Is saying "Have a good life" considered rude?

So, this chick I work with ended up leaving today. She had my back in a couple of things that happened. I liked her. She was cool. So, she ended up quitting, and as she was walking out the door, I said "Have a good life, -----." A couple other coworkers were like "that was pretty rude." I got somewhat flustered, saying "that's not what I meant." My intention was exactly what the words meant, "Have a good life." She would cease to exist in my world, so I meant to wish her a good life. I'm pretty sure my tone wasn't rude or anything. I don't think. Like I said, I didn't have any animosity towards her, at all; but, somehow my coworkers saw it as rude. Like I was saying it sarcastically.

So, was I rude?

• Rude
  • Not rude

Most Helpful Girl

• Usually when people say that, they do mean to be sarcastic and it does sound rude. After you explaining it I get what you're saying now. Maybe just send her a text if you're still keeping in touch. If not, don't worry and just explain what you meant to your co workers.

• I don't have her number. -.-;; I explained it to them. I've heard "have a nice life" used mostly sarcastically, but I didn't think "have a good life" was the same. >.<

• Yeah true. I wouldn't worry about it, although I'm sure you're not. Thanks for the mh 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• these days you could tell someone their shoelaces are untied and they would get offended so some would probably consider that rude

What Girls Said 8

• If you and her had no bad blood , and your tone wasn't aggressive I am sure she didn't consider it rude.

• I wouldn't think that as rude as long as it's said in a genuine tone, and not sarcastically (I doubt you said it like that though).
    I don't understand why they were being so petty, clearly you were parting ways and not planning on seeing each other again. I don't think you can say anything that's more appropriate than "Have a good life".

• I think it highly depends on the way you said it. If you said it in a sarcastic tone, then yeah it might accidentally come off as rude. I'm sure she didn't take it offensively though. Don't dwell on it; if you had an amicable relationship with her beforehand, I'm sure she won't have construed it negatively.

• It could sound rude depending on your tone of voice but there's nothing rude about saying it in your situation.

• You may have not meant to make it sound that way, but it is mostly considered a rude statement by most. I get what you're saying though, how you meant to say it, and that was nice of you, but others don't always perceive it that way.

• Not rude at all. But maybe it was your intonation.

• I can see how they would think it was rude but it made lol tho.

• The expression isn't rude, but maybe the intonation was.

• They said it was rude because of the words though. They said it was close to "have a nice life," something that people say when they're being sarcastic. Like, "have a nice life" is just a sarcastic phrase no matter what way you say it.

What Guys Said 3

• It depends on your tone and relationship. If you were sincere, then it's not rude at all. One of my coworkers said that to me when I left my last job.

• It is almost always used as sarcasm so it is always taken as rude

• It's usually all about intonation.