Can white people experience racism?

I have had people tell me that blacks can't be racist since they are oppressed and that whites can't experience racism because they are privileged. I honestly think that's the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

Most Helpful Guy

• Blacks can not be racsit what can a black person say or do that will hurt a white person?( I need a answer)

Now black and other minority can be prejudices but racist no.

To be racist mean that u you think u are better than the other race.

Most black people feel inferior to white people secretly.(KEY WORD IS MOST NOT ALL ) SO IN return they that inferiority turn into hate or dislike or saying harsh things or sadness.

Now what white person feels inferior to black people. ( I want a answer) like really what white person is saying I feel less than that black guy over there.

So Blacks can be prejudice just not racist

Most Helpful Girl

• I've had people call me race-based derogatory names.
    I've had people assume things about me because of my skin color and how I talk.
    I've had a coworker harass me because of my skin color and background.
    I've been pulled over my an officer of a different color who thought I looked out of place in his area and thought I was buying drugs.
    I've had a professor say hateful things about my race in class.

I'm white. I grew up poor and rough. I try to love everyone and educate myself as much as possible.

What Guys Said 30

• Yeah all they have to do is make themselves a minority via moving in the hood and you can bet your ass that plenty of people are going to try to test them LOL.

• Best definition I know of "racism" is a negative prejudice toward someone based only on their race. And yes, white people can experience that. I have. Everyone of every race does experience it at one time or another, I'm sure, at least if they occasionally travel outside their own ethnic community.

• Sure, it happens all the time. Unfortunately, there has been so much racism targeted at blacks, that blacks expect it from lots of white people - that's a form of racism. As a middle-aged white guy, I have to expect that lots of black folks will think that I am racist, so I go out of my way whenever possible to assuage their fears (like freely admit that I voted for Obama twice).

• I remember during 9/11 in school that it was a black guy rather than a white guy who said "look what your country is doing to ours" even though I'm ethnically Indian. Didn't have any white person give me shit during that period. And I've seen blacks call whites crackers all the time.

• I'm glad you recognize how stupid that bastardized concept of privilege is. Because all racism is is when someone thinks a person or a type of people are inherently worth more, or worth less, than other types of people, based on nothing but race.
    And I have experienced, first hand, some pretty extreme, though non-violent, hatred, from black people, aimed at me for no reason other than me being white.

• Irish whites were particularly disliked in the United States up until the late 20th century. In some places you could get a job as long as you were any race other than Irish.
    http://rjensen.people.uic.edu/~irish.gif

• Thats not the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But its not something an educated or experienced person said.

Try being a white working in Hawaii. You'll experience some of the finest white racism there is.

• Yes, we can experience racism. And blacks were oppressed, but aren't anymore.

• Certainly, though in predominantly white nations they will not experience it on the scale and scope that minorities do.

• That's BS. Try walking around downtown Atlanta sometime in your life. Hell I live near Boston and just have to go to the Blue Hills Ave area or anywhere where your in a black neighborhood standing out like a sore thumb.

• My dear, Google South Africa and the whites. We are victims of so much racism it's actually a joke. Google farm murders in South Africa and Zimbabwe. Google work policies in South Africa. A black man in a 1st world is a prince compared to a white man in South Africa. The whites have money in South Africa because if we didn't, we would die out. So all of us do our best to out do everyone. It's one reason why we are know as "arrogant" because we don't take shit in the business world.

• I was walking down the hood and a couple of jacked buff black dudes came up and started saying "look at this whitey"
    It took me a while to convince them that I was a nigga. Had to call @mistnigqa808

• Of course they can, it all depends where they are, and the people they're with I suppose.

• everyone can experience racism.

• I don't want to answer this... yes, blacks can be rascist, and people who claim they can't are ridiculously retarded.

• It absolutely is! Ever see a black movie? I mean if a white movie said some of those things it would be the end of the world! The day a black president was elected was the day black people lost that argument!

• Racism is systemic oppression. We can experience prejudice on an individual level from other individuals.

• yes, cuz racism is hating soemone becauese of there race, so yes they can have people be racist against them

• Hell yes!! Its everywhere lately! Just cuz im white im a racist? Thats the prob in this world. Its stupid also. If people would just understand there is a culture clash.. skin color isn't the prob.

• of course we can

• Yes they can I seen it

• Thats stupid. Racism is hating someone for their skin color. Sadly, everyone and anyone can do that.

• Anyone can experience racism or be racist.

• I think that it does exist but it isn't taken as serious as it would with other races.

• what you mean us cracka ass, honkey spooks?

Nah never : D

• racism? nah, prejudice? of course

• It's stupid. Anytime you attack, mock, or ridicule someone because of their race, that's racism. Nobody chooses what race they are born as, nobody belongs judging anyone because of it.

Martin Luther King Jr said his dream would be that people were not judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. Blacks and PC liberals these days have thrown that philosophy out the window.

• Yes they can. It's called Leftism.

• Yeah I hate that just because your black doesn't mean you can't be racist being racist is when you discriminate and put down another race it isn't right I don't care who you are you

• Of course we can if we are in the wrong neighborhood , happens to any race actually

What Girls Said 20

• Black people are no longer oppressed. Yes they have some inequalities but not enough to claim oppression. Caucasian people are a race so yes indeed we can experience racism. Claiming me can't due to our skin colour is racist in itself

• Being half German I can't believe how many people assumed I was a Nazi? I'm as liberal as they get lol. I do not appreciate the racism from people (including) other whites who think, ask, assume, or whatever that I am some sort of Nazi. For one, I'm an American, and grew up around diversity, very happy to be around lots of differents kinds of people, except for the ignorant ones.

• bigotry is not, and has never been, exclusively white.
    racists (and other idiots) come in all colours, unfortunately.

• anyone can...
    lol so many people are really good at talking bullshit.

• yes they can!

• LOL i love how black people say they were oppressed. thats all you hear from them today. did you also know that jewish people are a double minority? they aren't supposed to exist today? theyre the ones that were oppressed, you dont hear them complaining...

• Not in America at this time. Racism is an institution where one group OPRESSES another racial group. It is not one black person talking crap about a white person. White people in America control most of politics and the media, and are therefore in a position of power to oppress racial minorities. I'm not saying that all media, politicians and white people are racist, I'm just saying they are the only ones that have the power to be.
    Reverse racism is not real. Also I'm white.

• Who made up that fake definition? That's not the definition of racism

• Of course reverse racism doesn't exist and yes white people can experience racism and black people can be racist, however I will go out on a limb and say that we as white people experience racism far less than black or Hispanic people

• Racism works all ways. If a person of another race were to insult a white person with some comment about being white, then they are being racist.

• A race to see who is the Survivalist of the fittest

• I grew up in BC Canada and there are a lot of Indians and Asians here. And a lot of them are wealthy as they are quite business savvy and motivated to do well in university. They make fun of the lower income white people like myself and call us "white trash".

• Yeah I've heard people say that too. It sounds ridiculous. Anyone can be racist.

• I'm white and I've had people be racist to me.. that's real bullshit

• Yes they absolutely can.

• omg yes. I used to live on the rez and I was the only white kid last year in my grade and I got made fun of allll the time

• Yes, anyone can experience it. It might depend on where they go.

• I've never met a black person who doesn't like a white person. We love em! A lot lol! But some white people are still stuck in the old times they don't like us

• That's utter bullshit, blacks are racist towards whites but nobody says anything because "they were oppressed". Like get over it and stop playing the victims.

• Not really but there are personal limitation, but no racism

• I agree, thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Every race experiences some form of racism.

• no they can't