The struggles of a short person

The struggles of a short person

I have always been a tiny person. Though everytime I see the doctor they keep bouncing between 5'0"(152cm)-5'1"(154cm). Didn't really reach those heights till the end of high school. Though the 5'1"(154cm) I reached that earlier this year which seems like a miracle. :D

Anyways like other short people it has it's ups and downs. The ups is good since you remain cute forever almost, lol. Still there are somethings that you do struggle with. So here is my list of things I face and other short people probably face.

Going pants shopping

No matter what store you seem to go in that is around where you live. No matter how perfect they feel and fit. They always end up being to long. So it feels like your hunting for the holy grail when finding pants that aren't too long on you.

Going shopping with things on shelves

This normally isn't a problem since majority of the time the stuff I ever need are normally in arms reach. Though sometimes in grocery stores some food items are out of your reach. Then you feel to silly to ask someone for help because your to short to reach it yourself. So some of you probably do what I do. You make sure you won't break the shelf and then just climb to get it. While making sure not to break anything. Though sadly this technic won't work in shoe stores. Their shelves are not fixed to make climbing them possible at all. So besides asking for help what do you do? What I normally do when I'm feeling to embarressed to ask for help. I borrow the longer shoes on display and use them to knock the shoe box down. Which majority of the time it seems like they always put my shoe size and the ones that I love at the highest shelf possible. -_-

Your feet won't touch the ground when sitting.

This part is actually what made me think about writting this myTake. I'm having that issue right now. I can't seem to find any chair where my feet can actually touch the ground. Even though these chairs look really low to the ground. My feet still can't fully reach it. :( I know there are other people like me with the same issue. Which this also an issue when going to a restaurant. When sitting at the table your feet just can't seem to touch the ground. So if your like me and also look younger than your actual age. Your going to look 15 and under almost. Which once I had ordered an alcoholic drink and showed the waitress my ID. (This happened in January of this year.) This other waitress saw her handing the drink to me and started flipping out. Thinking the other one gave a drink to a minor. The waitress I showed my ID to her told her no I wasn't that I had proved it. Then the one freaking out came over to me and told me about it. I laughed.

Walking in a crowded place

When your short and in a crowded place. It's hard not to be stepped on or pushed around like crazy depending on the crowd. Still if your trying to find anyone that you had lost in that. Your going to have so much trouble since you will have a hard time seeing them over everyone else. Same for the people trying to find you as well. They will have a hard time spotting you since your so much shorter than everyone else.

Being mistaken for a younger age

A lot of people have told me that in pictures I don't look like i'm 15/16 years old. Yet in person they do or even younger. Well I've started to wonder if it's because they think only younger people could truly be that short. Though I guess how your face looks does help some. On the night of my high school graduation. Me and my family went to red lobster. The lady who showed us to our tables asked if we needed 2 kids menu's. Thinking I was still young enough for that kind of thing. It made me so sad since I had just graduated high school I was over 18 at that time. I was not 12 years old or anything. I had my graduation gown and cap to prove it.lol

Trying to reach for things in the washing machine

This happens to me everytime I take anything out of the washing machine to put into the dryer. I have to stand on my tip toes trying to reach for the last bit of cloths. Sometimes I will get the foot stool because I just can not get to it no matter how hard I try. I know there are people out there that deal with this as well.

Wearing heels doesn't work

Sure it gives you a little more height but sadly it's still not enough when everyone else is still really tall. That you still struggle to reach somethings even with the extra height.

What you kind of look like walking around

Us short people as you know have shorter legs. So we have to take more steps than taller people. Which if we start walking really fast you kind of feel silly compared to everyone else. For me I feel like how it looks to see a cat walking really fast. Seeing those short legs moving. lol.

