The #DontJudgeChallenge & Why It's An Excuse To Pick At People's Insecurities

So recently a new trend has been appearing all over social media most notably Vine & Instagram and it's where users, typically in their pre-teens and teens, make themselves appear ugly with features such as bad acne, unibrows, crooked teeth, and etc. Afterwards the participants would blacken out the camera and show their true form without the makeup revealing their natural beauty, or so they say. Now the message of this challenge is to "Not judge a book by its cover" because under all that makeup lies a beautiful interior but what is this challenge really saying about society as a whole?

The problem with this challenge is it's pointing out what our society deems ugly and what our society deems pretty because every single one of the challenges you see a unibrow, bad acne, bad teeth, bad skin, etc which is all things that our society has labeled as "hideous" or "disgusting". In actuality this challenge is just a way for people that are clearly beautiful and meet up to societies standards of good hair, good teeth, flawless skin, and etc to make fun of what society deems ugly and then reveal to us what they have that society deems beautiful.

Let's be real, these traits are deemed unattractive by a large amount of people that's just reality, but the point is that it's completely immoral to point out to these people who have the misfortune of having bad acne or bad skin that these physical characteristics are what society finds ugly. The people participating in these challenges are the same people that are wondering why suicide rates among the young are so high, because they're constantly fucking reminded by their own peers that what they've been born as is unappealing.

So in conclusion this challenge is nothing more then a way for people that clearly know their beautiful and are told daily by our society that they're beautiful to make fun of people that are constantly rediculed and put down because of how they were born, it's disgusting and I hope this trend ends soon.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 9

• This is how the challenge SHOULD be done.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjG7QoGM7s

• I love this take. Good job! :D

• All these idiots drawing on a unibrow, faking acne and freckles, faking having bad teeth etc... and we're supposed to be shocked/surprised/impressed when they remove all that "fake ugliness" and then apply a fuckton of makeup in order to be beautiful? This challenge is so backwards. Nothing is impressive about making yourself look uglier than you are and then making yourself look prettier than you are. How about you START with a face full of makeup, and END it by removing all of it and showing your natural self. Nothing is empowering about making fun of people with unibrows, acne, bad teeth, circles under their eyes etc. In both instances they're hiding themselves under a lot of makeup, which literally does nothing but prove that they're too insecure to show their real selves and to actually be potentially judged. This challenge is so hypocritical and stupid, I wish people would stop.

• I completely agree with this take (:

• I think it depends upon your outlook. I know someone put a picture up of a pretty girl and then the next showed her wiping off make up which revealed her eczema. THAT was meant to show that because people are so inane as to be so specific and cruel to people who don't have flawless skin, people cover up.

They shouldn't have to. They should embrace themselves. This is how it came off to me.

Another interpretation could simply be that people can be "tricked" into thinking that there's nothing physically wrong with a person's skin.

But I'm an optimist.

• Awesome take! This challenge is so self-absorbed and it doesn't make any f-ing sense to me.

Kids these days need REAL hobbies. Go play in the river or something.

• thank you for sharing your opinion sadly i am forced to walk the earth with these kind of people until i am older, when one of my friends showed me a video of this challenge i mean it made me psychically nauseous. Every time something like this happens on social media I lose a little more faith for humanity. But that's the thing people like us who see faults in society need to have a voice we shouldn't have to conform to everyday things. Most people hear this kind of stuff and if hey do realize its wrong they say " that's just how it is". It doesn't need to be like that we can change the people if we speak up.

• You're right - this is fucking horrible. ;_; It's just another self-masturbatory show of narcissism - how can they not see that? And these kids are going to be my kids' bosses one day! Gotta buy some lotto tickets, thanks for the reminder.

• I agree with you completely, it is an excuse to pick at others insecurities and to tell them they will never be good enough. It is just another way of telling them that they are ugly. Girls writing "Ugly" on their forehead because they don't want to ruin their faces. That doesn't make any fucking sense to me.

Then to apply makeup incorrectly, take it off, and then reapply it to make themselves look better. It is called the don't judge challenge, am I supposed to not judge you on the fact you should look beautiful without makeup?

What Guys Said 3

• It's stupid is what it is.

• This sounds interesting. Too bad I don't use instagram or I would be looking at these pictures.

• I didn't about it since I don't give a shit about what kids do these days on social media, but your MyTake was coherent. Good point you made.