Is self-defense training for girls a waste of time?

IM A WELL BUILT GUY if I wanted to assault a girl no martial art would stop me I know not all guys are built strong like me but even those average sized males would manage to subdue a girl trained in self-defense I recon pepper spray or rape alarms would be a better investment.
So I am asking is self defense a waste of time for girls?

I'm not saying its a complete waste of time sure there are benefits like the exercise or self confidence building but I think in the end of the day weapons are best

Most Helpful Guy

• No its not a waste of time. Self-defense isn't meant for her to be able to whoop a guys ass in 30 seconds. The purpose for those class is to try and give them confidence and utilize the element of surprise on their attacker so they can get away.

When an attacker goes after a women, he usually underestimate her capabilities and believe that she'll do the whole screaming and frozen in fear routine, but when this attacker meets a woman who doesn't do this and instead deliver a swift kick to the groin or a poke in the eye then the attacker becomes the one who is stunned and this gives the woman an enough time to run away or at least enough time to draw her gun, pepper spray or whatever weapon she carries.

What Girls Said 12

• Even if it just gives you confidence, it's not a waste of time time. It's quite well known that criminals looks for easy victims and appearing vulnerable and weak makes an easier victim than a girls who appears strong confident

And from the physical part, I don't know i'm not to sure. The last self defense class I took was in elementary school and it was more about what to do when someone pulls your hair at the schoolyard. They had some handy tricks so. So I would believe that sometimes knowing one of those tricks can be the difference between getting away and getting raped

• Pepper spray is illegal here so that's out for me. I'm more comfortable relying on the years of judo practice I have. I don't think it's a waste of time to learn how to defend yourself. It can only help you, even just a bit.

• I don't know why you're even thinking about assaulting someone though.

• The guy that once tried to rape me has a different opinion now. And I am not even a martial art specialist and he was well built and tall too. He ended up with crushed balls and throat and three broken fingers. But I would be really happy to show you what I did. Then you can test in a life environment.

• No. Because it doesn't matter how well-built you are, you still have a weakness. Namely, your balls. A good kick there and many men are nearly KOed.

On top of that, there are weapons.

• I protect my crown jewels babe

• There's more than one weapon though. All she needs is a good swing to the back of his head or something like that. I doubt many guys truly know how to "defend" themselves. I mean, they typically have more strength, but if a woman is trained to block and move quickly, his strength will only help him so much.

• LOL agreed. There are weapons, balls, and eyeballs. XD

• But why is assaulting a girl even a thought in your head?

• I think self defense for women a scam to hassle them for their money if it worked wouldn't rape stats have gone down dramatically?

• @RationalLioness there are more than you think and women are the fastest growing group applying for new carry permits for handguns

• That's good then.

• Heck No. There are a lot of rapist, pedophiles and all matter of crazies out there and I think every girl should know how to protect herself. that would be great!

• You are scary

• The girl would probably punch you in the face and then run away. It's as easy as that. There is no need for anyone to take self defense classes

• I would love to see you get totally owned by a girl who knows martial arts. If you think your size and strength will defeat anyone smaller then you are a fool.

• It's good to know how to fight but I agree weapons are better

• Not if you regularly fight with 'built' guys, you learn many things from them. It isn't always about strength it's about how and where you hit the person.
    Sometimes, even seemingly 'weak' girls can beat 'strong' guys -rolls eyes-

• "A Russian man who tried to rob a hair salon got more than what he had bargained for when the female shop owner, a karate black belt, overpowered him, stripped him naked, and for the next three days, used him as a sex slave to 'teach him a lesson' - force feeding him Viagra to keep the lesson going.

Viktor Jasinski, 32, admitted to police that he had gone to the salon in Meshchovsk, Russia, with the intention of robbing it, reports the Daily Mail.

But the tables were turned dramatically when he found himself overcome by owner Olga Zajac, 28, who happened to be a black belt in karate.

She allegedly floored the would-be robber with a single kick.

Then, in a scene reminiscent of Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction, police say Zajac dragged the semi-conscious Jasinski to a back room of the salon and tied him up with a hair dryer cable.