Driving a car

Anyone around my height you know what I mean about this. Having issues reaching for the pedals and have to keep a adjusting the seat. Then trying to get in really tall vehicles you almost feel like you have to jump to get in. Then trying to see over the steering wheel as well at times. Some cars it's easy and others not so much. :(

That is all of the things I can think of. Still it's not all that bad. A lot of these struggles turn into funny stories to tell someone your getting to know. That or have more to talk about with your bf/gf. Plus they might pick on you for being short but that's ok as long as they are being playful. Still Being short does have advanges that I love. I have never hated being short. Well there was this one time I hated it. It was when I was a little kid going to disney world with my family. We went to see these dolphins at one of the resorts. They let everyone try to pet them. Sadly I wasn't tall enough to even be able to do that. :'( Still other than that I do like being short. ^^

I hope y'all enjoyed the myTake and list anything else that you struggle with doing because your short. Even if your not short you can also list what struggles you face as being tall. : )

3444
Mustachekitteh is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hahahaha these pics are funny, especially the washing machine diving.
    Short girls are adorable tho, don't forget that ladies!!

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm 6'1" and I have all the opposite problems, lol! Pants are always too short, and when I find some that are long enough most of those are too big around the waist. Apparently being tall also means you're overweight πŸ˜’ Same with shirts.

Have to look really hard to find shoes that fit, unless you go over to the men's section.

Heels make you way too tall.

Guys don't see you as adorable/cute/feminine as shorter girls.

Cars aren't quite big enough. No leg room on any seats, actually. Airplanes are the worst lol.

The bed isn't long enough.

I guess between your height and mine, there is an absolutely perfect height πŸ˜‚

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 43

• Im 5'2 and one thing that really bothers me about being short is people constantly telling me im short. or calling me shorty all the time. I KNOW IM SHORT. You dont have to fucking remind me. I have people just randomly say to me "youre short" like no shit.

• I'm just under 6'4" so I guess that is kind of tall. The problem is I'm also kind of skinny. The only one I really relate to on this is going pants shopping. For some reason, stores expect tall people to be large too :/ I usually either have to just accept pants large around the waist (and wear a belt) or I have to search pretty hard through all the selections.
    On the flipside, sitting down with legs touching the ground isn't all it is cracked up to be. It makes it difficult to stretch when you are tall. Like your legs have nowhere to go haha. Buses are the worst. On yellow buses, my knees hit the seat in front of me if I sit straight. It makes things very cramped.

As for everything else though, you got me there! I don't know know those feels. That must stink a bit to be short. I have been asked to reach stuff for people in grocery stores however! xD

• My wife (at around 5'2", sometimes 5'1" depending on the doctor's office) would have gotten a kick out of this.

I think that's 1/2 the reason she married me. She was constantly asking me to reach for things. Once at her parents' house, she remarked to one of her sisters, "Who needs a step ladder? I've got [Bluemax]."

As for walking, I confess I miss how I had to purposely slow my stride to match her kitty cat steps. (sigh)

• 5|0
  • I'm not going to lie. I think I wouldn't be able to resist the urge if I had a girlfriend hanging out of the washing machine like that to playfully smack her on the ass.

Then again she might fall in if I do that...

• That's where you get a taller man to supplement your shortcomings... haha.
    My wife is 4'10" and she's 30 years old. Works at a high school and is mistaken as a student all the time during parent-teacher meetings and by substitute teachers.

• Good mytake!

6'2 here, but 192Ibs :/ . STILL fall into the tall-skinny category. Being tall isn't always advantageous. You get hunchbacks easily. Your legs get in the way; Don't even get me started on the agony of sitting in public buses, you are forced to fold your legs and lean them against the backside of the seat that is in front of you since the spacing of every seat row is so limited. Every trip was a goddam torture.

Being short isn't all that bad ;). In fact, I find short girls to be extremely adorable. I still remember one of my close friends tried to pair a oversized aqua hoody and a short miniskirt. The outcome of it was just HNNNNGGGG >/////<' and lovable xD. Her oversized hoody completely overlapped her miniskirt, its like she wasn't wearing any skirt or shorts.

