Is This Movie Ad Promoting Violence Against Women?

Actress Rose McGowan took to Facebook to complain about the above poster recently, saying:

There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film. There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and frankly, stupid. The geniuses behind this, and I use that term lightly, need to to take a long hard look at the mirror and see how they are contributing to society. Imagine if it were a black man being strangled by a white man, or a gay male being strangled by a hetero? The outcry would be enormous. So let’s right this wrong. 20th Century Fox, since you can’t manage to put any women directors on your slate for the next two years, how about you at least replace your ad...I’ll close with a text my friend sent, a conversation with his daughter. It follows: ‘My daughter and I were just having a deep discussion on the brutality of that hideous X-Men poster yesterday. Her words: ‘Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?’ This from a 9-year-old. If she can see it, why can’t Fox?”

And what did Fox do? Well, Fox apologized for the billboard saying:

In our enthusiasm to show the villainy of the character Apocalypse we didn’t immediately recognize the upsetting connotation of this image in print form. Once we realized how insensitive it was, we quickly took steps to remove those materials. We apologize for our actions and would never condone violence against women.”

Sigh. Are we really at a point in life where certain people are deciding that we are not allowed to have fiction anymore because it might seem too much like something somewhere in life? Look, no decent person with a mother, wife, or young daughter is going to stand up and shout, hey we want to see some of that real violence against women...yes, more of that please. No, people aren't going to want to be a part of that except we aren't talking about that. These are fictional beings in a fictional universe that fight fictional battles. We've complained forever that the action industry was male centered and it basically has been for a lot of "societal" reasons," but now that more women are on the screen as action/fantasy/syfy characters, I'm not sure what we are expected to expect them to do exactly in these films: "hey, just yell at the boys ladies, and tell them to stop fighting while you knit on the sidelines!"

Hello, the whole point of having badass female characters in a villainous, and I might add, fictional world, is that they are ALSO expected to fight and save the world of their own accord without relying on some dude to always come running and save them and as such, it often involves them having to fight and defend themselves...just like the men in these films. I might also add there are several scenes in these types of movies where female characters are equally beating up on the men, but again YES, a million times, YES, violence against women or men is bad, but let's focus that to real violence in the real world. We should all put our focus on that as opposed to what is a fictional work involving non-human characters.

I mean honestly, if we continue on this train of thought, let's also prohibit movie posters with men being punched or choked by other men. Let's just prohibit fiction in fictional movies altogether. Trust me when I say, when a man, or woman for that matter, gets to the point where s/he's actually physically choking his/her child or significant other, it wasn't because they saw an X-men movie. Remember how the Matrix "caused" high schoolers to shoot their class mates. Do you know how many high schoolers saw the Matrix and continue to see the Matrix and never commit murder or crime. Anyway, Fox is taking steps to take it down, so it is what it is, but honestly, if we're going to rally hard behind something and get people involved, let's do it for REAL people who are in real danger and need help, not blowing up over two actors made to look like they are hurting one another in a fictional universe.

For some real ways to help end violence against women read, participate, and donate:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs239/en/

http://www.care.org/work/womens-empowerment/violence-against-women

http://womenthrive.org/issues/violence-against-women?gclid=CMnB95iwj80CFQ4zaQodXAkLeQ

http://www.unwomen.org/en/trust-funds/un-trust-fund-to-end-violence-against-women/donate

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 78

• It is promoting violence against women the same way the movie is promoting mass murder/destroying the world.

• Well, one thats utter bullshit. If it was a male character it would be just fine so why is it okay to promote violence against men. Two since its a man doing the violence isn't that propagating the sterotype that males are abusive? Three technicly violence against women is the least likely thing to occur since 80% of all violent crime victims are male plus men are actually more likely to be victims of domestic violence then women: www.saveservices.org/.../
    On top of which we have multiple laws that are specificly aimed to protect women (none for men) so her statements are wrong on so many levels that its just idioticly stupid, more so that no one called her out on being so stupid. Fox should not have apologized because if this is a fair and equal society then in a fiction action movie where their are "strong and independent" female protaganist then they should also be able to be subjected to the same level of violence as the male characters are subjected to not just as artistic freedom but in the name of equality and fairness. Otherwise we just have the (far more common) occurence of men being the victims of violence, something society seems pretty okay with. Funny that she ignored all of that. Just another example of society continueing to indulge stupid. Thank you for giving me on more thing to be pissed off about. GOD ITS SO STUPID!

