Is there actually any 'Painless' ways to die?

So, Is there actually any way of death that involves no pain? Or is all death painful? If there is a painless way, What is it?

Just curious is all.

Most Helpful Girl

• I will share a little experience with you. Obviously, I am not dead, but I was supposed to be at one point. I had gotten in a bad car accident and no one suspected I would survive it. During that night, the first things i remember when waking up here and there was peace. I felt no pain and I didn't really care what was going on. One time during that I felt pain, oddly enough, when the pain meds were in me I could feel the pain because I was intolerant to the medication, when they got all pain meds out of my system, I felt no pain again. The moment I was supposed to die, I woke up briefly though. The heart monitor was inconsistent, I was bleeding profusely from the head, my eye was out of its socket, my brain exposed, my skull shattered, body mangled, and I felt no pain other than the look on my mother's face emotionally hurt me. Three days later, I woke up in extreme pain and they told me I would probably survive. Dying didn't hurt at all, it was very calming. Fighting back to life was the most painful thing I could ever imagine. I hope for everyone, when their time comes, it was as peaceful as it was for me.

• Oh man, I wish i could be as so fortunate.
      So, Perhaps a high speed car collision would be a good, painless death?

• I mean, I wouldn't endanger anyone else, Like, i would do it somewhere noone was, Perhaps off a small cliffside or something, I would never want to harm anyone else in the process.

• I think you might want to contact a suicide hotline..

What Girls Said 11

• Well, there was a rare case this young traveller from Australia died after being confronted with a few thugs at knife point. They didn't touch him but he died of shock as he overproduced too much adrenaline from being put in life threatening situation. R. i. p.

• Oh shit, I doubt thats something which can be recreated tho?

• Someone is suicidal ehhhh

• No. I am just curious as to the ways in which a person can die.

• If you're asleep, and your body suddenly "shuts down.." hmmm you'd prob still know. I don't know then XD if you were on life support and then taken off of it, you wouldn't feel it.
    I hope this is simply for curiosity...

• What can cause one to be on life support in the first place tho?

• Curiosity.
      Dont worry about it :)

• Okay, I'm holding you for your word though!!

• i dont know.. death by embarrassment?

• I could think of nothing more barbaric :/.

• Slipping away in your sleep, I imagine, is quite peaceful...

• But what would cause you to die in your sleep?

• Old age.. happens all the time. Peoples vitals just shut down in their sleep and off they go.

• Well shit, Im a very long way away from old age -_-

• Dying in your sleep probably.

"Just curious," I feel bad that you're trying to plan your own suicide.

• What would actually cause you to die in your sleep though? And not planning my suicide, like i said, im just curious as to the ways.

• 😕 Yeah that definitely doesn't make me feel better lol.

• Ha, No but seriously. Don't worry about it.
      Everything works out for the best in the end.

• Why did you ask?

• Im just curious, I was thinking about, like, all the main ways a person could die, and they all seemed rather painful, so. i was wondering if there was any method that didn't hurt ya know? Or perhaps one that didn't hurt as much as the others.

• Eh, Just 'old age', Gotta long way to go until im there :/.

• Shut up, boy! 😒😒😒 You're so young, you shouldn't even be thinking about this! I know life gets difficult sometimes. Tough times will pass... So, just stop :/

• I haven't heard of any since in my little knowledge I haven't known a experimental study where people try ways to kill theirselves and rise from the dead to prove that there is really a painless way to die. 🙈

• I think overdosing on a medication

• No, I tried that a couple years ago, Easily the worst pain i have ever experienced in my life. It felt like my stomach was on fire.

• oh then anything instantly

• Lethal injection I would imagine.

• Mhmm, Fair enough. I would imagine they are nearly impossible to get your hands on, but yeah, good point.

• No, lethal injection can go wrong and it becomes very painful if it does

• Lethal injection generally isn't quick and peaceful. You feel your organs shut down and I believe it even puts you into cardiac arrest.

• Passing away in your sleep is the only way I know of to die painlessly. Every other way - overdose, fatal car crash, hanging, shooting, cutting wrists, drowning - result in you either bleeding out or feeling your body's organs shut down.

Actually, dying on the table during surgery would likely be painless as you'd be under anaesthesia but your organs would shut down anyways...

• Mhmm, But, I would imagine the thing that caused you to die in your sleep would be painful on its own right?

Besides, if they are all painful, which is the LEAST painful do ya wreckon?

• All the people at work are at least over 27 or 28. And they all treat me like shit because im just the young clueless guy..
      Its not as easy as just making friends really, I mean... I've never had one before, so i wouldn't even know what do or say let alone how to find one.
      Is there a good way to make friends or something? sorry if this sounds stupid as fuck, but yeah. I've never had to do it before :/.

• That's okay, everyone needs help making friends at one point or another. I think the best way is to smile at people at work or at the library or on the bus or just standing in line somewhere and see who smiles back. If they do, you can compliment them on (or ask them about) something they're wearing/reading/drinking/eating/doing - the key is to get them to talk about themselves first. That way, if they say something you agree with, like how they hate work, you can be like, "I know, mate - work sucks. My job's rubbish too. So what's your name?"

It can be difficult to find someone like that in person if you don't get out much, but I bet you could find a GAG user who has similar issues and interests to you. Post a question asking who else out there is depressed/fed up with their life and wants to talk about it with a new friend and see what kind of responses you get.

• Suffocation, I guess.

• Would the lack of oxygen not hurt?

• I wouldn't say it's painless, but probably extremely uncomfortable.

