My Neighbor Horror Story

I moved out last year in April. I had found a really nice apartment, decent size and affordable rent. It was the first apartment I even looked at, and I got it. I felt so lucky and people kept telling me that I hit the jackpot. I had no idea what kind of hell I'd have to go through the next 6 months.

I bought a lot of new furniture, moved in, decorated just the way I liked it. I loved feeling independent and finally having my own space. I had a nice view over a park, in a calm neighborhood. It was just too good to be true. The only downside I could see at that time was the fact that I didn't have an oven, only a microwave. But I felt like it was worth it anyway since everything else was perfect.

I got a taste of what the next half year would be like on the third night. I was sitting on my bed browsing the internet in the evening, listening to some music, when I suddenly started hearing sounds. I took out one of the earphones and listened. I could hear my neighbors arguing about something. It felt weird since my parents' apartment had super thick walls, and you could literally not hear anything from anyone. But I shrugged, accepted the fact that not all apartments are that well built and went back to browsing, increasing the volume of my music slightly. But when I was done browsing and ready to go to sleep, maybe an hour or two later, they were still arguing. I got very irritated but again, decided to accept it as a part of life and tried to block out the sounds with my pillow.

It kept happening. Every few days, they would start fighting. Usually late in the evening or at night. Sometimes they tried to keep it cool, other times they literally started screaming at each other. I told my parents and they reacted the same way I first did, by shrugging and explaining that it's just something I have to accept now that I have less soundproof walls. But I didn't buy it. Something felt very off. Sometimes I could literally hear exactly what they were arguing about. One time it was about a car, another time about rent or just money in general. The woman had not accepted a job opportunity because of the man, for whatever reason, so they fought about that too. I tried to not eavesdrop, but because they were so loud, it was just impossible to not hear.

One night, I decided to strike back. I had had enough. They started yelling at each other late at night again, so I decided to kick the wall with my heels while lying on my back on the bed. I kicked as hard as I could and took out all my pent up anger on that wall, lol. It worked. They became silent and I was able to go back to sleep, hoping that they had gotten the message. I was wrong.

They were silent for a few more days, but the woman broke the silence one evening by yelling again. This time the man wasn't present, so it sounded like she was yelling at him over the phone. I listened for a while, but then decided to send another message. This time, by yelling back. I yelled out "STOP!" as loudly as I could without actually screaming. She got silent again, but like last time, the silence didn't last for more than a few days.

My parents now noticed that this wasn't normal anymore, and we decided to contact the woman who owned my apartment, as well as the building's landlord, to let them know what was going on. The landlord sent the couple a formal warning and in a nutshell told them to shut up and abide to the building's rules (you have to be more careful with how much sound you make past 11 PM as to respect those who want to sleep).

It got a little better after that, but only a little. Instead of arguing loudly maybe 4 times a week, they were down to 2 times a week. I still felt so frustrated. I'm a very sensitive person, so having to hear them argue constantly made me feel like shit. Not only due to the lack of sleep, but because literally I could not stand hearing that much negativity going on. And to make matters worse, I slowly figured out that they actually have a kid, because I heard the kid crying one night. He/she got involved in one of their arguments, and the man told the kid to "shut the fuck up". It was horrible. I left them a note saying that if they seriously don't stop arguing past 11 PM, I'm going to contact the police. In hindsight, I should have done that A LOT earlier. Not just threatened, but actually called the police.

I had enough one night in October. I had had trouble falling asleep, so I didn't sleep until around 1 or 2 AM. But then I woke up really early in the morning, at maybe 4 AM, to the sound of my neighbors having a party. They were playing loud music and their guests were also talking and laughing loudly. I tried kicking the wall but either they didn't hear it, or they didn't care. I had a meltdown. At 7 AM I contacted my mom, crying, saying that I wanted out. I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take hearing their fighting, the negativity that affected me so badly, and the sleepless nights. My neighbors had showed zero signs of remorse. Not once had they apologized for the countless times that they had fought and kept me up at night. And the fact that they threw a massive party, knowing full well just how thin our walls were and how mad I was at them, further proved just how little they actually cared about anyone but themselves. That just pissed me off even more. They were actual assholes.

So, I broke the contract. Thankfully the owner of the apartment was very understanding. Since I had informed her of what was going on every now and then, she sympathized with me and allowed me to get out and find another apartment. I started apartment hunting, found an ok one within a month (this time with a nicer kitchen and an actual oven) and started the process of moving out. The night before moving out, my dad was wonderful enough to come over and help me pack my things in the evening. We had a really nice time, listening to some quiet music while talking about life. We finished up at around 9 PM and I decided to sleep at their place since I couldn't stand the thought of possibly having to deal with my neighbors for a last time.

I put on my jacket and my shoes, and went out in the hall with my bags and stuff to give my dad more room to get dressed as well. Then we closed the door and started walking down the spiral staircase towards the first floor. Literally after walking down maybe 5 steps, I heard my neighbor open their front door. He just stood there in the doorway, staring at us like a crazy person. I didn't think much of it right at that point, because I figured that maybe he was just about to take out the trash or something. But once we were out of his sight, I heard him close the door. So he had literally opened the door just to stare angrily at us. What a fucking sick creep.

That's it. That was my story about my creepy, angry, fucked up neighbors who were unable to stop screaming for more than just a few days. I should have called the cops on them way earlier, especially considering that they have a kid. But I always figured that they would pretend like nothing has happened and try to blame it on me. They even denied ever throwing a party, when I mentioned it to the landlord. The only and best thing I could do in my situation, was to simply move. Now I feel a lot happier. I can finally sleep better. I don't have any loud neighbors. The walls are thicker so I've only heard some quiet mumbling. And I finally have a nice kitchen with an oven, so I can bake lots of cake and cookies. The only downsides are that the rent is a bit higher, the bathroom is smaller and I don't have a nice view anymore. But even with the downsides, this apartment is so much better for me and I feel like I can finally relax in my own home.

