What does ''Cute'' mean?

So, This is likely just a cultural difference or something, but i see it often enough on here and it confuses me, Like.

When a guy puts a picture up, And he looks good with ripped abs and shit, I notice girls will say things like ''He looks Cute'' or ''so cute!!''... Like, They say ''Cute'' as if it means ''Hot''.

Whereas, In Britain, I would consider ''Cute'' to be something like this :

What does ''Cute'' mean ?

It seems to me,
Like when Americans say ''Cute'' they mean ''He/She is so hot!!''
And when British peoplesay ''Cute'' they mean ''Omg!! Its so fluffy and adorable!!!''

Anyone else noticed this?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I've asked that question to a friend before and she saud someone who has an innocent/docile/timid look would be considered cute. Someone who is hot is attractive more in a sexual way.

What Girls Said 9

• hmm.. yeah cute are use excessively. But when it comes to guys, my friends and I usually say "he's cute" when he is ATTRACTIVE or like he has a baby face. "He's hot" referring to APPEAL. So when a man is half naked and some girls say cute instead of hot then they are referring to looks. It's like saying charming and beautiful. They are both attractive but can be used interchangeably. Girls get it right away when another girl says that, but boys don't. lol

• Yeah, I've noticed :) Here in Britain we'd probably say that something was hot instead of cute, right? Unless they've got a baby face or something, or there's something about them that's adorable :)

• Exactly!!, I would call like Kittens or babies 'cute', so i find it REALLY fuckin weird when girls call really hot guys *no homo* with abs and stuff ''cute'' its like... wtf... he's a grown ass man not a fluffy cat xD

• LOL @ fluffy and adorable. 😂😂
    Well, If a guy has soft facial feature, I call him cute

If a guy has strong facial feature, I call good looking. Both are compliments 😂😂

Anddddd if a guy is fit and attractive... Oh and shirtless I usually say "He's so attractive!!" Or "He's very good looking!"

• Cute to me is like adorable and sweet and huggable. But sometimes if a guy is hot, I'll tell him he's cute, good-looking, or attractive. I'm just to shy to say 'youre hot' or sexy. It makes me feel weird

• People used words in the wrong way all the time and Americans usually use the word cute for just about everything 😂

• To me, "he's cute" means I just wanna snuggle him or buy him an ice cream cone or something. "Cute" is like aww or it means that they look good. Not necessarily like "get in my bed, I wanna frick frack" but they're not ugly. He's so hot is definitely more a term meaning "You, Me, My bed. Now."

• For me cute is sort of adorable

• Not to burst your special snowflake bubble, but cute can mean literally anything. Guy I think is attractive? Cute. Adorable dog? Cute. Nice decor? Cute. Adorable child? Cute. Fluffy teddy bear? Cute. Literally anything that sparks my interest? Cute.

• That was a needlessly aggressive response you gave him.

• @RexCatholicissimus

My thought exactly :/. ''Not to burst your special snowflake bubble''.. I was just asking an innocent question? But... okay then... I didn't really deserve that one but whatever.

• Really, aggressive? Hardly. Jesus, how babied are you?

• To me cute means adorable or sweet looking, hot is different. :)

What Guys Said 6

• Cute means "lindo" in Spanish, and in Spain we only use that for kids and animals, therefore when someone says I'm cute I don't take it too much as a compliment, I assume they see me as a kid or something.
    But like you said, I've seen girls say to a hot guy that he's cute, so now I get confussed.
    I do call girls cute and it means she has a pretty adorable face, with a friendly and nice vibe. She may have a hot body but if he face is pretty and adorable, I'll call her cute.
    For me, when I call a girl cute, it's better than hot.

• Yup, ! When i see girls call guys cute im like ''wtf, Did you just say a grown ass man with abs and shit looks like a baby?''

Its confusing as fuck xD

• Exactly, and it's even more confusing when theysay it to you xD

• I'm a Britbong myself m8 though I use cute in reference to the way a girl looks, every now and again.

I guess if I "really" wanted to dissect it and get all technical, I'd probably say it depending on how youthful or happy-looking that girl may appear, whereas "hot" is more like fuckin' Jeri Ryan when she was in Voyager god damn it Jeri Ryan.

This is "cute" in a girl, to me:

blog-imgs-75.fc2.com/.../6Rdfucqs.jpg

Though does it mean I'm not sexually attracted to them despite not being "hot"? Absolutely not, cute is basically just another descriptor for saying "you're sexually attractive to me, I would want to go out with you."

• pretty + endearing

• Actually, dumb people say cute and mean hot,
    normal people say cute and mean... well, cute, adorable, whatever.

• Here it can mean either, as far as *I* can tell...

• I don't know it can apply to fat kids too, like sometimes when I pick on them girls are like " oh don't do that he's cute". I don't see what's cute about obesity!