The struggles of a short person

The struggles of a short person

I have always been a tiny person. Though everytime I see the doctor they keep bouncing between 5'0"(152cm)-5'1"(154cm). Didn't really reach those heights till the end of high school. Though the 5'1"(154cm) I reached that earlier this year which seems like a miracle. :D

Anyways like other short people it has it's ups and downs. The ups is good since you remain cute forever almost, lol. Still there are somethings that you do struggle with. So here is my list of things I face and other short people probably face.

Going pants shopping

No matter what store you seem to go in that is around where you live. No matter how perfect they feel and fit. They always end up being to long. So it feels like your hunting for the holy grail when finding pants that aren't too long on you.

Going shopping with things on shelves

This normally isn't a problem since majority of the time the stuff I ever need are normally in arms reach. Though sometimes in grocery stores some food items are out of your reach. Then you feel to silly to ask someone for help because your to short to reach it yourself. So some of you probably do what I do. You make sure you won't break the shelf and then just climb to get it. While making sure not to break anything. Though sadly this technic won't work in shoe stores. Their shelves are not fixed to make climbing them possible at all. So besides asking for help what do you do? What I normally do when I'm feeling to embarressed to ask for help. I borrow the longer shoes on display and use them to knock the shoe box down. Which majority of the time it seems like they always put my shoe size and the ones that I love at the highest shelf possible. -_-

Your feet won't touch the ground when sitting.

This part is actually what made me think about writting this myTake. I'm having that issue right now. I can't seem to find any chair where my feet can actually touch the ground. Even though these chairs look really low to the ground. My feet still can't fully reach it. :( I know there are other people like me with the same issue. Which this also an issue when going to a restaurant. When sitting at the table your feet just can't seem to touch the ground. So if your like me and also look younger than your actual age. Your going to look 15 and under almost. Which once I had ordered an alcoholic drink and showed the waitress my ID. (This happened in January of this year.) This other waitress saw her handing the drink to me and started flipping out. Thinking the other one gave a drink to a minor. The waitress I showed my ID to her told her no I wasn't that I had proved it. Then the one freaking out came over to me and told me about it. I laughed.

Walking in a crowded place

When your short and in a crowded place. It's hard not to be stepped on or pushed around like crazy depending on the crowd. Still if your trying to find anyone that you had lost in that. Your going to have so much trouble since you will have a hard time seeing them over everyone else. Same for the people trying to find you as well. They will have a hard time spotting you since your so much shorter than everyone else.

Being mistaken for a younger age

A lot of people have told me that in pictures I don't look like i'm 15/16 years old. Yet in person they do or even younger. Well I've started to wonder if it's because they think only younger people could truly be that short. Though I guess how your face looks does help some. On the night of my high school graduation. Me and my family went to red lobster. The lady who showed us to our tables asked if we needed 2 kids menu's. Thinking I was still young enough for that kind of thing. It made me so sad since I had just graduated high school I was over 18 at that time. I was not 12 years old or anything. I had my graduation gown and cap to prove it.lol

Trying to reach for things in the washing machine

This happens to me everytime I take anything out of the washing machine to put into the dryer. I have to stand on my tip toes trying to reach for the last bit of cloths. Sometimes I will get the foot stool because I just can not get to it no matter how hard I try. I know there are people out there that deal with this as well.

Wearing heels doesn't work

Sure it gives you a little more height but sadly it's still not enough when everyone else is still really tall. That you still struggle to reach somethings even with the extra height.

What you kind of look like walking around

Us short people as you know have shorter legs. So we have to take more steps than taller people. Which if we start walking really fast you kind of feel silly compared to everyone else. For me I feel like how it looks to see a cat walking really fast. Seeing those short legs moving. lol.

