The Benefits of Driving Slower On The Motorway/Highway

When I first got my car, I was nervous yet excited to go onto the motorway. I liked the idea of having a long stretch of road where you could go fast and get to places quicker. Unfortunately, my car is old and although it can accelerate well and maintain a high speed, it evidently struggles so I had to make the decision to drive at least 10mph (16km/h) slower than the speed limit (70mph), for my car's health. In doing so, I've noticed some benefits that I don't think many have discovered. Everyone around me seems to be in a rush; overtaking everyone, breaking the speed limit and getting impatient with slow vehicles. I'm sure some of you are one of those manic drivers so take some time to read through the benefits of driving slower and give it a try one day!

Cheaper

Driving slower can save you in fuel and may save you money in the long run. Cars require more fuel to accelerate and maintain a high speed. If your car is fairly old like mine and struggles with high speed, it's going to use more fuel so going at a slower speed that your car can manage could reduce your fuel usage.

No Overtaking

Have you ever driven on the motorway/highway and wished that the lane you were on was completely clear ahead of you, so you wouldn't have to overtake all the time? Going slower means you're more likely to have a clear lane ahead of you because most people are going faster than you. Try driving on the motorway/highway without overtaking once on your journey and see what happens!

Safer

The most obvious benefit of going slower is making yourself safer. You'll be able to stop earlier if need be, you're more aware of what's going on around you, you can respond to changes on the road quicker and reduce the chance of you having an accident considerably.

Enjoyable

When you're going faster, you have to pay more attention to the road and trying to get somewhere faster, you barely pay attention to the scenery around you. I've had more enjoyable drives from driving slower due to paying attention to the sounds and sights around me, even seeing things I drive past every day, for the first time because I never noticed them before and feeling the sun shine down on me whilst I enjoy the music. Suddenly the world of driving enriches and you enjoy the moment more, something many of us don't do because we're always too busy. Driving is the one time you can get away from life, people, your responsibility and provides the sense of freedom, so why shouldn't we try to enjoy it more? Sometimes you'll come across people going the same speed as you and others will follow behind you, resulting in a nice, relaxed convoy of cars to form, going along in one lane together.

So, next time you go onto the motorway/highway, consider driving slower than you normally would and you may see and feel the benefits! :)

Hannah591 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• nice and informative hannah

• I would agree with you except for driving slower. I usually chill at the speed limit or 5 over on the interstate in the right or right-middle lane and just cruise. If I drove 10 mph lower than the speed limit I'd waste gas since I'd have to shift from 6th to 5th.

• I don't mean going seriously slower in which you cause a hazard, just slightly slower than other vehicles.

• driving fast is fine.

life is about risk and overcoming it.

however, very few accidents should ever happen, and driver error is key. as an advanced driving instructor, I know and it's sad.

• 1|0
  • To get most out of your fuel, try going at the "max. torque rpm" of your engine at the highest gear. In European standards this usually corresponds to 3000 rpm in a gasoline car, 2000 rpm in a diesel car and a speed between 100 and 110 km/h. If you don't have a lower speed limit to obey, you can go 100 km with only 6.5 lt (around 1.5 gallons) of gasoline (95 octane).

• it depends on what type of slow driving you do, if you keep hitting the brakes then you best know it will be pretty expensive :)
    but good article its cute to see a girl all worried about safety:)

• I don't mean that, just smooth, slower driving but not super slow.

• This only works for so long. 2 hours of it and you will probably be bored and want to get there as soon as possible.

• That's fine but stay on the right lane!! haha stay out of my lane! I drive FAST

• Left lane here in the UK. You're meant to stay in the slowest lane anyway. It's pretty obvious not to drive the slowest in the fast lane.

• Ya left is fast Lane in US, slow on right. Lots of people in the SF bay areaare clueless about that concept

• I was in Oregon state driving where the cops are very strict and the limit is only 65 and my car got 39.8 by the end. It was often but I usually drive the speed limit or 4ish over.

• If you want to drive slow, clog up traffic and create dangerous situations, fuck off the highway and take the country roads.

• You can cause dangerous situations if you drive at about 30mph on the motorway. Driving 60-65mph on a 70mph doesn't cause any problems, it's the same speed as lorries go. If you're going to be aggressive, you can leave myTake.

• Except you can spot a lorry 3 miles away, and you know it's a slow moving vehicle.
      And the more slow moving vehicles there are, the more traffic clogs up.
      It's very clear when encountering convoys, or multiple vehicles with mobile homes or trailers attached.

If everyone drove 70 mph on the highway, we might as well just set the speed limit to 70... and then it wouldn't be a highway.
      By taking the country roads, you'll still have a cheaper, safer and more enjoyable trip, and everyone is better off.

• Interesting take.

Speed limits are maximum allowed speed, that doesn't mean one should drive that fast.

Driving fast makes you too much focused on the centre of road, which makes you lose focus at the side of the road. This phenomenon is 'motion induced blindness'. Jet fighter pilots, race drivers etc are trained for that.

Test,
    Locking eyes (focusing too much) at green dot will make the yellow dot dissappear (out of focus).

www.moillusions.com/.../...ed-Blindness-Effect.gif

• It may take upto a minute of constant focus, at green dot to get the results.

• You forgot the massive toll of everyone hating you and wanting you to get off at the next exit.

I will say that at least in the UK, people pay attention to the fast/slow lanes, so it isn't much of a problem there. But in the US people just pay no attention to that at all, so people will be going to minimum speed on the fast lane.

• I don't recommend that in the US.
      I'm British so I have only that experience.

What Girls Said 4

• Good take :)

• I agree for the most part, but you have to take into mind that driving too slow can be just as dangerous as driving too fast. I'm talking about people driving significantly slower too, not just a mere 5 MPH or so slower. I'm sure you're probably aware of this, but many people don't seem to be, and they cause accidents by driving that slow.
    I usually travel the speed limit, 5 MPH above the speed limit, or maybe 5 MPH below the speed limit if I am in an unfamiliar area and am trying to figure out where my next turn is. Of course, if the conditions are bad, I will drive according to them.
    I commute 170 miles every weekend, and I really enjoy the scenery and just the drive in general. I usually listen to some quiet background music and enjoy myself.

Driving long distances can be nice.

• gears gears gears not brakes brakes brakes will save you money and make you a better driver as you have to plan ahead more.

• Nice take :)