Unexplained Things That Happen While We're Asleep

There are a lot of activity in the body that occurs even when we are asleep. No definite reason has been proved for these miraculous phenomena.

Falling Dreams

Almost 90% of people have dreams of falling. Falling in a dream is said to be a warning from your subconscious that something in your life β€” finances, a relationship, career, etc. β€” is rapidly going in the wrong direction. It means it is time to redirect the situation immediately! Falling dreams are very common for people who suffer from depression. Scientists believe that everyone has dreams of falling at some point of their life.

REM Sleep

REM or β€œRapid Eye Movement” are when the eyes move while we are asleep. Most of the eye movements in REM sleep are in fact more rapid than those normally exhibited by waking humans. REM sleep has been closely associated with dreaming, it happens during the deepest part of sleep and is characterized by vivid dreams. People awakened from REM sleep have proved to perform better on tasks like solving anagrams and creative problem solving.

Recurring Dreams/Nightmares

Many people have the same or a similar dream many times, over either a short period of time or their lifetime. Recurring dreams are said to mean there is something in your life you've not acknowledged that is causing stress of some sort. The dream repeats because you have not corrected the problem. Another theory is that people who experience recurring dreams have some sort of trauma in their past they are trying to deal with. In this case, the dreams tend to lessen with time.

Recurring Nightmares are dreams that are so distressing they usually wake us up, at least partially. Nightmares are usually due to strong feelings of fear, sadness or anxiety. Their causes are varied. Some medications cause nightmares (or cause them if you discontinue the medication abruptly). Traumatic events also cause nightmares.

Parasomnia

Parasomnia is a case when our muscles flex involuntarily during sleep. Sleep talking and sleep walking are different types of parasomnia. Sexomnia is an extreme case of parasomnia. Sleep sex or sexomnia refers to any sexual behaviour that happens while the person is asleep of which the person has no memory. This is a parasomnia, where our brain is often confused between weather we are awake or asleep. Often the person might feel that he/she is awake and will know what they doing but have no control over this action.

Bruxism

Bruxism is grinding of teeth during sleep. Regular, persistent teeth grinding can cause jaw pain and discomfort and wears down the teeth. Most cases of teeth grinding (nearly 80%) occur subconsciously during sleep. It can also cause headaches and earache. It is usually associated with contributing factors, such as stress or anxiety.

I personally have experienced recurring nightmares so I thought of making a myTake of the things that occur during sleep. Apart from the above mentioned phenomena there are more unique things that happen like sleep paralysis, exploding head syndrome, slowing down of the kidney functions and many more.

Do share your opinions if you've ever experienced any such phenomena.

410
Sponsored

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 4

• I have thoughts on slaying the snoring man beside me when he wakes me up.. lol jk

• 6d

Whenever I have falling dreams, nothing in my life is going wrong. I tend to not try to explain why things happen. Some things just happen, we don't have to explain everything in the world.

That's just my outlook.

• Oh this is interesting.
    Have you ever done research about Lucid dreaming? It happens to me a lot

• Yeah... That's another cool thing... when you can control your dreams to some extent. I've had that a few times as well (:

• It's awesome XD

• These are almost all very recognisable
    I have a lot of falling dreams but I never knew that was what it meant very interesting tho and I also have the bruxism

• I've never had falling dreams... but I've heard that its quite scaryπŸ˜…

• It is yeah you're lucky

What Guys Said 10

• 7d

Never had a dream about falling. At least not one that I can remember but I have been paying attention for a really long time and I remember most of my dreams.

• Excellent mytake πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ well at least the dreams you mentioned are not just restricted to few people πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• 7d

Whenever I have a dream where I fall (usually I trip or stumble) I always wake up with a fright.

• You forgot to mention the Morning Wood Fairies. Of course you're in league with those cultists!

• you forgot about sleep paralysis. And waking up before your body snaps out of it. Not fun lol

• I didn't enlist all of it. I did mention about sleep paralysis though. There are many other things that happen as well

• Yea fun post
      Reacurring nightmares are no fun though. Eeeek 😬

• I know...

• 4d

I have sleep paralysis
    and i grind my teeth naturally, (habit)

thats crazy so like people can be humping their pillow in their sleep

• 5d

You ever heard of exploding head syndrome?

• Good to see that someone here in interested something scientific.

• 5d
  • 7d

Lately I sleep only 3-4 hours, even if I spend lots of energy AND I feel sleepy during the day. For example today, I slept 3 PM and woke up 7 PM (Here it's 7:10 PM now). Yesterday from 8 PM till 11 PM. But hey, no big deal right? I have the whole Friday Night ahead! But I'm afraid I will miss Saturday Night... waaaah.

• 7d

You NEED sleep!! I had that kind of disturbed routine during my exams... But it does tell upon your health

• 7d

Actually I like it and I never use an alarm clock. Better than having a boring stable schedule. And I feel lucky that it's Friday Night. If it was some Tuesday night for example, I would be fucked up, who goes out on Tuesdays eh?

• 7d

And no I'm not stressful or anything... I don't behave like your typical adult anyway, haha. It has happened randomly a few times during my life before too this weird schedule, for reasons I can't explain. But I embrace it, because as I said... it's more thrilling than waking up the same time every day.