Driving a car

Anyone around my height you know what I mean about this. Having issues reaching for the pedals and have to keep a adjusting the seat. Then trying to get in really tall vehicles you almost feel like you have to jump to get in. Then trying to see over the steering wheel as well at times. Some cars it's easy and others not so much. :(

That is all of the things I can think of. Still it's not all that bad. A lot of these struggles turn into funny stories to tell someone your getting to know. That or have more to talk about with your bf/gf. Plus they might pick on you for being short but that's ok as long as they are being playful. Still Being short does have advanges that I love. I have never hated being short. Well there was this one time I hated it. It was when I was a little kid going to disney world with my family. We went to see these dolphins at one of the resorts. They let everyone try to pet them. Sadly I wasn't tall enough to even be able to do that. :'( Still other than that I do like being short. ^^

I hope y'all enjoyed the myTake and list anything else that you struggle with doing because your short. Even if your not short you can also list what struggles you face as being tall. : )

Mustachekitteh is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 44

• Hahahaha these pics are funny, especially the washing machine diving.
    Short girls are adorable tho, don't forget that ladies!!

• I'm sorry for all the struggles you short people have to go through, I'm left handed, I know the struggles xD But I think it's super cute when I see a short girl struggling with that kind of things... sorry :P
    xD

• Im 5'2 and one thing that really bothers me about being short is people constantly telling me im short. or calling me shorty all the time. I KNOW IM SHORT. You dont have to fucking remind me. I have people just randomly say to me "youre short" like no shit.

• I love women who are only D high!

They are sooooooooooooo adorkable <3

• WOH! hey! i think that first pic is my ex girlfriend! where did you get this pic?

• Where I get all my pictures google images. :D

• :D hopefully now you know how to cook them right :P

• that wasn't the problem :P we forgot to set a timer so it just turned to charcoal :P

• I absolutely love short girls. I don't consider myself a shallow person but she's got to be short.

• You know that while men might looks at those long legs, what they really really like are those adorable short girls?

• 5|0
  • Look at the bright side - think about people who are 6-9 taking a long international flight, or touring a European castle with low doorways, or trying to sleep in a Tokyo hotel bed.

• B-but I love short girls.. they're adorable :3

• Yeah but I feel obligated to help the girls who are short. For instance the girl in the photo who is to short to see the singer at the concert, I might ask if she wanted to sit on my shoulders.

• This describes me :) I'm 5'4" Except for the car part. I can get clothes out of the washer and dryer ok.

• The kitten walking is cute.

And yes, I agree with all of these. Luckily I don't have to deal with the car one @ 5'4"

• But on the plus side: short girls are pretty much *automatically* cute 😜

@crystalt70 😊

• Well, we (tall people) have significantly shorter lives, can't fit into small places, and no matter how much weight we have look normal or overweight to others, can't look people eye to eye, everyone thinks we're condescending if we look down or are jerks if we don't look at someone, shower heads are always too low, our joints break down faster than others - even without additional help, hugging can be challenging, bathrooms/fitting rooms are awkward as hell as your head peaks over, *nothing* will fit you properly - ever. Don't even try. It's correct length, correct arm length, or correct width. Pick. One. - Door frames, and even ceilings can often be too low, nothing is your size, you can't rest your arms on anything properly, can't fit on the bed (feet dangle over) headrests in cars are neck-rests at the tallest height if you can even fit in the car (Theaters? lol), you have to bend over to do anything, did I mention we die early?, everyone's jealous over it because?, shoes never fit right, and I just want to take a bath and fit. ;_;

Now if you excuse me, I have to move all my furniture around because I dropped something under one of the pieces - and it's too low to the ground for my arm to fit and the broom isn't helping.

• My girlfriends is 4ft8 lol she has all the same problems you do. The id thing is a real problem, once we stayed a romantic night in a hotel only to have it ruined by one of the guest calling the cops, long story short they thought she was a minor because she looks really young and has to shop in kids stores, she had forgotten her ID and they wouldn't believe her age. So basically I had to spend a night in a cell and she had to spend it with a social worker until her parents brought her ID and birth certificate in the morning to clear things up.

• That's where you get a taller man to supplement your shortcomings... haha.
    My wife is 4'10" and she's 30 years old. Works at a high school and is mistaken as a student all the time during parent-teacher meetings and by substitute teachers.

• Short women are cute and I love them. Don't be ashamed about it because I prefer short women to the tall ones.

