Ten Ways To Be a Kid Again

There (should) come a time in every fully grown adults life, where they say f-it, throw up their hands, and just decide to revert to their childhoods for just a moment. Life is hard, you're stressed about everything, you've got no time for anything, and you've got bills. We know this. We all know what the realities of being an adult are, but somtimes you just need to break away and have some fun that doesn't revolve around you going to Ikea to get a new duvet cover. Close your eyes and think back to the happiest moments of your childhood. Can you picture that greatest day, that vacation, doing something crazy with your siblings? Sure, most of us were free from any real hard life responsibilities back then, but there is nothing that says that everything about your childhood had to end just because you started paying your taxes. I invite you to just let it all go, and forget your troubles for a while and take a trip back to being young again with just a few ideas.

Ten Ways To Be a Kid Again

1. Re-create a childhood photo

Dig through your files, or gasp!, your hard copy pictures to find a childhood picture of yourself. Try your best to re-create the picture so you can have a side by side comparison from then until now. If there is more than one person in the picture, like a sibling, try to get them involved too. You can even make it a yearly activity to show the progression in time.

2. Set aside a day to eat like you always wanted to as a kid (or as an adult)

Donuts and waffles and icecream with gummy worms for breakfast, why not? Elbow sized burrito for lunch, but of course! A quarter pounder with cheese and curly fries, don't mind if I do. Truly indulge in all the treats you wish you could have eaten as a kid any time you wanted or wish you could eat like everyday. Give yourself one day to break with your diet, to stop thinking about every single calorie, to not have to cook a thing, to eat out of plastic wrappers and cardboard containers. Just enjoy the moment.

3. Take an actual bubble bath

Not too many adults take baths, what with all the water bills and clean up, and time consumption, but bubbles were fun as a kid. Give yourself a moment to linger in the tub until your fingers turn pruney. Put the bubbles in your hair and make a mohawk. Make a bubble snow man. No one can see or judge what you do in that tub!

4. Go to a theme park and ride ALL the rides

Take a friend or sibling whom you once went to these things with and make the effort to ride all, as many of the rides as possible, or maybe just your favorites. Be sure and pick up some cotton candy, or funnel cakes for good measure.

5. Have a costume party (not on Halloween)

Maybe use your birthday as an excuse or just have a random costume party that celebrates nothing in particular. Invite all your friends and tell them, they have to dress up. Most parties are all the same, but make yours unique, and extra themey, and serve all the crazy food you want.

6. Have a kid themed adult camping trip in your own backyard

Re-discover your old scouting days. You and a few friends dust off your old camping gear or simply construct a simple tarp to sleep under and bring sleeping bags, or just pillows and blankets, and create fun, crazy, or just plain stupid activities that you and your friends can do to earn badges. Be as creative as possible.

7. Do your favorite childhood art activities (that will of course go on your fridge)

Make a macaroni picture, a hand print turkey, a costume vest out of a grocery bag, a hat out of newspaper, color a picture of your family and pets, make some string art. Make sure you either put it on your fridge, or make an even bigger deal out of it by having it framed and hillariously signing your name and current age to it.

8. Go out in the rain or play in the sprinklers

Remember mud pies? Those gloriously messy creations that would have you tracking mud all over the house. Get out there in the rain or just after, and create some in the mud. Decorate them with leaves and sticks or other objects or for less mess, go play in your sprinkler or create your own slip and slide. Stop worry about your hair, clothes, and/or make-up and just have fun.

9. Go on a Scavenger Hunt

Go online and look up a photo scavenger hunt, grab your camera or cell phone, and get going. You can also try geo caching. https://www.geocaching.com/play

10. Build a Fort

Last but not least, and my favorite, is to build a fort. When you were a kid, you were often limited by your parents, lack of supplies, safety concerns, and your height for reaching and building the fort of your dreams, but as an adult, you have access to ladders, ropes, clips, tons of sheets, decorative items, electronics, and cushions and chairs, that you wont' get yelled at for using or for making a mess. Sketch out a design. Move the furniture around, think big, and then think bigger then that. Create rooms in your fort, like faux bathroom, dining room/kitchen, movie watching room, magazine room, art room, video game room. Let your imagination run wild with it and see just how crazy you can make it.

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 11

• Pfft please I always play in the rain, I'll be doing that when I'm 80 years old, well maybe lol.

• It's healthy in my opinion to act like a kid sometimes, watch a cartoon or something. It makes me feel young again.