• she's not even human, she's a mutant.

people take this shit way out of context.

its a supervillain choking a mutant. not some offensive image of a man strangling a woman. this is fucking comics, you either dig it or gtfo, for reals.

• O for fucks sake no the billboard it isn't promoting violence against women and no it is not oppressing women, take your first world feminists bullshit somewhere else.

This is honestly question/statement about this billboard is just about as stupid as this ridiculous incident with this billboard where feminists were being offended.

youtu.be/uOetVDqjwVM

Honestly it's just a movie it's hero's vs villains, and you know what? they are going to beat the shit out of each other, do you know what I do when I fight a woman in a sparring or tournament match? I punch, kick, grapple, hold and beat them to the ground and win, why? because it's a fight. The movie is the same thing, people fighting to win, the strongest survive and the weakest lose, they are not going to make women hero's or women villains win simply because they are women it's stupid and it's ridiculous and yes the women fighting in the movie are going to get their asses handed to them, why? because they are fighting far more and powerful and experienced fighters. But movies do not equal reality and sound minded people are not going to watch this or look at the billboard and then all of a sudden feel the urge to beat up or hurt women, that's not how the world works.

And yes I did read the second part of your take and yes we should help women in 3rd world nations or in Europe who are getting raped, assaulted and kidnapped but these things act of violence and terror have nothing to do with movies, actresses or billboards these issues have to do with criminals, money, terrorists and traditions and ideals going back thousands of years.

And if you don't want people to misread the context of what your trying to say then take out all the nonsense about the movies, billboards and actresses and feminism and just be clear and to the point you want to help people in third world countries specifically women who are being hurt and tormented so just say that, there is no need for all this BS about billboards and movies portraying ideas and being offensive.

• Actually if you write a take, one would hope people would actually read it and understand it. My point is very clear that I did not feel as if this was an ad promoting violence against women and in fact, if people do actually want to do something about violence against women or men for that matter, here are ways to do it RATHER THEN BULLSH*T complaining about a piece of fiction. This was something posted up all over the web today and I thought someone, especially a woman, should respond to the stupidity of it all whilst actually also talking about what we should be worried about if anything. Do I think they are one in the same... obviously if you read the take which you said you did, you know I do not... but that's my point. If you are going to get a giant stick up your butt over a movie poster that means nothing... why don't you stop pissing over nothing and do something that actually helps people in the real world. Is that perfectly clear and agenda free enough for you?

• Apology accepted. It's funny how it seems any time a woman has an opinion on this website about gender issues, her own or the other, she must automatically be some crazy feminist. It's the new "racist."

• It's because the internet especially social media is a place were feminists go because they are powerful in groups and they are able to overwhelm people with pure shit because their ideals and ideology can't stand up to logical and rational thinking or argument. I've seen it about a 100 times no joke on this site among many others, the internet is a place were the crazy, radical and idiotic flourish.

• If it was the other way around, no one would complain. It's a f*cking movie, it goes with the context of the movie. If you can't read what the picture means, then it's your fault you're fucking stupid. Goddammit, I'm tired of these people making everything about sex, like seriously, the world doesn't revolve around you, not everything is done to hate women... ffs -_-
    The worst part, like you said, is that the media falls for this bullshit and apologizes. The worst thing you can do is apologize cause they'll keep on complaining about everything.
    Next time, with an ad of a man holding a girl's hand, they'll say he's viciously grabbing her hand and dragging her to his cabin without her consent... -_-

• Aren't women strong, independent, and can do whatever a man can do in high heels? For every 1 ad you show where women are hurt, I can show you 10 more such as this one:

http://i.imgur.com/aHIumk2.jpg

Do men complain? Nope. When men get hit in the balls it's funny. However, when the genders are switched, it's offensive. Gotta love the double standards in PC Murica.

• I just don't get the outcry over the x-men movie poster. As I mentioned to someone else, we have female soldiers, police, firefighters, etc. who actually fight against real bad guys who can and do hurt people, women included... are we to tell them to just sit back and let the boys handle it because they might get hurt. Wouldn't that be setting us back? And we're not even talking real life... now we have to have female action characters who do what exactly in films, bat their eyelashes... these are bad guys and bad women who do bad things in a fictional universe, but both sides are fighting that. I view that as a positive message, and as in real life, yeah, you kind of have to get your hands dirty if you're going to do that male or female.