• Well, we (tall people) have significantly shorter lives, can't fit into small places, and no matter how much weight we have look normal or overweight to others, can't look people eye to eye, everyone thinks we're condescending if we look down or are jerks if we don't look at someone, shower heads are always too low, our joints break down faster than others - even without additional help, hugging can be challenging, bathrooms/fitting rooms are awkward as hell as your head peaks over, *nothing* will fit you properly - ever. Don't even try. It's correct length, correct arm length, or correct width. Pick. One. - Door frames, and even ceilings can often be too low, nothing is your size, you can't rest your arms on anything properly, can't fit on the bed (feet dangle over) headrests in cars are neck-rests at the tallest height if you can even fit in the car (Theaters? lol), you have to bend over to do anything, did I mention we die early?, everyone's jealous over it because?, shoes never fit right, and I just want to take a bath and fit. ;_;

Now if you excuse me, I have to move all my furniture around because I dropped something under one of the pieces - and it's too low to the ground for my arm to fit and the broom isn't helping.

• Very interesting take, I'm not too short (5'10), but I support all short people in their struggle ;)

• I'm sorry for all the struggles you short people have to go through, I'm left handed, I know the struggles xD But I think it's super cute when I see a short girl struggling with that kind of things... sorry :P
    xD

• sucks to be you.
    I am 6' 3". never had an issue.
    I have 3 sons. 6' and still growing, 6' 4 and 6' 3" (young to old)
    my ex wife was 5' 10" so that seemed short until I dated someone 5' 1" yikes.
    I hate when people ask me to grab them things off the top shelves. but as long as it doesn't happen often it is fine.

• >o > Oi, there's nothing wrong with us 5'1" girls. Q^Q

• I don't blame you since they would need a step ladder to kiss you if your standing up plus some sex positions would be hard to pull off. Mainly if she's on top.

• i had to kinda bend in half to hug her. If I was on top the top of her head only came to my neck lol.
      her on top would always work fine so I don't understand that comment. But I hate that position and if I do it, it is really just for her and to make her happy.

• They got little hands
    Little eyes
    They walk around
    Tellin' great big lies
    They got little noses
    And tiny little teeth
    They wear platform shoes
    On their nasty little feet
    Well, I don't want no Short People
    Don't want no Short People
    Don't want no Short People
    `Round here

• I just saw that funny song earlier :D

• I love short people, by the way. I once dated a girl who was so short that when we slow-danced, her face basically hugged my belt buckle. It looked porno. LOL!

But... goddam... she had this AWESOME brunette hair and these BIG expressive eyes and always was smiling. A cool girl.

• But on the plus side: short girls are pretty much *automatically* cute 😜

@crystalt70 😊

• I absolutely love short girls. I don't consider myself a shallow person but she's got to be short.

• Look at the bright side - think about people who are 6-9 taking a long international flight, or touring a European castle with low doorways, or trying to sleep in a Tokyo hotel bed.

• This describes me :) I'm 5'4" Except for the car part. I can get clothes out of the washer and dryer ok.

• I remembered some things that I faced when I was a kid and shorter, I hated not reaching things.

• The kitten walking is cute.

And yes, I agree with all of these. Luckily I don't have to deal with the car one @ 5'4"

• being kinda tall, I have the same issue with pants, Seems like they are never the right size. I think my body is close to the manikin too.

• This song, written by the great songwriter Randy Newman, is meant to be funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUlIv3Ca8AI

• More from Guys
    23

What Girls Said 33

• LOL my life.

with the pants thing, i dont have a single pair where the ankles aren't rolled up or they've been altered which costs extra.

the washing machine and driving problems are LEGIT PROBLEMS lol. we have a stool in the laundry just to help me reach, and there r 2 cushions in the boot of the car that r there every time i need to drive. i have to move the chair forward SO MUCH so that my feet can reach the brakes.