• That's tame. When we were boys we were setting fire to things and blowing things up. We even tried to dam a canal at the edge of town but the police chased us before it was finished. Thank God it would have been a biblical disaster if we'd made it. Used to rake up cut grass and build big mazes out of it. Play tig but you couldn't tig over a wall ( they were only ankle height). I had a mad childhood. It ended when we started having to fight the other teams in our town. Then it was drinking and hash then sex then blackouts and jail. Finally kids and hard work

• Good one :)

• Why would I want to be a kid again?

• Because kids have it easier and better in almost every way lol

• @Dipsy you're seventeen! You haven't lived in the real world, I can guarantee that being an adult is far better than being a kid. People take you seriously as an adult. Responsibility builds character! Why is my whole generation a bunch of socialists that want to be kids again so they don't have to have responsibilities?

Oh, yeah. Coddling.

• I think you are really overthinking this. I've been on this earth now 33 years. I've been through some hell as an adult, and I've had my share of good times, but some of the best times of my life were being a kid. I'm not crazy to think you can go back to that, but why do you have to give up fun, which is what most of this list is, simply because you have more responsibilities in life. Life is quite a long road if you're lucky, and you have to be able to find that balance between the serious stuff and the silly stuff. So instead of just being all consumed with your cell phone, and your job, and trying to pay bills, take a second or ten, to enjoy having fun and throwing off your inhibitions to do something that you loved doing as a kid.

• First pic is epic, they all are standing in same format and also someone is in background

• Theme Park is good. My other favourite one is to go and play in a playground! Just, er, make sure there's no actual kids around or someone might call the cops. Going down slides and swinging from the monkey bars is still fun! And the swings! I always go on the swings!

• I still really love getting as high as possible on the swings and then jumping off Great workout for the legs too!

• I tend to stop swinging any higher when I feel the chains slacken at the top. No way do I go flying off, I'll mess up my ankles/knees worse than they already are.

• 8. Go out in the rain
    Last summer, when it had arround 38°C (~100°F) for weeks, I went out in the rain when it rained for the first time for about a month :-)

• Great ideas - I love the notion of recreating a childhood photo but without putting too much of a downer on it some people mightn't be there.

• well, I think most people would try to pick a picture where its either just them or everyone in it is living. As far as people who have gone on, you might consider it a tribute to their memory anyway.

• Good angle on missing people

• AWWWW... I feel like crying right now,... I am missing my kidful days

What Girls Said 13

• awwww so cute, I love this.

I'm still a kid but there are so many things I stopped doing after turning 12 :/

• I love this! I've actually gone out and played in the rain before. So fun. Just reading this made me a bit happier. I think I just might make macaroni art with my niece this weekend! Great Take!

• Ha! That's great. She'll be like, save some macaroni for me Auntie, you're using it all. LOL!

• Lol she really will. She's a sassy little 4yr old.

• great ideas☆
    i might try to recreate a photo.
    maybe not the one of my cousin kissing me when we were toddlers.

• You older adults wanna talk crap about us younger people being kids then you wanna figure out how to being one... Like wtf get a grip

• What a coincidence, me & my friend were just talking about having a throwback day where we do all our favorite childhood activities, like jump rope & etc. :) I loooved making forts, playing tag, playing dress up & playing w/ my easy bake oven, & swimming eveyday. :) What was ur favorite childhood activities? Also, Great mytake! :)

• That sounds awesome :)

• Challenge accepted to all, except every ride at a theme park.

• When I want to be a kid again (I realize I'm still a kid, but I mean like 5 lol) I eat goldfish and drink apple juice, I used to do that a lot when I was in kindergarten and it takes me back every time 😂

• Nice MyTake, I like the ideas :D

• I don't get people that insist on being oh so grown up.

Yeah, you get your freedom, sure, but you also gain a shitton of BORING responsibilities. To those people I say:
    http://i.imgur.com/dk1h0R2.png

• I've never stopped being one.

• Heck yeah number 3 #teambubblebath

In one of the better highlights of my nerd-childhood, I actually discovered the principle of half-lives in the bathtub when I was like 8 or 9 years old.
    Like, actually noticed that the time it took to go from 100% to 50% bubbles was about the same as the time it took to go from 50% to 25% bubbles, and so forth. (There was a loud-ass clock in that bathroom, so, that helped move the discovery process right along. LOL)

But, yep. When I was a kid, I actually used to sit in the bath and "read" ... wait for it... road atlases. #itsalwaysbeenhopeless
    That's right, imaginary road trips in the bathtub.

• you must clearly be some type of genius by now I assume

• Eh. Scatterbrain as always. College dropout. But, successful freelance business person, wife, and mother. <3

• Aww this is cute. I like #2 lol