• Has the World really got this Anal/Retentive?

• It appears so. I didn't even understand the actresses analysis of this... if it had been a white man choking a black man... I mean, we're talking about two blue fictional characters frozen in time in what I assume in a lengthy fight scene... and fictional... again... one more time... fictional... it really is NOT the same thing.

• almost perverse

• No context? He's the fucking villain in a superhero movie. It says X-Men there is that not context. Oh more context they're both blue. by the way if the female characters only fought each other then feminists would cry how women are not beeing shown as beeing capable enough to take on men etc. But when the male villain is fighting the female hero then it's violence against women. This is the problem with SJW's and movies where the fuck is the creativity gonna be if everything has to adhere to your fucking rules? You can see a feminist movie here if you like it's a fucking masterpiece I bet it's going to beat X-Men apocalypse at the box office just wait. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bLFQqUiCM

• I hope you didn't just read the title of my take, but the context...

• Something I would like to see though is more Asian actors and actresses. I think there's a ton of talented actors and actresses in Asia sadly a lot of them don't speak English. I've already watched a bunch of Kung Fu movies and Korean dramas with subtitles (some really good acting there) but more Asians in Hollywood would be cool. I think with Asia beeing a big market now we will see at least more chinese people in Hllywood movies but I don't know about Korea and Japan.

• I'm gonna sleep nigh :P

• I agree. And who gives a shit about Rose McGowan anymore? Sounds like she just wanted to cry about this to get some stardom again or something. Insecure feministic women will always cry about this kind of stuff, so I tune it out most times.

• No, it should be obvious to people that it's not. God, people are so retarded. Even if it was specifically meant to be about violence against women it would still not be promoting it. In context Apocalypse doesn't give a shit about anyone or any identifier, including women. Misogyny is beneath him, he's *that* villainous.

And people trying to say it's promoting violence against women are implicitly revealing their own sexist attitudes, because if it's exactly what they say it is then that would mean that if the genders were reversed or it was only guys then it's all fine: It's promoting violence against men and that's ok (which would not be ok)

And Fox , omg wtf are you doing? Don't apologize, jeez. Not only are you giving into their BS attitudes and looking retarded, but now there's blood in the water.

• I don't find the add insensitive personally, I see two heroes fighting, not an act of violence against women!

Should we just get rid of all female superheroes? I highly doubt feminists would like THAT!

• It just frustrates me especially as a fan because it is literally almost as if this actress is saying that essentially women should just sit down and shut up in movies because they can't fight, they can't defend themselves, nor should they fight for what they feel is right in and albeit, comic, but unjust world. How is that a good message? We see in our actual modern world that there are indeed female soldiers, female firefighters, female police officers, all who risk their same amount of real lives to help defend and save people... should we go backwards and tell them, oh b/c some bad guy might choke you or fire a gun at you, they shouldn't do their job b/c that's violence against women? It boggles the mind. Let's fight against the real bad people on this earth and not worry about some silly little movie somehow magically corrupting our minds.

• I don't think that is what she's saying. I think everyone is getting very upset over a point which is valid. She's not saying there shouldn't be violence in movies, she's saying you shouldn't advertise a woman being choked completely out of context. It's different if you choose to watch the movie of your own volition but when you're just walking down the street minding your own business and you see a man choking a woman on a giant sign and two weeks ago your husband or father was choking you like that? It can be distressing for that person. I'm not saying I agree that it is promitting violence but these ads are in highly visible places for all to see and not everyone is goIng to want to see that. You have to see it from both sides really. Advertise the movie, yes but does a woman need to be choked on it? Or a man?

• *promoting

• So since the ads starring her are being taken down, she will receive less in Ad Rev than if they stay up. Assuming her and Jackman have the same number of ads, but his don't get taken down, she will make less than him.

I don't want to live in a world where an actress isn't payed the same as an actor for the same work (same number of initial ads). If Fox actually listens to this dipshit, than they will, all hypothetical here, willingly pay a woman less than a man for equal work, that's a far larger injustice than posing.

