10 Wedding Traditions from Around the World

1- Blackening of the Bride- Scotland 10 Wedding traditions from around the World

During this pre-wedding tradition, the bride is captured, then covered in mud , molasses etc...by her family and friends then finally paraded publicly for the community to see.

2- Cupid's arrow - Yugur people of China

The husband shoots his bride with a bow and arrow (without the arrowhead) several times then collects the arrows and breaks them during the Wedding ceremony. This tradition is made to ensure that their love will last forever.

3- The whale's tooth- Fiji

In Fiji, the husband-to-be must gift a sperm whale's tooth (Tabua) to the bride's father as a gift.

4- The Fatter, the better!- Different parts of Africa

In some African societies being fat remains a symbol of status and power. The chubbier the better. Women are even force-fed by their relatives as a way of grooming before the wedding.
Some wealthy families even pay for "Fattening rooms" where brides get excessively fed for a certain period of time.
Although some African societies still view being fat as a symbol of status, power, fertility and beauty it's becoming less rampant with the increase of awareness regarding obesity related diseases.

5. Spitting - Greece and Kenya

In Greece, spitting on the bride (mostly dry spit) is regarded as a symbolic sign of luck and good wishes.

In the Maasai tribe in Kenya, it is considered a blessing for the father of the bride to spit on her head before she leaves the village with her husband.

6. Amarya- Morocco

In Morocco, the bride has an entrance worthy of a princess. She's carried by 4 men or more on a structure called Amarya.

7. "Stealing" the groom’s shoes- India

The groom’s family tries to protect the groom’s shoes, while the bride’s side of the family tries to steal them during the celebration. This is a playful occasion to bring the 2 families closer! Sounds fun!

8- Bridal Henna- Horn of Africa, South Asia, North Africa and Arabian Peninsula.

Henna is commonly used for body art during the wedding celebrations (usually on hands or/and feet) in these parts of the world

Indian Mehndi style

Tunisian Harkous style

Somali Henna style

9- Smashing dishes- Germany

Dishes are smashed during the wedding so that the sound keeps evil spirits at bay.

10-Beating the groom’s feet- South Korea

The groom's feet are beaten with fish canes after the wedding ceremony. It supposedly shows strength of character in the groom.

ElissaDido is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 23

In Romania, it is custom for the bride to be kidnapped and ransomed for beer which the groom pays for.

interesting... good take

Lol of course covering the bride in mud and molasses had to go to us -_-.

Those are interesting for sure but most of them impractical, unhealthy or unsanitary. I prefer American traditions to most these lol.

In Germany we also throw rice for the very same reason.

hey, i posted my pic, i am really curious, tell me

Other even more noteworthy ones, IMHO-

Drag King Rituals, Ancient Sparta-
    For their weddings, the brides of ancient Sparta shaved their heads, donned men's clothes and sandals, and laid alone in the dark on a pallet, waiting for their grooms to come and steal them away in the night. Once a groom had come and kidnapped her, and had his way with his new bride, he'd deposit her back at her parent's home. And that'd be that- marriage complete. She wouldn't see him again until the next night, or the night after that- Sometimes, years could go by before these married partners actually saw each other in the daytime. Historians believe that this was to help ease the Spartan groom into heterosexuality- Spartan men were so indoctrinated to engage in homosexual relations from an early age as part of their military training that the only way for brides to entice their husbands would be through shaving away their femininity and dressing like men.

Zuo Tang (Ritual Crying), Sichuan Province, China-
    Brides start crying a full month before the wedding, every night, for about an hour a night. Ten days into the ritual, the bride's mom joins the act, sobbing it up every night with her daughter. Ten days later, grandma enters the picture. And at the end of the month, every female member of the family joins in for the full hour of constant crying.

'Ala kachuu'/ 'Akomari'/'Ukuthwalwa' (Bride Kidnapping), Central Asia, East and South Africa-
    I don't really need to explain this, do I? Just look them up, and prepare to be shocked to your cores...

Courting huts, Zulus and Cambodians-
    Zulu fathers do so for strict reasons—by building the hut, he does not allow the suitor into his home, nor does he acknowledge the courtship, and it's only when he asks his daughter to get cattle from her suitor (get a formal marriage) that the father finally recognizes his existence. In Cambodia though, the fathers of the Kreung tribe are very liberal- not only do they build love huts for their daughters, they also encourage them to take in as many boys as they want (sometimes on a single night), until they find their true love. While this may sound like a setting for a bad porn movie, incidences of rape are very low, and divorce is virtually non-existent among the people. The Kreung actually value a long-lasting marriage—hence the encouragement to search through as many sexual partners as possible for the perfect match.

