Please Donate Your Brain to Science

Many people donate their organs. I'm planning on signing up when I get my license. However, in my eyes, the most important thing I'm going to donate is my brain.

You might not know this but there is a very severe shortage of brain donors. It's a mix of making people squeamish to donate their brain and not wanting to think about it, but they don't realize that we don't just need brains of people with mental illness or neurological diseases. People with mental illness or neurological diseases and their family members tend to donate their brains much more often than anyone else. Normal brains aka Healthy Brains are desperately needed as well. The more brains available the more we can advance medical research.

I get why some people are squeamish about donating their brains. Some people are uncomfortable with the thought of their brain ending up like this:

I can understand that.

I'm first going to go over the reason I am planning on donating my brain. (I'm still deciding where I should donate to actually but I'll do research once I get older. I promised myself I won't do it until after I recover from my current ordeal as it would be too much like having a will set out.)

I was once asked whether or not I had thought about donating my brain after I died, at first I was like hell no. Then that night I really thought about it.

I thought about my own personal spiritual beliefs, I believe that the most important thing is to try and be a decent human being. That is literally the core tenant of my spiritual beliefs. It doesn't matter how much you pray, it doesn't matter if you believe in a deity or not. The only thing that matters in my spiritual views is that I try to be a decent human being. I then thought about my own situation. As many of you know. I struggle with depression and even though at the moment I no longer believe it will end up killing me.

It is still something that I'll always have to deal with. I thought about the days I have where I'd literally cut off my own arm to get rid of depression. It was at this point where I started to feel like I no longer had a choice. I felt and still feel spiritually obligated to donate my brain.

I don't care that after I die they will peel the skin back, cut open my skull, and remove my brain. Why should I? Why should anyone care if that happens to them. I'll be dead, that body won't be me anymore. I'll be somewhere else and at rest.

I'm going to put it this way, If you believe in an afterlife as I do, then it doesn't matter to you what happens to your organs and brain after death because you are somewhere else. You are at rest and with your deceased loved ones. Your body has nothing to do with you anymore let someone else have it.

If you don't believe in an afterlife, then it doesn't matter to you what happens to your organs and brain after death because you are dead and no longer exist. There is no way you are ever going to think or feel again but you can make a difference to those who do.

There is no logical reason not to donate your brain as well as your other organs.

I believe that after I die (hopefully a long time from now.) I will eventually be able to look down at people who suffer from Depression just like I do right now and see them getting more effective medicine and treatment. I will be satisfied knowing that my decision to donate my brain to depression research had some small impact on that. That I helped someone else one last way after my death.

Please everyone donate your brain, it's needed.

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 24

• 7d

As soon as I can be I'm gonna be an organ donor. They can use any and everything they need. Heart, eyes, lungs, brain. Whatever is needed.

• 7d

You actually have to sign up with a brain bank separately
      The organ donor thing is only organs for transplant, they leave things like your brain and eyes as they only get used for research.
      They are compatible though

• 6d

I'm glad but I was just trying to point out that you need to sign up for brain donation seperately

• 6d

Ok? I realize that 😂

• 8d

Um, no. Will not be doing so. But I don't judge anyone who wants to.

• 8d

Yours is actually very much needed.
      With Bi-polar you're could do a lot of good

• 8d

It's just a fear of mine is all. i don't mind donating organs to people who need them, but for some reason, I need my eyes and brain to stay in me.

• 8d

I can get that.

• 8d

I'm planning on donating.
    But I'd rather donate my organs to other people, that way I can help them first hand as opposed to third hand.

• 8d

We need more people like you in this world. Though that smart brain of yours has much more living to do before it makes that final contribution.

The only thing I didn't sign up to donate was my skin and body. My brain they can have if it is still worth anything when I pass.

As a survivor (of several loved ones not cancer) I know the true warmth and comfort it can bring in your time of grief to know that while your loved one is gone 6 other people aren't. 6 great people got to live and you get to hear their stories and it just reminds you how frat the person you just lost was.

And then in the cases of brains and other tissue, the effects aren't immediate but if you live long enough you may get to see that person's contribution take light.

Great post!

• 8d

*great* not frat.