Rose McGown should "take a long hard look at the mirror and see how [she is] contributing to society," you know, promoting unequal pay and all.

• Didn't think about this till I already posted, but why does ROSE MCGOWN get to set the precedence? she's not in the movie or a Fox employee? Shouldn't Jennifer Lawrence get to decide, or at least get a say, if she thinks her ad promotes violence?

If people who aren't a part of a movie's production get a say in how its publicly handled, I want a written apology from Colombia for doing such a shitty trailer and even Considering a reboot for Ghostbusters. Lol, I want equality.

• I'm more outraged by its obvious promotion of mutant on mutant violence. This is egregious! Do you here me, egregious!

• Jesus fucking Christ, there are millions of starving children in the world and we botch and moan about a movie poster? Good one humanity, good one.

• a2.files.xojane.com/.../...DUwMzA5ODM4MTg0NTIw.jpg
    An argument could be made that with thrse pics she is actually promoting dating a rock star to use his fame and that its ok for a woman to be objectified if she's advancing her career. How quickly celebs forget where they cam from and how much of their soul they sold off for their fame.

• she'd probably just say, she was promoting her freedom of sexuality, not objectifying herself.

• thats probably true though but when I used to work construction or as a lumberjack, or as a miner or at an oil rig there was few if no women there, the money was amazing but few women were willing to apply which is a shame.

• I think with any position where you are a first or the only when another gender is dominant in the field, whether male or female, it's going to be hard. Point blank, people aren't going to want you there. I became a manager years ago of some 80 employees and it was tough. A lot of the guys refused to give me any respect at first, whereas, the male manager would walk in, and everyone, male and female alike, never questioned him or back talked or ignored his orders completely even though we'd started around the same time. It was rough for a few months, but I did it for the same reason you mention about your own jobs... good money. Of course after I left, before the dust even settled, it was back to a male manager only situation. I guess I served my purpose as the token woman enough to get by any claims against the company that they have uneven hiring practices.

• My daughter and I were just having a deep discussion on the brutality of that hideous X-Men poster yesterday. Her words: ‘Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?’
    - this is everything thats wrong with our society. The fact that a nine yo sees a male looking blue monster choking a female looking blue creature and automatically thinks its violence against WOMEN. So its not violence against people, or animals or monsters or mutants or whatever. Apparentlt only violence against women is bad while all the other violence is normal!
    Smh...
    Then again.. I dont see much credibility in that statement anyway. Pretty sure its fabricated

• The 1st thing that came to my mind was that "this guy has a really big face and really really short hand"

My 2nd thought after a couple minutes of thinking "must be a really big and hairless dwarf. No wonder he looks pissed"

• I saw this on the news and it's idiotic.

Mystique is one of the lead protagonists in this movie, all the other protagonists say how much they respect and admire her. So there, she is a strong and aspirational female figure.

Now, within context: here she takes on the bad guy and isn't doing too well because he is so powerful. You want equality? Here you go. Female characters can get their butts kicked, too.

• Wadu just make all woman in comic books and movies cartoons.

The daphnne of the show or princess peach
    Just make them shut up and be pretty. And get saved by Mario.

We messed up by making them equal. because now they bitch.

I love powerful female character but if this were tjs going just. make them bland character that beraly severe the plot.

I love wonder woman powerful character best pet of the movie is when she fight dooms day. She cut his arm off and she omega beamed her ass. she got back up and was fighting.

Erza scarlet fariytail is my fav female character in all anime cartoon history.

Power puff girls my fav episode is when they going blow to blow with the rowdey ruff boyz. Them beating the out of the boyz and the boy throwing them to building they were even.

But now you know what just be a boring character

• Someone really needs to sit down.

Stare eye-eye with Rose McGowan for about... hm... I'd say 10 seconds.

And then slap her across the face.

HARD.

Maybe that'll cure her of her stupidity.

