We all have lost or misplaced things. In fact, I just misplaced my phone today. Here are a few tips to prevent you from losing things and finding them faster.
- Make dedicated places. I almost always put my phone either on my bedside table, desk, couch arm, table, or in my pocket. Why did I lose my phone today? I put it on another desk, underneath my wallet.
- If you must put it somewhere within reach of your current activity, put it on a big clean surface. Not among mess or clutter. This will make it easier to find if you forget.
- Pay attention, and take a verbal note. A big reason for misplacing things is being distracted and lack of attention. Mark McDaniel, a psychology professor at Washington University in St. Louis and co-author of "Memory Fitness," says to say out loud, "I'm putting my wallet on the dresser." Don't just mindlessly put it down during a task.
- Keep your place clutter free. This should be obvious, but if you're someone who has has a messy place and also lose things easily, this could be why.
- Look right in front of you. Your hands, head, pockets, chair, etc. Remember that time your sunglasses where right on your head?
- Repeat the name of object to keep your focus.
- Look within 18 inches of where you usually put it. Many times we put items close to the usual place. Look under things, search the spot thoroughly.
- Retrace your steps. Dont start frantically searching everywhere. Stop and think about where you last saw it.
- Sacrifice a goat. Results may vary.
- What was that word? Can't think of that persons name? Stop trying to think of it. It will usualy come to mind in a minute. Or try thinking of related things; What do they look like, how did you meet, etc.
- Get a bluetooth/GPS tracking sticker. The Trackr for example is only the size of a quarter and can be attached to items and works with an app on your phone. It also helps locate stolen items. Click here to check it out!
Hope these help. What are some ridiculous situtaions when you lost something? Do you have any of your own tips?