• Well, it says a person goes to sleep without waking up, unknowing and painlessly. I don't know since I've never tried it, and you shouldn't either @asker!

What Guys Said 18

• yep, stand at the center of a nuclear blast. you won't feel a thing nor will there be any remains.

• I don' really think its as easy as 'obtaining' a nuclear bomb and detonating it somewhere ya know?

• you were only curious after all ;)

• Fair enough, Thanks for the idea anyway ;)

• There is a painless method of suicide but obviously I can't tell you about it because I'd have to delete my own post afterwards, being a mod ;-). As for natural death... I'd say dying in your sleep is pretty painless. That's at least how I wanna die one day.

• Mhmm, But i would imagine the thing what caused your sleep death would be painful in its own right?

• Oh wow.

What sort of things can cause or trigger a stroke? Like is it something a human being could self induce? or is it just something that happens?

• I guess you could self-induce it on a long term scale but it's not something you could use to commit suicide. A stroke (or apoplexy as it is called in medical terms) is something that mainly happens to elderly people, though it can, as I told you, also happen to 40 or even 30 year olds. The causes of a stroke all related to an unhealthy lifestyle. The most dangerous thing is a high blood pressure. Having a decent blood pressure (not too high) alone will reduce your risk of a stroke by 60-65%. Furthermore, smoking, high blood sugar, overweight, lack of physical activity, overconsumption of alcohol over several decades, high cholesterol etc. are all factors that can lead to a stroke. But it's also partially a genetic thing. If you're grandparents and parents suffered strokes (not all strokes kill you, there are also weak ones that may or may not have any negative consequences), it likely that you will suffer one too.

• shoot off yer brains... instant death!
    but keep in mind wot pain u'll cause to everyone u'd leave behind who care bout u... painless for u, painful for 'em

but y u wanna die anyway? please stop...

• Like i said dude, im just curious as to the options, dont worry about it.

• ok glad to hear this :D

• If done properly a medication overdose is very painless.

• Mhmm, In 2 weeks time i would have tried a Med OD exactly a year ago. And i can tell you it was anything but painless. Literally felt like my insides were melting :/.

• Congratulations on doing it wrong. :)

• Single greatest regret of my life :(

• Anything that is very very quick or where you are unconscious should be painless. For example, shotgun to the head and lethal injections, respectively.

• Yeah but, If you fuck them up... my god... would be hell.

• Being shot in the head with a gun kills you instantly, you feel nothing. It is considered an ethical way to be killed, although it is messy.

• Mhmm, Sadly there are no firearms easy to come by in the UK.

• Well, dying in your sleep.
    An explosion to the brain, maybe because there is no pain receptors there and it would be quick.

• Mhmmm, Pretty hard to achieve though, A clean detonation to the brain :/.

• Oooooh! You want commit suicide.
      Shit, you should of said, man. I don't want to be responsible for your death.

• Nah, I don't.

Don't worry about it buddy. You aren't responsible for anything ;)

• Asphyxiation from Inert Gas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPhH4nha4QA

• Sounds complex and extremely expensive :/.

• jump off a at least 10 storey building. That should be instant death, but make sure you land head first

• Oh man, that would be a horrible experience.

• it'll probably only take 3 seconds at most to land on the pavement.

• I bet those would be some serously horrific 3 seconds tho :/.

• Never died so wouldn't know. Have nearly done it a couple of time in racing accidents but not succeeded so can't be much help. Living is much more fun though

• If living is more fun then death. Then this putrid form of existance is unbearable, I was hoping death to finally provide some comfort.

• I promise you it only gets better as you get older. Live each day and make it the best day yet. Live to make a difference to someone every day and be positive... Death is just a cop out and doesn't solve anything

• you said you were just curious.. but this sounds more of a personal thing.. @asker

• Bullet to head? Lethal injection

• Mhmm, Sadly neither are legal or easy to come by in the UK.

• Any instantaneous death

• An extremely quick decapitation might work.

• Would the severing of the spine not hurt for a few seconds until your brain starved of oxygen and blood?

• Good point

• Electrocution, and I've been electrocuted before by accident, there was absolutely no pain. Also drowning.

• Surely would it not burn you to death? I have watched lots of videos of shock death and it dosent look oh so pleasent :/.

• Clean break of the neck

• But if you fuck it up... fuck that will be utter agony.

• Thats true for most way that a person can die at another's hand

• The answer to your question is known only to the dead.

• Mhmm, but surely people who have been recovered / survived these things would know right?

• Yes, try to ask those who have experienced clinical death.

• You're not just curious seeing you've had a past of trying to commit suicide. So i won't take part in feeding your mind with other ways to try.

• Im just curious mate is all.

• Sorry, im not the type to risk these sort of things. I am glad you've gotten better and hope you're life has turned around for you.

• Well. Not really, its actually a good x50 times worse now then it was then, but, still, im just curious is all, nothing more.

• Lots of them. They all involve a hospital and a lot of anesthetic or old age and a bad heart.

• Can a 'bad heart' be self induced some how?

• Well at 52, I would say you then would have missed out on, by FAR, the best that life has to offer.

• Eh, Life isn't going to get much better then it is now mate. I have noone to blame but myself, My actions have put consequences on me that i have to live with, And im afraid they are not consequences i feel as though i could bare for a lifetime. Let alone another year. This is it for me im afraid dude, Shits only gonna get worse from hear on out.
      Though, I do appreciate talking to you, it means a lot to have someone with such life experience tell me about that stuff. thank you.