in tunisia they fight for sweets :p ba9lawa hhhh

hahah in what type of weddings do you go Najemeddine? XD haha actually we piss them off by refusing to eat they have to ask us 3 times before we take lol bech manadhroch ji3anin xD

LOL I love weddings haha they're fun :P

fun if your are the bride hhhh :p

Marry me?

my shoe is never getting stolen lmao, never getting married

i saw no dp in ur thing when i was checking my notification bar and i thought you left and was sad :(

Austria:
    not invited friends crashing the wedding meal in customs and talking about all the funny sins the wife and husband and their close relatives did
    Stealing the bride while the wedding meal to some other local and the husband needs to search her and pay ransom (meals and (alcoholic) drinks of the kidnappers/not invited friends)
    shooting them awake (shooting with a amateur cannon in front of their house the night before the wedding so they can't sleep and will have midnight snack to breakfeast with the changing shooters including alcohol)
    obstructing their way to/from church and requiering them to fullfill tasks, mostly everyday tasks like cooking scrambled eggs, washing clotheds, cutting wood with a hand or motor saw to prove you are able to live without support of your parents and can exercise your duties

The henna is pretty fun, but I think the breaking plates might be the best. Notice how all Korean games end up with someone getting hurt, lol

I like the body art one

I will never ever attend such a wedding, Algerian wedding "CHAOUIA" ; dancing with guns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZDc3tG2Qiw

Another very popular wedding tradition is marrying rich men (hypergamy) and then divorce them and collect alimoney, child support and custody. It's a symbol of easy leeching money for decades.
    Or to place an ultimatum to their partner that if the proposal will not happen then a break up is to follow up. It's a symbol of narrow mindedness and controlling and abusive behavior.

yeah. im so bittur and sour. grrr! X)

In Egypt, they lift the groom from where the wedding is held and take him to his house. Of course they'll be singing and dancing the whole time. An Egyptian friend told that.

1 and 5 are just so... wrong. On so many levels.

#2. is a dream come true. I'd target her ass.
    #3. LOL have to hunt a whale to marry? I'll pass :D
    #7. Yeah! We have to bribe our sister-in-laws to get our shoes back :(
    #8. Wow! We have similar culture :D
    #10. Thank god Korean girls are lightweight :P

in the old country Ireland we tie the bride and groom onto the back of a trailer and drive them around the towns and villages so they get pelted with eggs, flower and toliet roll

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_R7v5A3e8Bw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtk0FMiiyi0

Kurdish weddings... we do henna (we call it 'hine') the day before the actual wedding. Above is like a dance in the wedding lol, there's way more.

kurdish people look so indian lol, they look more indian than the indians around me

ok ur skin doesn't look that pale in the pic so i couldnt tell, but features are indian

and even if u were paler, i would assume u were kashmiri indian or middle eastern based on ur features

I don't get the point if wedding
    I didn't do it
    I'll not do it

So you're never getting married?

I'll of course
      But I won't do wedding
      I'm not a social person
      So the whole wedding thing won't make me comfortable
      And I won't do it just for others

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 15

In the US South they have the tradition of jumping over the broomstick, which symbolizes new life.

They sound really cool!
    Isn't there like an American tradition with a garter or something? (not really a thing in Australia, so I have no clue lol)

lel a lot of those sound funny. XD

Weird and funny traditions, nice mytake :)

#7 I love the idea of stealing the shoe, it sounds so fun haha :P Guess it's just the playful side of me, lol.

Oh man, stealing shoes is common in Bangladesh too :D I miss those weddings.

pakistan is india's shit and bangladesh is pakistan's shit
      so ur from shit pooped by shit

What's the point in getting married in any of these weird countries? You're better off being an old maid!

Wouldn't want to be a part of any of these wedding traditions lmao

@guyngals is this a tradition a lot of people follow in Scotland?

And good take, Sarra :)

I had never heard of it. On the other hand, I've attended zero weddings in Scotland.

But Scottish brides with two raised middle fingers... that I can believe.

PS: I just made the horrific mistake of googling "blacked bride." It won't help your quest any.

Only an internet designed by creeps could return that result...

@guyngals "blacked bride" is actually a... thing... then (I couldn't resist googling it).

#6 Also happens in Pakistani weddings, here we call it a "Palki".

In some parts people throw money at the couple, and in others the best men carry the groom around the place stripping him from his shoes and then the bride has to put them back on.

Yup, in Malaysia we're decorated by henna
    Also there's bridesmaids who will hold the wedding gifts by the groom on a silver tray, each of them. Usually 5,7 or 9 bridesmaids with the trays 😝, sometimes with man of honor too, bring the tray of the gifts by the bride to the groom.

Amarya and henna are the only normal ones to me 😂 I love henna, I'm going to get a really elaborate one for my wedding.

Waiting for my fattening room 😏

American traditions are boring compared to these