• 4d

I know that barring accidents, this won't happen for hopefully 70 years or so but after I die, I want to look down at the earth and see that even in death I helped at least one person

• 3d

Waffles I'm sure by the end of your life you will have helped dozens of people. But donating you organ or body to science is a great thing. I'm still trying to work out donating my skin. I think the leave it on your visible parts for your funeral so I should probably do that as well. Though we are growing organs and skin now so I need more information.

• 8d

Proud organ donor over here! 🙋

• 8d

Donating anything you will no longer need is just common sense to me.

• 8d

i don't want to

• 12h

goood jobb

• 4d

There's something really creepy about that to me

• 4d

Nope, this is not for me.

• 6d

its such a scary thought, but its such a good thing!
    a brain tho? thats just wow... medicine has come a looonnnnggg way.

• 5d

Why is it scary?
      I'm perfectly fine with it, its not me anymore, just a shell,
      I'll be somewhere else and at peace

• 5d

"what if that person changes bc they don't have their own brain? What if somehow memories r transferred or something crazy?"
      Oh, its not for transplant, its for medical research.
      They examine it and use it to research mental illness and neurological diseases they need mentally ill and neurologically ill brains and healthy brains to use as a control group

• 5d

Omg wow... hahahahaha!!!
      Duh I knew that 😳

• 8d

I want my sexy brain with me

• 8d

for science... i don't know
    but maybe other organs like kidneys to help those who needed it, or heart, maybe yeah
    it's like an investment for the afterlife... helping others even we're died

• 8d

I won't donate y body to science. Give my orgns to people who need them, sure, but I don't want anyone to poke around my body after I'm gone.
    It's because I've seen how the cadavres are treated - with zero respect. I don't know about people who specialize in the brain, of course, but seeing how dead bodies are treated in med schools is reason enough. Sorry not sorry.

• 8d

Brain Donation is just like Organ Donation except it gets used in research.
      Also why does it matter how Cadavers are treated.
      I don't care if my corpse gets horrifically mutilated.
      Its not me anymore, its just a shell

• 8d

I don't belive in souls or any other kind of spirituality, so for me my body is me, not just a shell. I don't want to be lying on that metal table, soaked in formaldehyde, naked, my skin yellow and my flesh grey, being disected and laughed at by disrespectful med students. I wanted to donate my body to science before I saw how it really is. I think you might change your mind if you saw it with your own eyes.

• 8d

But you won't see it, you will just be helping society advance

• 8d

I wouldn't. Especially my brain.

• 4d

But what about people like me, I've got major depression, If I donate, after I die I could help a lot of people who are suffering badly.
      I want to look down after I die and see that even in death I've helped at least one person

• 4d

I know what you mean. Trust me. I just don't like and worry about some parts of it.
      We know already some people are more prone to mental illness regardless, and I'd love them to know exactly why one day to hopefully prevent it, but some parts just don't sit well with me and make me uncomfortable.

• 8d

I'm already an organ donor so ya I'll be donating my brain

• 8d

Nice MyTake :) it's awesome you're bringing awareness to something vital yet overlooked. My school recently did an organ donation drive, I guess you'd call it that. I signed up! :D (again, haha)

• 8d

A natural burial/decomposition is best :)
      I was afraid to donate my eyes,... but guess it makes sense if you don't need them.

• 8d

I know that my body is going to look really gruesome but I don't want a viewing or open casket.
      I like the environment and I want to help people.
      So to me, donation of as much as possible combined with a green burial is the perfect send off to what ever is next

• 8d

I'm a donor but would not donate my body to science. Sorry science 🙈

• 8d

I think that the decision of donating organs is very admirable and altruistic. However, I don't think that not donating organs make you a bad person.

Honestly, it's something that I have never thought about, but I'd be concerned about organ trafficking.

• 8d

No thanks on my end. But good on you for deciding that

• More from Girls
    4

What Guys Said 23

• 8d

Registered organ donor here!

• 8d

I do think more people should donate their organs. You're done with 'em, what's wrong with giving someone still living a shot at living longer? ;)

• 8d

No thanks I don't do that stuff

• 8d

Please donate your Brain

... No it's mine you can't have it !! and I need it.

• 8d

I'm already an organ donor.