• More from Guys
    58

What Girls Said 36

• You know, I find it ironic when people are outraged by things they did once themselves. So, here's a little look into Roses career

Devil in the Flesh, she was evil and tried to kill someone
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Devil_in_the_Flesh_(1998_film)
    Jawbreaker, she was the leader of a high school clique and they killed someone.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawbreaker_(film)
    Charmed, she was in that show from seasons 4-8 and her and her sisters fought demons every week and most of them were men and being evil demons they weren't polite when they tried to kill the Charmed ones
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charmed
    Law & Order: SVU, she guest starred on that show and I believe in that episode she was playing a woman who was sleeping with her own brother
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Law_%26_Order:_Special_Victims_Unit
    The Pastors Wife, this Lifetime movie is based on a true story of women who was married to a pastor and then shot him dead and went on the run with her kids.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pastor%27s_Wife_(film)

I'm sure you are wondering if I have a point, well my point is that as long as she's getting paid violence of any sort doesn't bother her but if she's not getting paid it's apparently a problem.

I don't think there's one person in the world that thinks abuse of any kind, toward anyone is okay. I don't think there's anyone that would advocate it as a good thing, because it's not. But, this is a movie poster that's advertising for a movie. It's not meant as how to guide for life, it's entertainment. I mean, people watch boxing and no one bats an eye when one guy punches the other guy and he's bleeding all over the place, people just sit in a chair and cheer their favorite fighter on. And, that's actual hand to hand combat, this is just a movie with actors. There's a difference and the fact that not many people no the difference between reality and fiction is sad to me.

• Ugh! Yessss, let's talk about Charmed and Planet Terror. You can't go on a rant about fictional violence when half your notable career is filled with tv and film roles in which she is doing the same. Call it magical on charmed and what not, but she was fighting and killing men who were trying to hurt her, so what's the difference now? Because it wasn't on a poster it's more okay... and as you said, she made the buck, so doubly okay. It's hypocrisy.

• Yes, it is hypocrisy. Let's not forget she was in the movie scream and got killed in the movie, the killer was a man. So, logically speaking if we go with her logic that means she 's advocating violence towards women? It honestly doesn't make sense Also, who really looks at billboards anyway? I live in a small town, so we don't have any. So, the only way I could see them is if I was on a very busy high way or in the city and most people on the high way or in the city are busy with work and stuff. So, in the grander scheme, does it really matter what's on the billboard?

• YES! (adds... to her it does).

• Let's also point out that if that ad had of been apocalypse strangling a man, no one would have thought twice about it. No one would have said "This is promoting violence towards men." Why when it's a woman? It's a comic book character in a fight. I'm all for being against abuse of any kind but jesus this is a movie... with fighting scenes that involve both men and women. We should be happy that there are strong female roles in super hero movies.

• It's promoting their own damn movie.

Mystique is a "good guy" while he is a "villian", so of course it'll show them in duel together. I find this to be dumb as shit. It'd be okay if it was a dude, but it isn't okay because she's female?

This is a part of double standards.

"We'd never promote violence against women..."

But it's okay to promote violence against men?

I don't find it OK to "promote" violence to anyone, regardless of gender, but it's a fucking movie. A movie where a good guy happens to be a female. A movie where the villian happens to be a male.

I'm strongly against men hitting women, women hitting men or people hitting people in general. I'd still watch this movie, because this advertisement is promoting *their own damn movie*

• She should have just made him the damned sandwich.

• It's a movie! But I can see how it might upset some women who have experienced domestic violence. So maybe another clip from the movie would have been more appropriate. E. g. Like one man stabbing another man! Lol

• The discussion started because the ad is *normalizing* violence against women, not *promoting*. There is a difference. We do not *promote* gun violence, but current tv and movie and video game culture does normalize it. The argument was if you are in a culture that is saturated with images of women as objects to be dominated or abused, that can affect the way that culture treats women and how people react to violence against women when it occurs.

Think of it this way: if our culture was extremely peaceful, physical violence in media and real life was very rare, this image would be jarring, shocking, outstanding in our minds. There would be a visceral reaction of "omg this is NOT right" and it would make the image that more effective if the point was to say "this is how dangerous Apocalypse is to everything you know!" However, you see this image and think nothing of it. Why? We see images of casual violence *all the time*. Now, in this case you have Mystique - she is not a powerful mutant. She is dangerous and clever, but she isn't a physical powerhouse that can go toe to toe with the toughies. Therefor there is no reason for this image to shock us. We aren't going "Wow, he is strangling the Hulk!!! This guy is a badass!" It is gratuitous and just shows another female being manhandled by some big violent dude. Since we have an epidemic on this *planet* of physical violence, rape, partner abuse against women, showing images like this when they aren't germane to the story just further normalize and deaden us to these images. Next time you hear your neighbors arguing or see a couple struggling outside a nightclub, you might be more likely to shrug it off or think she did something to deserve it because you are so used to these images, they don't shock you anymore. Megan Fox made her comment to point out that when you have images like this around a lot, you see higher instances of violence against women. It is statistically proven, everywhere. So having a movie billboard with this image and it isn't telling an important part of the story is adding to the problem and it didn't need to.