My Neighbor Horror Story

lumos is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 14

• The problem with those situations is that you can enforce your rights under your lease, force your landlord to take actions against the neighbors, etc. However, the neighbors will know who has initiated the complaint and, since they are crazy and don't care about you anyway, they might decide to have some revenge. Maybe they vandalize your car, break into your apartment while you are gone, etc. You know that they are the ones who did it but you can't prove it so the cops can't arrest them.

The best thing that you can do is exactly what you did. Move out and find better conditions.

• Enjoyed the read. Fuck those neighbours. I'm happy that you've found a better place now.

• I am having the same problem in my rented apartment premises as well...
    The Kids keep crying, Brothers fighting, parents arguing and women moaning & crying loudly is probably the worst of all...
    I sleepover at my friends or colleagues place on many occasions n have started hating living in apartments literally :/ :(

• That sucks :/ I feel for you. Hopefully you'll be able to find a peaceful place soon.

• i had a neighbor who lived below me and every time i'd drop something she'd pound on the ceiling w/ a broomstick. eventually in fear of getting written complaints i began attempting to catch stuff midair.

after all that practice i can safely say i've saved my phone from hitting the ground numerous times by catching it midair. it's a reflex now.

thanks neighbor.

p. s. bake me a cake.

• yep, the joys of living in an apartment... Start a down payment savings account and buy yourself a home... suggestion, when you are considering a new property stake the place out on the weekend... late, just park and observe the activity before you commit...

• Some apartments are better than others, like I said my parents' last apartment was as soundproof as it could get. I'm also very happy in my current apartment so I'm not planning on getting a house anytime soon 😁

• I'm lucky I don't have neighbors like those ones (even though I live in a house).

• I've had some bad neighbors also. Almost called the cops on them once. They're gone now, so someone else must have done it. Drunken losers.

• Well thats definitely a bummer, i hope this was the end of that ordeal for you.

• Yes, been living in my current apartment since December, so 4 months. No complaints so far. Someone used to leave their unwanted newspapers and flyers in the hall but that was somehow taken care of pretty quickly. Pretty small stuff compared to what I went through at the last place :)

• look at more then 1 & I'll bet you would have picked one with an oven.

• Good for you

• That sounds pretty awful. The worst I had was my last apartment where eventually a girl moved in upstairs, and I could hear her walking around because the floor of her place creaked and I guess everything was paper thin. Then, of course, I could always hear her at night going form the bathroom to her bed right above mine, followed by her boyfriend getting into bed and then the two of them fucking. lol!

• I wonder who's idea it is to build these godawful apartments that have 0 soundproofing. :/ Some sounds are fine and expected. But hearing your neighbors walk around, or even whispering (which I did sometimes)... that's just weird.

• Well I would say that hearing that is worse than hearing whispering...

• Yeah. Sometimes it was super annoying. But I'll admit that sometimes it was pretty hot! lol!

• Wow. Some people have zero consideration.

• Yeah - That is everyone nightmare, noisy neighbours especially if you are a quiet person yourself - While not much comfort it is one of those things you have to chalk up to experience - You know what to do if it happens again, don't let it fester, confront them or complain to landlord or threaten police. If you don't get a good vibe back, get out, it won't change and will bring you down so getting somewhere new is best for you.

• Lesson learned. Never trust an apartment without an oven lol, serious note whoever was the acoustical engineer did a bad job at it.

• Lmao right! And yeah, seriously terrible. Didn't even feel like we were in different apartments. More like different rooms in the same apartment. It's weird though because my mom's friend lives in the same building a few floors up and has never had a problem with noise. Makes me wonder if my old apartment and their apartment used to be a single apartment, but later on someone put up a crudely built wall to make them two separate ones...

• Yeah and the sad thing is, the neighbour's kid is the one suffering the most from their parents shananigans

• I know. It sucks. And knowing that made things even worse for me. I hope the kid will have a good life despite all of that.

What Girls Said 8

• It sucks that you couldn't be comfortable in your own home. Some people are only considerate when it comes to themselves and not others. Selfish, is the word.
    I am glad you're at a better place now :)

• How is this even a take... good for ya...

• Not sure what you mean?
      "myTakes are another post type for you to share your experience, knowledge with the GAG community."
      I shared my experience with my awful ex neighbors. :)

• That was a similar situation in my old apartment building. Cops always showing up, loud fighting or super loud sex, little kids breaking stuff in the hallways, someone who never cleaned had some rotting food or animal in their apartment and it smelled revolting, or it always smelled like super strong curry so strong it would make you cry. And LOTS of parties and smoking! Like some apartment floors were so smoky it looked foggy in there... Good thing they put all the smokers on one floor.

• Oh honey, that's awful. I'm glad you're in a better situation now!

• I had a neighbor like that and I took her to court. Turns out she had been kicked out of every flat she has ever rented and has had to move to a far away county now. No one has messed with me since.

• Good on you for taking it that far! A part of me wishes that I would have, but then again I felt like I had already had enough of their shit.

• Boooo! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that!!! It's great that you got out and into a better situation!

• Thanks for the support :D yeah, I was just not happy at all in that apartment. It also made me super self-conscious about how much sound I was making (which was very little, but still) and I started catching myself sneaking around. In my own apartment. How stupid is that?

• It just shows how important it is to be considerate of others in group living.

• Yeah 😕

• Yep... That happens in apartments. I've lived in 4 apartments and had similar problems.

• This is my life and I just get on with it, no big deal.

• For me it was and is a big deal since it kept me up at night. My grades suffered 😕