Try Not to Feed The Trolls

Try Not to Feed The Trolls

I was reading something akin to a myTake online a few weeks back about a teenager who had suffered through some horrendous bullying at school that had gotten more vicious and violent over the years, and how it had led to a major depression and a suicide attempt. Thankfully however, she was saying how she had come out of it on the other end with the help of her friends, family, and support group with a positive outlook on life. As I scrolled down to give her a comment of encouragement as so many others were doing, there it was: "you should have f-ing killed yourself and saved us all the trouble of reading this." Even though the comment was not directed at me, it really made me angry to think, given the story the young girl was telling about what she had to endure, here is a person with no morality whatsoever, just trying to irritate, shame, pick fights, and destroy this girl or anyone who would listen, and for what? So they can get off on their sickness?

Trolls are those individuals who start arguments by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community meant to provoke usually an angry or negative response. There is basically nothing social media sites like Facebook, YouTube, or GAG can do to prevent people from trolling. You can set privacy settings, you can block people, you can try to go to positive sites and areas promiting family friendly environments, but trolls are unscrupulous individuals who hide behind the anonymity of the internet, and like roaches, you see one, there are hundreds more waiting in the wings right behind them. Trolling happens so frequently here and other places, that one almost has trouble distinguising sometimes between someone who generally disagrees or dislikes what you're saying, which is fine, and someone just out there trying to start fights with anyone who will take the bait.

Keep in mind that trolls don't always start off with negativity which is why it can sometimes be hard to spot them. They may start with a question or even a nice comment, and then respond with their stupidity and negativity. Responding to trolls will only ever lead you or others commenting to go round and round in useles arguments and hostilities. People continue to think that confronting trolls is actually doing something, but it doesn't. They like it, they feed off of your hostility, which is why the phrase, "don't feed the trolls" came into being. Try your best to ignore them, have a private page where you know everyone in your circle of commenters, ignore people who make comments that are so off topic or it's clear that they didn't read your take or story, block or ban those who continue to harrass you, simply comment with "I don't feed the trolls," and of course the most obvious, which is respond to those you can see have interest in your story, questions, ideas and whom you can get a sense after a few appearances in comments, are genuine people who want to debate, discuss, disagree, or like what you're saying. Give those type of people your full attention, and not the trolls. It's not easy and we all can get caught up with trolls from time to time, but continue to work on it and build upon a community who can recognize and put the trolls back under the bridge where they belong.

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

• I've trolled. Not just here, other places, as well. Sometimes for fun, sometimes for spite. I don't do it a lot, but I do.

• I believe trolls are good for the internet environment.
    So people dont take everything seriously and some are actually funny.
    Its also funny to know some of their stuff will be taken down, sometimes makes me feel sorry for them lol

• ill be honest i troll a lot but its not cuz im sad its cuz i want to see how people react to something i think about... i telll people im trolling after

• Trolls know that words on the internet hurt more than in rl and thrive on that :(

• "She endured..." Like she was climbing a mountain. What a joke. if you can't handle what people say, you need to leave the Internet.

Words don't hurt.

• NO! Don't listen to this girl.

• Trolling is fantastic when the other side trolls you back. My friends push bash hard and it's tons of fun.

• Normally ignoring the trolls should be the way to go. The issue though is that at this point anyone having an opposing / unpopular opinion is considered a troll. Kinda makes the whole thing into the boy who cries wolf.

• Reading through the comments, even here, there are some comments I disagree with, but as far as I can tell, they aren't trolling, just saying what they want. It is however, up to the individual who they do and don't want to talk to, trolling or not. People get all worked up because its the internet, but in real life, when people get on your nerves, they say offensive things, they are jerks, we don't keep those people around... and we know them... why would I want to keep someone like that, that does that, that I don't even know, around in conversation. Everybody has a right to decide who they want to talk to, though if you go about deleting and blocking everyone who even slightly disagrees with you, that's working its way to an ego problem, I'm sure.

• "Waaaaaaah! He disagreed with and I don't like it!" Sounds about right. Though, I think, sometimes, it's their modus operandi, rather than what they said that earned them the title.

• *Disagreed with me

• Very good take :)

• Why do I feel this is referring to those who don't comply with women's indoctrination, feminism and gynocentric agendas? Anyone who doesn't is immediately called TROLL by women and the feminazis come to their aid... in the case of this website... the moderators and a few white-knight users

This kind of censorship of free speech especially when we have all the facts on our side makes us no better than NORTH KOREA

• You are free to move to North Korea if you feel we are no better, but somehow I doubt you'll be booking your plane ticket any time soon.

• Well, overall we're not equally bad as yet... but we're soon getting there as feminism continues to be entertained...

• Quite a slippery slope, eh?

• Well someone has to expose the lies of feminists

• I'm sorry I try not to troll... but some things are so ridiculous I just have to :(

Like when pouty duck face girls are asking for people to rate their attractiveness.

• You don't have to. You could just walk away and not interact with them when they ask those questions. You're still giving them attention so they'll continue to do it even if it's negative attention.

• Nice take...

• Just never get offended by anything. It really isn't that hard. Give less fucks.

• people are gonna troll

I ignore it lol

• Very good points - Sites like this are good for people but the nanosecond it becomes negative for you move on to next question that is way I operate. I am here to be constructive, anything that takes away from that I am gone but I won't leave the people that are constructive to me.

• I think you read this... fabian15

• Or maybe if you get offended by teeny tiny things that random strangers tell you, then you should consider growing up a little.

What Girls Said 4

• Trolling may be fun for some, but if it hurts someone else then it is not.

• Honestly, I don't understand why would someone talk about how they were bullied, tried suicide, etc. on a public forum if not to incite some pity.
    I didn't read the story (as I always try to skip that kind of drama), but think about it. That person was bullied by at school for YEARS which led to blah blah blah, and then needed the help of friends, family and how many other people to get back on her feet. Oh, so these people were there all along! She actually had FRIENDS, possibly at the same school!

I'm not saying bullying is okay or that kind of reply, but I think it's time to start to realize some people, for some reason, will play the victim eternally and everything is someone else's fault.
    If a troll on the internet brings someone to depression, something else is already wrong in that person's life.

• 1|2
  • Yep. Don't feed the trolls people. Ignore it and maybe it will go away