10 Wedding Traditions from Around the World

1- Blackening of the Bride- Scotland 10 Wedding traditions from around the World

During this pre-wedding tradition, the bride is captured, then covered in mud , molasses etc...by her family and friends then finally paraded publicly for the community to see.

2- Cupid's arrow - Yugur people of China

The husband shoots his bride with a bow and arrow (without the arrowhead) several times then collects the arrows and breaks them during the Wedding ceremony. This tradition is made to ensure that their love will last forever.

3- The whale's tooth- Fiji

In Fiji, the husband-to-be must gift a sperm whale's tooth (Tabua) to the bride's father as a gift.

4- The Fatter, the better!- Different parts of Africa

In some African societies being fat remains a symbol of status and power. The chubbier the better. Women are even force-fed by their relatives as a way of grooming before the wedding.
Some wealthy families even pay for "Fattening rooms" where brides get excessively fed for a certain period of time.
Although some African societies still view being fat as a symbol of status, power, fertility and beauty it's becoming less rampant with the increase of awareness regarding obesity related diseases.

5. Spitting - Greece and Kenya

In Greece, spitting on the bride (mostly dry spit) is regarded as a symbolic sign of luck and good wishes.

In the Maasai tribe in Kenya, it is considered a blessing for the father of the bride to spit on her head before she leaves the village with her husband.

6. Amarya- Morocco

In Morocco, the bride has an entrance worthy of a princess. She's carried by 4 men or more on a structure called Amarya.

7. "Stealing" the groom’s shoes- India

The groom’s family tries to protect the groom’s shoes, while the bride’s side of the family tries to steal them during the celebration. This is a playful occasion to bring the 2 families closer! Sounds fun!

8- Bridal Henna- Horn of Africa, South Asia, North Africa and Arabian Peninsula.

Henna is commonly used for body art during the wedding celebrations (usually on hands or/and feet) in these parts of the world

Indian Mehndi style

Tunisian Harkous style

Somali Henna style

9- Smashing dishes- Germany

Dishes are smashed during the wedding so that the sound keeps evil spirits at bay.

10-Beating the groom’s feet- South Korea

The groom's feet are beaten with fish canes after the wedding ceremony. It supposedly shows strength of character in the groom.

ElissaDido is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 23

• In Romania, it is custom for the bride to be kidnapped and ransomed for beer which the groom pays for.

• #2. is a dream come true. I'd target her ass.
    #3. LOL have to hunt a whale to marry? I'll pass :D
    #7. Yeah! We have to bribe our sister-in-laws to get our shoes back :(
    #8. Wow! We have similar culture :D
    #10. Thank god Korean girls are lightweight :P

• in the old country Ireland we tie the bride and groom onto the back of a trailer and drive them around the towns and villages so they get pelted with eggs, flower and toliet roll

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_R7v5A3e8Bw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtk0FMiiyi0

Kurdish weddings... we do henna (we call it 'hine') the day before the actual wedding. Above is like a dance in the wedding lol, there's way more.

• kurdish people look so indian lol, they look more indian than the indians around me

• ok ur skin doesn't look that pale in the pic so i couldnt tell, but features are indian

• and even if u were paler, i would assume u were kashmiri indian or middle eastern based on ur features

• 1 and 5 are just so... wrong. On so many levels.

• interesting... good take

• Lol of course covering the bride in mud and molasses had to go to us -_-.

Those are interesting for sure but most of them impractical, unhealthy or unsanitary. I prefer American traditions to most these lol.

• Another very popular wedding tradition is marrying rich men (hypergamy) and then divorce them and collect alimoney, child support and custody. It's a symbol of easy leeching money for decades.
    Or to place an ultimatum to their partner that if the proposal will not happen then a break up is to follow up. It's a symbol of narrow mindedness and controlling and abusive behavior.

yeah. im so bittur and sour. grrr! X)

• Been to 2 Moroccan weddings and they didn't do #6, it's style was similar to how we do our weddings (Jordanians.) Is #10 still done in modern times? Cause that's just weird...

• Were the weddings held in Morocco? I have tons of Moroccan friends and they were the ones to tell me about this tradition ^^

• @ElissaDido Since I was a little curious I asked my buddy. I can confirm that you are correct ma'am though he spelt it "A'amaariya"

• In Germany we also throw rice for the very same reason.

• In Egypt, they lift the groom from where the wedding is held and take him to his house. Of course they'll be singing and dancing the whole time. An Egyptian friend told that.

• I will never ever attend such a wedding, Algerian wedding "CHAOUIA" ; dancing with guns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZDc3tG2Qiw

• The henna is pretty fun, but I think the breaking plates might be the best. Notice how all Korean games end up with someone getting hurt, lol

• Yep I'm aware of that shoe stealing and henna thing :P

• Marry me?

• I like the body art one

• in tunisia they fight for sweets :p ba9lawa hhhh

• hahah in what type of weddings do you go Najemeddine? XD haha actually we piss them off by refusing to eat they have to ask us 3 times before we take lol bech manadhroch ji3anin xD

• LOL I love weddings haha they're fun :P

• fun if your are the bride hhhh :p

• my shoe is never getting stolen lmao, never getting married

• i saw no dp in ur thing when i was checking my notification bar and i thought you left and was sad :(

• I don't get the point if wedding
    I didn't do it
    I'll not do it

• So you're never getting married?

• I'll of course
      But I won't do wedding
      I'm not a social person
      So the whole wedding thing won't make me comfortable
      And I won't do it just for others

• hey, i posted my pic, i am really curious, tell me

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 15

• Yup, in Malaysia we're decorated by henna
    Also there's bridesmaids who will hold the wedding gifts by the groom on a silver tray, each of them. Usually 5,7 or 9 bridesmaids with the trays 😝, sometimes with man of honor too, bring the tray of the gifts by the bride to the groom.

• They sound really cool!
    Isn't there like an American tradition with a garter or something? (not really a thing in Australia, so I have no clue lol)

• Weird and funny traditions, nice mytake :)

• American traditions are boring compared to these

• #7 I love the idea of stealing the shoe, it sounds so fun haha :P Guess it's just the playful side of me, lol.

• In some parts people throw money at the couple, and in others the best men carry the groom around the place stripping him from his shoes and then the bride has to put them back on.

• Amarya and henna are the only normal ones to me 😂 I love henna, I'm going to get a really elaborate one for my wedding.

• lel a lot of those sound funny. XD

• Oh man, stealing shoes is common in Bangladesh too :D I miss those weddings.

• pakistan is india's shit and bangladesh is pakistan's shit
      so ur from shit pooped by shit

• Waiting for my fattening room 😏

• In the US South they have the tradition of jumping over the broomstick, which symbolizes new life.

• @guyngals is this a tradition a lot of people follow in Scotland?

And good take, Sarra :)

• I had never heard of it. On the other hand, I've attended zero weddings in Scotland.

But Scottish brides with two raised middle fingers... that I can believe.

• PS: I just made the horrific mistake of googling "blacked bride." It won't help your quest any.

Only an internet designed by creeps could return that result...

• @guyngals "blacked bride" is actually a... thing... then (I couldn't resist googling it).

• #6 Also happens in Pakistani weddings, here we call it a "Palki".

• What's the point in getting married in any of these weird countries? You're better off being an old maid!

• Wouldn't want to be a part of any of these wedding traditions lmao