She fed him Viagra and had sex with him for three days before releasing him, telling him that he'd "learned his lesson."

Jasinski went straight to the police and told them of his back-room ordeal, saying that he had been held hostage, handcufffed naked to a radiator, and fed nothing but Viagra.

When police arrived to question Zahjac, she said: 'What a bastard. Yes, we had sex a couple of times. But I bought him new jeans, gave him food and even gave him 1,000 roubles when he left." " - news.yahoo.com/...sex-slave-feeding-074453043.html
    www.dailymail.co.uk/.../...ve-days-fed-Viagra.html

• There are odd stories here and there

• It just proves that a woman who knows how to defend herself can and will use it when threatened and will be successful at it.

What Guys Said 15

• That is simply not true, I've trained with Champion level women fighters, one of them being so strong she can knock a man out with a simple punch to the gut, and if that doesn't work, she'll simply beat you until you lose conscious. Overconfidence is not a good trait and will be your down fall, also there are several things a women can do to stop you, for one if your strangling her, she can grab and twist the nerves under your biceps which will force you to let go, no matter how strong you are. I know about a half dozen fighters who could take yo down both male and female, but for beginners yes weapons are best for self defense.

• I think you really underestimate self defence training and women. It really is not all about strength. Certain self defence forms are designed to get you out of any situation as fast as possible no matter how strong or big your attacker may be. Krav Maga, the greatest form of self-defence on earth (hands down) is one of these.

I've seen krav maga's highest ranked woman doing full contact. And trust me, you would get nowhere near her in an attack. I've seen her take 4-5 full grown, well-built men like it was nothing. Yea sure, she is the highest in the world, but women training for self defence is certainly not a waste of time.

A girl I knew had been doing kick boxing for just over a year and one night when she was leaving a bar a man went to grab her. She described him as "a big guy". She twisted his arm, punched him, kicked him in the groin and then swept his feet from underneath him. She stood a distance away and called the cops. And they got the guy.

I also heard a story about a counter woman who was working on her own as a man entered the shop and tried to make her give him the money in the cashier. Little did he know she was a black belt in karate and she kicked the shit into him. He sat there on the floor as she watched over him until the police arrived.

A body builder is incredibly strong and well built but seasoned Thai boxer would beat him no problem. It really is not all about strength.

Never underestimate women, skill, or self defence.

• Oh I wasn't sure if the last part of the last part of the black belt story was correct so I left it out. But I see an anon girl has the full story. It's the one about how she kept him as a sex slave. Epic stuff :)

• short answer: its not.

• basically u r understimatin gals' strength bro

• If we're speaking about pure averages then yes you kind of have a point but things do happen and smaller people can land a lucky hit on bigger people. Martial arts doesn't guarantee that that will happen but it increases the chance of it happening.

• Try it. I'll be there to point and laugh while you're on the ground squealing for an ambulance.

No matter how built you are, you're going down for the count if they hit you right. One quick kick, and a fellow'd be too preoccupied with trying to slip his kneecap back around to the front side of his leg to attempt any further pursuit. And that's if they're only interested in stopping you, without taking the time to do more damage.

• I would favour teaching self defence and how to use weapons.

• Self defense not only teaches you how to defend yourself, it also boosts your confidence, so I'd say yes, it's definitely something worth doing.

• I'm talking about purely from a self defens stand point

• You arte so wrong. I know women who could take you apart without batting an eye. But facing a man alone and if he has a weapon? A girl should have a gun. There is no substitute for a real weapon.

• As the ask a ninja guy one said, "A baby with two heads can eat more than the baby with one."

• Why would you think about wanting to assault a women let alone actually do it?

• Did you mean to sound like a douchebag when writing this?

• I forgot I had caps lock in the beginning if you referring to my self description

• Not every guy is as strong as you, but I agree that weapons are better choices.

• All guys have balls no matter how well built... I want you to take a roundhouse kick to your balls and still try to assault a girl

• What if she was one of the women that wear steel toed boots, I bet the asker would not feel good getting a kick in the balls then.

• Most of them are, Gracie jui jitsu might be the only exception in that they'd have a chance, but it's only a chance.