• 8d

Once your dead your dead and is there is no returning to life so you may as well help donate your organs or anything else in your body to someone in need. Unfortunately the media has a lot of misconscrewed ideas and spread only the positive side of information about organ transplants. Your immune system can't handle can't handle somebody elses organs that's why people on organ transplants have to be put on immunosuppresents for the rest of their life. Most immuno-suppresents are cortico steroids and they have a lot of terrible side effects there isn't a single one that can't cause holes in your lungs. And all those drugs do are just slow down the inevitable eventually your white blood cells will reject that new organ and you will have to get another organ as everyone's white blood cell is unique and different even if you have a twin.

• 8d

That doesn't always happen

• 8d

The organ failure.
      Its a toss up how long it lasts but it can frequently last 40 or 50 years

• 8d

Never heard of that but still either way those drugs are not fun trust me i've been on them and they all put you at more risk of getting infections since its weakening your immune system.
      I got sick a few times and I never got sick ever since I got my tonsils removed in 7th grade and that was the first time I did after being on methotrexate after a few months. I am happy to see the improvement of medical science though not too long ago they finally have learned how to do limb transplants. They can now take limbs from other people and attach them to amputees and that limb they were given becomes fully functional as well. But even with those they have to take immuno suppressants

• 1h

intreresting

• 7d

I have consider donating organs and stuff, and I don't see a reason not to do it. It would be ironic to be of more use dead than alive lol but still... I'd probably do it.

• 7d

No one's touching my organs to benefit unless I get some money for it

• 7d

Alright,

My grandfather has alzhimers. Maybe for all the bad I've done, I can help someone like him. Give someone a chance that I take for granted.

• 7d

Dood after I'm dead scientists can have a field day I won't need that anymore

• 8d

I don't see why not, i won't be needing my body when i'm dead.

• 8d

From me they can have any part... maybe some university could research my sense of humour hahaha :D

• 8d

Might as well. Not like I'm going to need it.

• 8d

I'll donate organs if it's an attempt to save a life, but that's it. Not donating my brain or my body to science. Ick. lol

• 8d

I might though i didn't know it was a thing.
    I think im on the organ register?
    I know i had the online form at one stage at least.

• 8d

They can do their experiments on criminals. My remains will be burned and put into a biodegradable box with a tree seed in it. The seed will feed on the nutrition that are the ashes of my remains. If my decendants want to visit me they can go into nature instead of going to a graveyard.

• 8d

I'm not even an organ donor, let alone a brain donor.

• 8d

Why on earth not?
      Aren't you catholic?
      Pope John Paul II sums up the position of the Church in these words:

[T]he Gospel of life is to be celebrated above all in daily living, which should be filled with self-giving love for others. . . . Over and above such outstanding moments, there is an everyday heroism, made up of gestures of sharing, big or small, which build up an authentic culture of life. A particularly praiseworthy example of such gestures is the donation of organs, performed in an ethically acceptable manner, with a view to offering a chance of health and even of life itself to the sick who sometimes have no other hope (Evangelium Vitae, no. 86, original emphasis).

• 8d

Don't you think that'd make him angry,
      I had the ability to help my fellow man, my brothers and your children yet I didn't lord because I just wanted to take that stuff to my grave.

• 8d

He'll get over it.

• 8d

I feel like there's no real point to donating a brain. Let's rephrase, I don't think that a normal healthy brain is nearly as useful as doing research on an active brain. like, brain activity mapping on an active brain to see what parts of the brain works when under xyz conditions are way more effective than just dissecting a deteriorated brain. But I'm not a neurologist nor do I actually know what I'm talking about, so... ☺️

• 8d

No, actually control brains are very much needed
      http://www.brainbank.mclean.org/about/

In order to perform research brain disorders, it is vital to collect brains from individuals without brain disorders (controls), which the HBTRC gratefully accepts. Control brains allow us to expand our knowledge of the human brain and to understand what changes occur in people suffering from brain disorders.

• 8d

That's true. I'm just thinking that we know a lot about the anatomy of the brain, but we don't know a lot about the functioning of the brain. So, like, using an active brain and seeing the brain activity work and the neurons fire in a healthy brain vs an autistic 1 is much more effective than looking at static brains. That's all I'm saying... like, we can detect cte in a football player, but we can't see how it gets produced when they're dead. Ya feel me? 😬👍

• More from Guys
    3