So promoting? No. No one said that. Fox studios and Marvel aren't trying to encourage violence against women. But they are so deadened to those images that they slapped this up there and think it's normal and ok. And next time some guy gets really drunk and angry, he might remember how cathartic this image seemed and decide to grab his girl this way and throttle her and voila.

• How little you think of hummanity. Not two months ago, I was in a grocery store parking lot and a man literally jumped out with a crow bar from his trunk in the car next to me and went round and started yelling at his girlfriend or wife. Did I "shrug it off," and say, oh she deserved it. No... because I'm a woman, and this clearly wasn't another woman who deserved it, so I ran in the store and got the manager and called the police. Do I watch violent movies and films and video games, sure do. It's really patronizing when people think that just because you for example watch 50 shades of grey, you're going to be swinging from the rafters next week, or you watch the Matrix, it's going to make you gun someone down. People who are abusers did not get that way from watching television or movies or seeing dozens of images. These are people often with years of first hand neglect, and experiences with real violence that translates into their adult lives when they do the same.

• How little you think of *me* that you assume I think little of society. I do not. But I have took a lot of anthro/sociology and psychology courses in college and have kept up with my reading since graduating and the fact is studies have shown, repeatedly, that saturation of images of a certain type cause desensitization to the seriousness of some criminal or anti social behaviors. Obviously there are people that will not just blindly ignore someone in trouble, and we still have many stories that get told that encourage bravery, selflessness and a willingness to help others. I applaud those. But we need every single one to counteract seeing a lot of images that dehumanize people. Sometime take a look at "Hollywood's Headless Women". Or something similar in title. It's an interesting look at the trend in movie posters and billboards over decades showing faceless or headless women in sexualized positions to advertise movies. And then we have a lot of sexual assault and rape in our culture

• If you are repeatedly exposed to visual stimuli, audio stimuli (words, pejoratives for example) or story archetypes that are negative over and over, it WILL affect if not your behavior, how abnormal you might view those behaviors or words in others. That is human nature. You can want to be a snowflake completely impervious to the outside world, a fortress unto yourself but you are a social animal. It's called behavioral conditioning and you can find so many studies you will lose count showing that cultures where media depict images (even when shown as acts from "bad" guys) of sexual violence against women, that real life violence against women also increases. It's not happening because no one tells those boys to rape girls. They're being raised in the same culture, but the stuff they see all the time has a subliminal effect that alters their view of women. Just do some research on behavioral condition, media materials and rape. 1000 char doesn't let me go into nearly the detail I would

• Hmmm I think it would have been badass if she was giving him angry eyes while she strangled him, that would make it look like more of a face off.

I don't think the words on the poster reflect the picture. The words seem like a face off. The picture is someone, who looks afraid, being strangled by a really strong person in heavy armor.

I don't think the ad is supporting violence against women. I just don't think it's a great poster.

I like the villain, he looks cool af. If they could have showed like a face off with him and Mystique, then the words would make more sense and to me, the suspense would be greater (even though all these prequel movies are just a LITTLE predictable on which big character will live and which will not)

• The thing is that billboard is for anyone to see. You're minding your own business and then bam, you see that. It's completely different to going to watch a movie with violence in it of your own volition. I loved the movie but I don't think you should force images like that upon people who don't want to see it. Nobody is saying you can have that violence in the movie, just don't shove it in the faces of people who may have experienced things like domestic violence. I don't think they should put violence on movie posters, it's different when you choose to watch or read something.

• *cant have

• I am sorry that has happened to you, but even you recognize that what happened to you did not happen simply b/c someone saw a movie poster. Violent movies or posters for that matter do not cause men or women to become violent nor do the root in children the seeds later on in life to become violent. They tried to say this was so with the Matrix movies. There are movie posters everywhere with guns and people shooting which could presumably trigger someone who's been a victim of gun violence or who wants to commit suicide, but when does that type of deciding and censorship become a North Korea where an entire government is deciding for you what is and isn't appropriate. If there was concrete evidence that movie violence or poster violence causes someone to do violent things, then you or the world would have a case, but it doesn't. The problems associated w/ violent individuals happen for many reasons but you know this already.