• I was seven and they wouldn't let me on the stupid roller coaster! Just because every other seven year old was half a foot taller than me.

I'm 5"2' and my five year old sister comes up to my ribs, my eleven year old brother almost matches me in height. I'm eighteen in a few weeks! I should be taller than this.

I have kids thinking I'm their age and my mum thinks I look really young yet I've got people in stores asking if I'm twenty one so they can try to sell me their product.

(I still don't look old enough to be in that lingerie store though)

What else?

Everybody panics if I make something fall from the top shelf. They just aren't aware I've been doing that my whole life and it's a method of making up for height. It's good catch practise too.

• This is my life. I'm 5'0 as well, and it's all so very true. xD That gif of the kitten is adorable and pulls off walking like that better than we do. :P

Excellent myTake!

• I just scrolled through your mytakes and found this one. Why did no one comment? This was entertaining and applies to my whole life.

• I'm 5'1" and this hits me where it hurts because it's so true. You forgot to mention younger siblings growing taller than you (My brother is now 5'7"-5'8" and I'm just like "Fuck you bro"), being used as an arm rest, and being picked up out of the blue. xD

• I also have problems when shopping for pants.
    i.huffpost.com/.../o-PETITE-570.jpg?1

To be fair I've seen 6ft men with shorter legs. 😒

• I can relate to all except for the washing machine and the "feet can't reach the floor" thing. I think I can reach the floor on most chairs. It is strange since I am 155 cm (5' too).

But one thing I am sure of is that I think I can thank my talent of climbing to my short height. πŸ˜‚

That kitten walk too lol.. I sometimes I feel I am the only one who walks really fast when I am in a group. For car driving, I usually push my chair as close to the steering wheel as possible lol.

• Haha I relate. xD

• Thankfully I've never had that issue with pants and I'm 5'2" lol. But I relate to the rest! In my car you can move the pedals forward so I move them as close as possible and then scoot the seat up so far that when guys drive my car they can't fit in lmao

• I am a 5'2 smurf :( and I hate it, that's why I always wear high heels.

• The struggle is real! I'm 5'2" and I face like all of the problems, haha.

• lol I'm 5 foot 3.5 and being this short is a huge pain. I am about 1.5 inches below average. I always get mistaken for a 12 year old if I don't wear make up

• Story of my life.

Except people don't respect children. And can you imagine being told your whole life that adults respect adults and then you reach adulthood and then be treated like a child? It's humiliating when you hear how people actually talk to those they think are younger.

• Haha I loved the images in this take & the walking part! As I'm really tall (taller than most girls) I notice that a lot when I'm with a shorter friend and we're hurrying to get somewhere. It's like I'm just kinda walking quickly while they're running next to me πŸ˜… I think a good thing about being short is that most people will perceive you as cute and adorable though! ;)

• Omagawd you just summed up my lifeπŸ˜„

• good take man!
    i know the feel :/

• This is freaking awesome. I'm 5'2 (though I hate it), still have to live with it. My friends tease me all the darn time lol ugh. Thank you for this great funny mytake :)

• Haha I feel this.

"Short" pants still being too long and being mistaken for a 14 year old is like.. My life 😞

• The only pants that are perfect length wise. Is these sweat pants that are a large for boys. Not men but boys cloths. :(

• I'm not short but tiny people are so cute. Makes me wanna write one about tall people.

• You should make one. xD

• The luxury genes are so real. ;o;

• Ok, I will then.

• I'm 5'0
    Mom - 4'11
    Aunts - 4'10
    Granny - 4'9

I'm the tallest

• You realise that with age you are actually shrinking and will probably the same height as your granny when you reach her age?

• I don't care I like being short @FakeName123 and plus her mother (my great grandmother) is 4'10 I don't think I'll be as short as her.

• No worries. Short girls are lots of fun. I was simply teasing you. You will have lost around 2-3 inches in size when you are 60 or so.

• More from Girls
    13