• I'm 6"6 lol don't havw this issue. But trust me when I say being tall isn't that great

• They got little hands
    Little eyes
    They walk around
    Tellin' great big lies
    They got little noses
    And tiny little teeth
    They wear platform shoes
    On their nasty little feet
    Well, I don't want no Short People
    Don't want no Short People
    Don't want no Short People
    `Round here

• I just saw that funny song earlier :D

• I love short people, by the way. I once dated a girl who was so short that when we slow-danced, her face basically hugged my belt buckle. It looked porno. LOL!

But... goddam... she had this AWESOME brunette hair and these BIG expressive eyes and always was smiling. A cool girl.

• More from Guys
    24

What Girls Said 34

• I am a 5'2 smurf :( and I hate it, that's why I always wear high heels.

• lol I'm 5 foot 3.5 and being this short is a huge pain. I am about 1.5 inches below average. I always get mistaken for a 12 year old if I don't wear make up

• Haha I relate. xD

• LOL my life.

with the pants thing, i dont have a single pair where the ankles aren't rolled up or they've been altered which costs extra.

the washing machine and driving problems are LEGIT PROBLEMS lol. we have a stool in the laundry just to help me reach, and there r 2 cushions in the boot of the car that r there every time i need to drive. i have to move the chair forward SO MUCH so that my feet can reach the brakes.

• I was seven and they wouldn't let me on the stupid roller coaster! Just because every other seven year old was half a foot taller than me.

I'm 5"2' and my five year old sister comes up to my ribs, my eleven year old brother almost matches me in height. I'm eighteen in a few weeks! I should be taller than this.

I have kids thinking I'm their age and my mum thinks I look really young yet I've got people in stores asking if I'm twenty one so they can try to sell me their product.

(I still don't look old enough to be in that lingerie store though)

What else?

Everybody panics if I make something fall from the top shelf. They just aren't aware I've been doing that my whole life and it's a method of making up for height. It's good catch practise too.

• good take man!
    i know the feel :/

• I'm not short but tiny people are so cute. Makes me wanna write one about tall people.

• You should make one. xD

• The luxury genes are so real. ;o;

• Ok, I will then.

• I just scrolled through your mytakes and found this one. Why did no one comment? This was entertaining and applies to my whole life.

• Story of my life.

Except people don't respect children. And can you imagine being told your whole life that adults respect adults and then you reach adulthood and then be treated like a child? It's humiliating when you hear how people actually talk to those they think are younger.

• Lool! The pics were funny.
    The last one worries me that's why.😂😂

• Haha this is so true! One of my teachers has to sit on textbooks to drive to school!
    You missed the parts where people pat your head and try and use you as an armrest but it's okay because you're just cute by default!

• I know exactly how you feel, I'm just barely 5'1".

• No short men being highlighted. I think short men face more troubles.

• Sadly most of their troubles end up being made fun of for it. :( Some were probably bullied over how short they are. Though i couldn't write about that since I've never experienced that.

• I'm actually 5'1 as well. A lot of guys find it cute and attractive.

• I can relate to all except for the washing machine and the "feet can't reach the floor" thing. I think I can reach the floor on most chairs. It is strange since I am 155 cm (5' too).

But one thing I am sure of is that I think I can thank my talent of climbing to my short height. 😂

That kitten walk too lol.. I sometimes I feel I am the only one who walks really fast when I am in a group. For car driving, I usually push my chair as close to the steering wheel as possible lol.

• I'm 6'1" and I have all the opposite problems, lol! Pants are always too short, and when I find some that are long enough most of those are too big around the waist. Apparently being tall also means you're overweight 😒 Same with shirts.

Have to look really hard to find shoes that fit, unless you go over to the men's section.

Heels make you way too tall.

Guys don't see you as adorable/cute/feminine as shorter girls.

Cars aren't quite big enough. No leg room on any seats, actually. Airplanes are the worst lol.

The bed isn't long enough.

I guess between your height and mine, there is an absolutely perfect height 😂

• Ha, I'm 5'6. My height has never been a struggle.

• Awesome take! I'm 5'4 and had to jump on the washing machine before

• This is freaking awesome. I'm 5'2 (though I hate it), still have to live with it. My friends tease me all the darn time lol ugh. Thank you for this great funny mytake :)

• Bahhahha lovin these pictures :D

• More from Girls
    14