• Oh no, I don't think seeing a movie poster will make someone commit a crime, I am more of the thinking of why should people have to be distressed by these images. I definitely don't think violent movies make violent people, people are already that way.

• <>>>>>>>>

"Only the Strong will survive"

Ironically, only one of those 2 mutants pictured actually survives.

In all seriousness though:
    - These are basically the 2 main characters in the movie (if a movie like that can even have "main" characters)
    - Most of the scenes involving Apocalypse involve him disintegrating people at a distance, so there's not a lot of shots that actually have him in hand-to-hand/close-quarters combat with anyone else.

Point being, there's valid reasons for using this scene to promote the movie.

That actress is clearly one of those people that gives feminism a bad name. Sure, it COULD be interpreted that way (has she even seen the movie?), but this is obviously a case of grasping at straws. If every promo poster showed a male character beating up a female character, then yes, she'd definitely have a point, but ONE poster? Nah.

• Did you know woman are just as violent towards their partners as men? It's because woman aleays assume they can get away with it and police usually assume that the man started it when they arrive. I just learnt that yesterday.

• Lol, I just learnt that yesterday as well. You watched that programme last night didn't you?

• So did I. It is cool that the USA was so interested in our study and they talked about it so strongly over in the USA.

• Also I knew women are pretty much as violent as men before that programme but I did learn other new things about it as well.

• As a woman who has seen and had a fair share of violence I say no because this is a villain in a movie. Last time I checked villains are not nice guys or girls they taunt the hero or heroes. Its just a movie people calm down. These are actors getting paid to act! Not everything is rainbows and unicorns.

• *ahem*

That is not condoneing violence against women. (Plural)
    It is condoneing violence against woman. (Singular)

And with that woman being both fictional and a bit of a bitch (depending on the cartoon/comic/movie you follow) then this advertisement is perfectly okay.

And if you dont know who Raven/Mystique is then you REALLY need to quit living under a rock.

• I know some all over the web have made the argument that the image is like bam, out of context, but there is a giant X-men logo right above it, with a movie date and seeing as how this is film number 10 or something in the franchise, the context to me is pretty clear. Now cut all that away and maybe, just maybe there would be a case, but no, it's just a movie poster.

• God I'm so tired of these offended crybabies. Quit policing and blaming media for every ill of society. Movie posters do not cause violence. Also quit treating women as if we are a special class that needs special protection.

• wtf? the movie has absolutely nothing to do with violence against women. i mean look at what ra did to xavier or the others; he was violent towards anybody who was not on his side so its not gender specific so not sexist or whatever.
    they probably just used a powerful picture and they sure could have used better ones but seeing mutants that could be manipulating and throwing bridges at each other in a simple fight IS interesting.
    so yeah im totally against this ultrafeminist thing though i think we still need feminists.
    and all the people saying she's not a female because she's a mutant: may i remind you that after all x-men are evolved human beings and human beings are (biologically) considered female if they have two x chromosomes/ no y chromosome. and as far as i can tell the mutation didn't change anything about that. just like a woman having a down syndrome isn't less female just because of (guess what) a mutation.

• Nah, they clearly look like superheroes. But it'd be kinda weird if it was just a normal movie, I think.

• Exactly what I thought. What if she was depicted strangling a man or if both were of the same genre? by that logic the shouln't show strangling. then, the movie shouldn't have any violence at all. which then wouldn't be an action movie

• so what about the Simpsons, Homer strangles Bart with his bare hands in almost every episode - does that mean it is promoting violence against children? come on seriously, its just entertainment

• It's a poster for a freakin' movie...
    nothing more nothing less...

o. O

• I don't see how this promotes violence towards women at all. Considering the nature of the movie, I think this poster was fine. They're super beings and regardless of their gender they're going to kick each other's asses. There was no intent to promote violence towards women. These days people are offended by EVERYTHING.

• Hm, I wouldn't think so. People just see it as two enemies in a fictional superhero film.

• More from Girls
    16