Is it acceptable for the girl to propose?

I know a lot of people would say a year and a bit is too soon...
but talking to his mother last night she was pushing for us to get engaged and got us talking. Made me realise I'm ok with it as I want us to be the real deal. No one else has made me this happy. And he says as long as it's a long engagement then he is too. Just can't see him plucking up the courage to do it as he doesn't like change...

• yes
  • no
16d For the ones asking. Not planning anytime soon as got enough going on. Maybe after next Christmas. Just wanted general consensus on it

What Guys Said 49

• 3|4
  • Yep.

My mother proposed to my father, and come January they'll have celebrated their 40th anniversary.

She says if she'd waited for him to propose, she'd still be waiting :D

• Sure. Equality and such, ya know? Speaking of which, what is it now, 3 month's salary on a ring? When women are dropping that on engagements boats, rifles and full garage tool sets, I'll be sold.

That is, of course, as long as since we're making me contractually liable to pay her alimony even if she cheats, we go ahead and make her contractually liable not to get fat, chop off all her hair and start treating sex like a once monthly reward for desired behavior.

Unless feminism lied, and we're not actually equal...

P. S. Shout out to all my haters who keep getting me warnings sent from G@G admins. Can't believe I haven't been banned and had to spend 20 or so seconds creating a new email for a new account. Love you! Your being triggered makes it worth it!

• I wish I could just find a woman that asked me out. I would love for a woman to come after me like I am expected to go after them. So yes, I would love for a woman to propose. It shows she really is serious about the relationship, and not just settling.

• Yes it is , you go girl.
    Break that gender stereotype of a man proposing to his girlfriend.

• Yep... It's ok to do.
    There is also a tradition of sorts for doing it, too, but I don't think you will want to wait that long.

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...ition_n_1305525.html

• sure it is.

• Maybe for other guy's but not for me that's my duty to propose to her.

Call me old fashioned but I believe the man should propose to the woman not the other way around.

• Sure it is. If you feel that you two are ready then go for it.

• Ask me and find out 😉👍

• On the one hand, I'd really prefer to to propose when that time comes.

On the other hand, I'd be completely flattered if she beat me to the punch.

• yeah why not

• I would say yes, it is okay for the female to propose.
    It happened to me once. I said no, for a variety of reasons.

• it's okay, but in more conservative-rooted countries like the UK and US, it's not as commonplace, but that is changing, so go for it! it really depends on how traditionalist you are as a couple.

• Nope. The man proposes because marriage is a greater sacrifice for him--as typically the higher earner and the tougher, he's promising to protect and provide. Hence, he proposes because such things must be freely offered, not asked for.

• Absolutely. I'd be impressed you asked and would have no issue with it.

• Forget the whole proposal thing you see on TV. Just sit down and talk to him. If you guys are on the same page about things the whole proposal thing will be more of a mutual decision than this thing one does to another.

• 0|1
  • I'd be honored! 😊
    (Even if I sadly had to turn her down for some reason, I'd still feel honored. 🙁)

• 21st century. BUT... do the guys wear the diamond ring?

• Yes, but a ring is not needed. As a matter of fact I think you should propose and if he/she says yes then you both go to pick out a ring together.

• yes but I prefer to do it

• In theory I have no problem with that but I don't believe in marriage so if someone proposed to me I'd probably be freaked out and react poorly.

• Of course it is. If you want it, go get it.

• i think it´s as ok as it is for a guy to do it. given that you´re both ready to do this step...

• yeass it is

• If women want to get married so badly, they should be the ones proposing in the first place.

• of course you can go after what you like or love

• I got no problem with it , if a guy is ok with his girl proposing to him then so be it.

• Lol but I'd probably say no

• More from Guys
    19

What Girls Said 22

• Meh, sure, it's fine. I'd be cool with proposing.

• Yes, absolutely. If a woman wants to propose, she should. It's generally expected that the man will do it but I think if a woman wants to, then she should go for it. Some men may not like it but I think most wouldn't mind.

• The way I see it is that if he wasn't okay with me proposing, then he wouldn't be worth proposing to.

• of course.

• I personally wouldn't because I'm old fashioned but go for it! It's you're relationship and it isn't wrong!

• Yes, but I think it's cuter and more romantic when the man does it. I wouldn't do the proposing ever.

• Yes why not. It's totally fine!
    But I personally wouldn't do it.

• 16d

who gives thumbs down, seriously... just because you wouldn't do it and a guy who is probably too afraid to propose. lol, just saying, I got thumbs down too for similar opinion.

• 16d

@nolookingbackx no idea. Sorry if people are doing it. Everyone's entitled to an opinion so thanks for both stating yours :)

• Perfectly ok. But I'd wait a bit yet.

• I wouldn't say it is unacceptable but I want a man to propose.

• Of course. I think I might do it :P

• It's perfectly fine. I remember being on this site when I was much younger, maybe 16 I don't know, and almost everyone said no, except myself and a few others. I'm happy to see people are changing the way they think.

• They do it in Ireland every leap year.

• Sure, but I've always pictured myself being proposed to, not the otherway round.

• I think it's ok but maybe wait it out another year. Men often take longer to decide on these kinds of things than women do... not saying you aren't right for each other. Just suggesting giving him a bit more time.. because that's a lot of pressure.

• As long as it's a long engagement? I'd see that as a red flag

• 16d

Why? I do agree with him to be fair. As we both agreed I'd want to sort living together and the families meeting first and it is a lot of money which can be used elsewhere

• 16d

If a guy said that to me as a condition, I'd immediately think he wasn't that into the idea of marriage

• 16d

Well he said when we got together he doesn't see the point in it. And neither did I. Only recently discussed it as his families pushing for it

• no i think the guy should always propose to the girl

• In my opinion, no

• It's okay but I would prefer for the man to propose.

• I think it's okay -- but I'm traditional, I'd prefer if the guy would propose to me.

• 16d

I'm modern and I sometimes prefer women to propose me.

• only desperate ugly hopeless women ask a man for date or propose him. Dislike me ladies if that makes you calm down but I still think what I think

• Usually when your both on the same page the GUY will end up asking. Growing up around all brothers (four of them) I know for a fact they would feel like for lack of better words a big "sissy" if the girl asked before the man did, as the man should.

Try having a guy tell his buddies about how he asked her the question... oh wait he didn't... lol.

• It's 2016. It's a sad state of affairs when we still have to ask such questions.

Of course it is!