link it is very hard to decide what to believe since there are studies that show both ways. I've read countless studies on why gay marriage is harmful for children but also vice versa.

And if you think that we should allow gay marriage because it "might" be as harmful as straight marriage, then it's basically giving up the fight. I think we should strive to make an as perfect world as possible, and allowing bad things just because there are other bad thins is not going to help at all.

• first thing is we have to do is get that theory out the way, that people are born gay cause when that popped up everyone believed it, unfortunately for the gay community it's not true, it's a theory and has already been disproven if I'm correct a few years ago. I can't support gay marriage not cause I hate them but because I believe in GOD, on top of that, all the evidence that leads to life on this earth is done through male and female we are designed to have sex that way it's very obvious, now how you feel doesn't matter, cause a feeling is a feeling not a fact, animals survive by having a male and female come together same for us, THERE'S A REASON EVER GAY PERSON IS ALIVE TODAY, now a side from that there are some gay people who have a lot of hate towards the Christian community they don't want a GOD with rules and standards to live by, they want a GOD that fits there criteria so they can do whatever they want, when they want, however they want, but that's not the case, GOD has rules he wants us to follow and GOD is not gonna change for anyone not even me, now how does this influence me it won't influence me cause I've made my choice, but it will influence the children cause the kids that grow up will be told this,(people are born gay, GOD doesn't exist, dinosaurs are millions of years, etc,,,,) they will be feed lies because parents lack knowledge and wisdom to teach there kids because they don't know either, a lie can spread like a disease starts off small but expands in time,, there's plenty of lies on tv all the time and people believe it cause they don't study

• Independent from my opinion on the topic there seems to be one misinterpretation of the entire situation which I see again and again.

Marriage is about love. No, it isn't exactly. While the religious marriage was about love, the goverment accepted and supported marriage wasn't. The point of a religious institution being part of the government has always been to secure and stabilise family-building as well as to encourage and support child-bearing (something gays can't exactly do).

Therefor "love-wins" misses the point completely.

• Oh noooo, families are going to be destroyyeedddd

• I am glad you managed to reply with such a mature rebuttal. Not to mention you totally disproved my point against gay-marrage - which I didn't make. You also managed to give me factual evidence as well as logical reasoning instead of an emotionally driven response.

I will bow down infront of your intellectual superiority. /sarcasm

Honestly though, you just mocked yourself with such a reply.

• "It just means they have a different opinion than you"

This makes it sound like being gay is an opinion or a choice instead of a sexual orientation.

"Yes our country was founded on Christianity"

No it wasn't

You're a smart kid and pretty young you still have some things to learn so I'll let those few things slide overall I agree with you and I like your open mindedness.

• meh... it's just ignorance.

• Gay marriage actually does effect me.
    I've seen a lot a gay dudes, you know what most of them have in common?
    They're in better shape then me and are waaaay more hygienic...
    So yeah, them being gay is awesome. That's 2. TWO dudes straight off the market. And less competition for me
    Thanks gay community!

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 14

• *sigh*... You know what, I am just sick of all the hype about gay marriage. I see it everywhere. Just marry and shut up!

• How can you be christian and be for gay marriage it opposes your religion. Against God. Just curious?

• I don't like the thought of gay marriage, and I certainly don't want one myself, but I don't want to tell other people who they can and can't be. Not everyone is going to be a Christian, so it's stupid to make everyone follow the rules of one religion. I'm ok with people getting a divorce, so shouldn't I be ok with gay marriage, too?

• I hear a lot of christians say "The bible was written so long ago they don't apply now" even though what their saying isn't true. They use that as an excuse to defy what God says I think.
      If you believe what God says is true about gay shouldn't you try to help them not encourage them... I really don't know... it's like um a gay couple in a christian church. I don't think that would be pleasing to God but everyone has their own views

• Yes... I totally agree with you. Although it's not normal, gay marriage should be legal everywhere because it's human right. Everyone can choose the one they want to marry or love. And we don't have to do anything about that. I saw some memes and internet jokes about that.

Guy-guy couple: Who will make us sandwich?
    Girl-girl couple: what do we do with all of these sandwiches?
    Lol 😂

I just read those jokes just for fun but I think that people don't have the right to say gay marriage is wrong. That's my opinion.

• Men like to fuck men? I could care less.

The problem is the unrealistic mindset of people about gays, that everyone today thinks all gays are discriminated peaceful abused and not abusive good human beings who want to live and let live and bullshits like that.

No. a group of them are more normal just like many straights are like that but from what I myself saw and experienced many gays and lesbians aren't even psychologically 100% stable. I've met annoying abusive lesbians who picked on my cousin and went to the point of abusing her. one obnoxious unstable one who wanted to abuse me.

Literally every lesbian that i myself experienced being with and tried to make friends with them made a bad memory for me. They tend to need permanent attention are overly sensitive and demanding and easily change behavior. And by no fucking power on this shitty planet forcing ideas to me I'd call that being psychologically normal.

