Why is it considered shallow to want to marry rich?

Most people want to marry rich whether they agree to it or not. I'm not saying they only consider income. But between two really awesome people, one who is Rich and the other not so, most people would choose the rich one. And yet, when women dare to even say that they hope to marry a guy who is rich (along with other qualities), they are labeled as gold diggers EVEN when she herself is rich. Why?

OK just to clarify. please read description carefully. I did not say that his bank account is the only thing that matters.
I said apart from all other qualities you would want. Wanting someone who is intelligent or athletic or nature loving or anything else raises no one's hackles but wanting your dream man to ALSO be rich gets you labelled as shallow. Why?

This is even stranger in cases where the woman is just as rich and perfectly willing to and capable of making her own money.

Most Helpful Guy

• Uhh... did you even have a point, or are you just making one up on the fly? Nothing in your rant was at all coherent.

Do you honestly believe that, given the choice between a rich average woman and an average income hot woman, that a guy would choose the rich woman? Hypergamy is a trait of women (most), not of men (most). A woman who marries a man to take his wealth is a gold digger; A woman who turns men down for their lack of her ideal wealth is a gold digger. The only people who complain about a woman like that should be the ones having to deal with her, not of people who should understand that she is most likely a 2 dimensional kept woman that serves as nothing but eye candy and a hole to fill. It's shallow because, in the event the money is gone, the woman is gone too.

I don't understand why people are offended by gold diggers, personally. I feel like the only time I'd actually feel a genuine hatred for one is if I was rejected, came into money, and then became the apple of her eye.

• Are you stupid, love? You are saying that the deciding factor between marriage and ditch is whether or not he has money... that's gold digging. Someone who is a smart, capable, and resourceful but has no money is now not an option despite his 'incredible' traits because he's of average wealth?

The money is the only real important part of that guy for the girl, so that's why it's shallow.

• The reason I asked this question was because I wanted to figure that out and you helped me there :p I realised its family expectations more than anything and I was trying to justify that. And that's why you get mho

• @asker

but it is marrying rich that is the problem. Women who want to marry rich are shallow because it symbolizes that you want to be taken care of at some point in time. Unless, you make as much money as him. This is a new era, women fought for equality and are winning the battle. I would never use my money to take care of a woman.

What Guys Said 14

• You can be born into money, brought into money, given money, make money, and lose money. Very few of these are solely dependent upon the individuals merits. The only thing that a person has is character. Its the only thing outside influences can't take away, its the only thing that seperates an individual from everyone else. Intellect is developed, so is physical strength and fitness. So are all skills. Money isn't developed, its a thing, independent of the person. To marry for money is to marry an object not the person.

• Because it is shallow, women are now capable of earning a living on their own. Not every guy is making 6 figures so you can get to working like everyone else too. A man who would chase a woman with money would be looked down upon big time. The only time it seems to work is if it's some kind of arrangement, the woman gets X amount of dollars and is intimate in return once or twice a week. But that's like legal prostitution and can't imagine any woman really being into that if she was looking for a serious life partner rather than just a sugar daddy. You see the difference?

• Look at it like this, if you dress nerdy with glasses and approach a guy, ask him for your number, he rejected you but minutes later you change your appearance by dressing sexy with no glasses and let your hair down, you approach the same guy, now all of a sudden he wants to give you his number. You would think he's shallow for wanting you mostly for your looks and not your personality.

That is no different than what these women are doing in this video https://www.youtube.com?v=98MkjUwVexQ

• There is people in America who marry just for the money
    i know a woman who made a comment she loved her husband
    but if there was no money coming in she wasn't going be with him
    well he threw her and her grown adult kids out of their house and
    she had to settle for a cheap apartment with limited amount income
    but i guess but he was loaded with money sad thing he died and
    she went to live in Las Vegas like a queen ,

• 0|0
    • See I already read that. And I loved the bankers response , it was perfect. But my question is different. Please read my question description and update.

• Because marrying for money is still marrying a different person and you are making money an attribute that you desire. How they get that money may not have anything to do with that person either or it may be gotten on unethical grounds. So, praising money in-and-of-itself is shallow - it doesn't have to do with the persons personality but what they have materially and how they can affect you materially. Also, lots of people do not have money so they interpret that as that you view them as beneath you. People don't like that and they respond accordingly.

• All is fair in love and war. It's an old saying and I think it's true. Love was never fair or ideal, if a woman loves a man partly because of his provisions or wealth, than that's between the two of them. Actually, women marrying for money gives uglier or physically non-ideal men a shot for companionship. Everyone has shallow criteria when it comes to dating, so rejecting someone based on their looks or body, is the same as rejecting someone for not having enough financial means.

• Because people are jealous.

• its called self preservation for the future not wanting to worry how they after marriage will make ends meet struggling to get by By far most gold diggers are women! they end up with most of the money when they divorce! money means control!

• It depends if ur social environment is rich then it's normal to ask for a rich guy and u love someone for being rich that's is shallow

• I've got some spare change in my undies. Take what you need.

• It's probably mainly poor guys complaining of this problem.

• When two rich people get married that's fine because its balances everything out

• Because most women act as if it's the holy grail. And then they try to classify it as he's mature and whatever else when really they are interested in the money.

Like one women once told me, "no such thing as an ugly rich man".

• It doesn't really matter.. Deep down we all know women likes rich men.

What Girls Said 7

• i think it's the word rich that annoys most people.

i dont want to marry someone specifically 'rich'. i wanna b with something who is financially stable and with my income, would be able to provide for a family to come. this is all i want and it isn't too much to ask.

guys either say it because they are jealous, judgmental, wallowing in self pity or lazy. there isn't a lot more to it.

• because you are not supposed to care bout money. you are supposed to like a guy for his inner qualities only and not make poorer guys feel insecure about not being rich. guys dont want to hear this

• I dont hope to marry a rich man unless they are self made. I've grown up pretty poor and i dont think i would mesh with someone who (as a generalization) would not understand normal people problems, the value of a dollar, have a strong work ethic, and be expected to have things handed to them.

• Same reason why it's considered shallow to marry someone because they have a nice car or pretty face. If you're okay with someone not looking at anything about your personality and who you are and just straight into your bank account, then I guess it doesn't matter. As long as you don't call guys shallow for wanting to marry rich women.

• if you read the description you would understand that I'm not talking about guys who are ONLY rich.
      I said apart from other qualities. The thing is it doesn't bother people if you say you want to marry someone who is smart or has a great personality. But the minute you say rich, you are a gold digger even if you are rich too and dont need his money.

• That's because 90% of people who want to marry rich, couldn't care less about the other person. Blame them for the stigma.

• Everything is "shallow" these days. Just ignore it. Nobody can do anything about you having that preference.

• Cause people say you married him or her for the money

• Some people think marrying for love is more important than marrying for money.

• And it is more important, you can't live a positive life if you have such a negative mind. Women who only go for rich, think they're above guys who are not rich.