That's just my experience. I don't care about whatever the fuck they want to do. But many of them aren't portrayed realistically.

I know less about gay boys but one of them was a bipolar boy I know that was again pretty unstable though not abusive. And another one was the most fucked up person in our neighborhood a man that eventually got homeless over some debt and was pretty infamous because of his abusive shitty behavior. He brought boys very younger than himself to his house and was up all night and we could hear him yelling at the boy don't sleep, he forced them to remain up and did shit that made us call the police three times. Our neighborhood is rich and mostly very quiet. He was that shiny shit between us that I'm glad he's fucking gone.

yeah, I don't care about where they want to put their dicks and if they want to lick pussies but I don't buy any of this overly positive shitty image of LGBT community that's being propagated.

• The talk about gay marriage is about the ability to have equal rights as citizens, and human beings.

You're acting like LBGTQ people somehow have legal immunity or something! Do u think they get lesser legal punishments?

• I really don't care if people straight, bisexual, or gay, I'll accept them for who they are. As long as their not trying to come on to me, then I'm good with them. #SupportingGays <3

• So what if a woman or a woman-to-man transgender comes on to you? Why does that bother you so much? Just politely decline and go along with your life. No need to be pre-emptively aggressive.

• It doesn't matter whether or not gays are legally allowed to be married, their going to be gay anyway. The fact is, allowing something that is so widely considered offensive opens the door for pedophiles and even those who commit bestiality. I get that your against hate, so am I, but even so you have to keep your eyes open to the seriousness of this issue. This isn't just a gay people thing

• I politely disagree with you.

Pedophilia and bestiality don't involve all parties participating as consenting adult people.

• I agree with you... isn't this the exact reason why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed...

• thanks for an amazing take #lovewins

• I agree with everything you said except the expression. Saying "That's so gay" is meant to demean gay people (unless if someone is specifically speaking of something that is considered homosexual). It's just another word for stupid just like gay is another word for happy.

I don't know why some people are so easily offended these days by things like that.

• I agree. Know what else is a sin? Divorce. :) So about 50% of the straight people who have so far gotten married, have also gotten a divorce, and thus have also sinned. Some multiple times, which could be taken as a sign that they don't take their sinning seriously or won't ask God for true forgiveness. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. Anybody? No? Alright. Thought as much.

I think it's ridiculous that people take some sins more seriously than others, just because it's convenient to them and because it helps them further their hateful agenda. Remember that when you're sipping on your shrimp cocktail, wearing your clothes that are of mixed fabrics, trimming your beard, having period sex, getting your tattoo, cutting your hair at the sides and when you're lying. You're just as bad as all these gay people you hate. :)

• Very good point!

• Eh, give or take a couple of percentages. The likelihood of people getting a divorce is still pretty high.

• i am a christian but we are not that special to have the laws of an entire country revolving around us. i especially love the last sentence/statement in this picture very, very true.
    cdn.whisper.sh/...a7598664f74f16d354db643a6-wm.jpg

• Yes, this is very true

• Oh sweetheart there is this thing called separation between church and state
      The Christian faith is not that special to have all laws of an entire country revolving around it when not every believes in it and yes that's ok

• And I am not gay but I will always be an ally for LGBT community

• I have found a discussion stating that the government might create a new law that forces a church to pray for the gay or lesbian couple if they request it. I honestly don't care wether people are lesbian or gay but I just don't want a church or any other religious building to be forced to do anything that does not abide by their religion.

• I understand that.

• Until churches in the US start paying taxes, they are to act as the government: non-discriminatory.

• Like the church would have to abide by non-discrimination laws for renting the church out for weddings? Or like ministers will be forced to perform gay weddings? Because the first may well happen, but the second won't. If a church acts as a business (rents out the church for weddings) then of course it has to be non-discriminatory. However, if the church is not making money off it, that won't happen. And no one is going to force churches to perform weddings against their beliefs. Hell, interracial marriage was legalized almost 50 years ago and churches can still refuse to perform those.

• I could care less

• A lot of people in this country dont understand what the seperation of church and state TRULY means. It means get your religious views out of the government. The country isn't going to hell if we let gay people marry, it means our country is evolving and becoming more accepting. People are people. What they do (aka murder or give to charity) determines what kind of a person they are. Not their sexuality, and as far as im concerned, the only thing that matters is if you're a good person or not, not you love. Im fully accepting of gay marriage and it is great to see this country become more accepting.

• Separation of church and state was started by the Church to keep the monarchies out of church affairs, and for some tax benefits.

So really it means keep your government out of religion.

• Well people in this country will go to hell... not just for this being more accepting. But walking in sin and denying Jesus Christ

• Have fun with that

• I can hear the #StraightWhiteRage simmering in the background. Wait for it... Wait for it...