Do most girls dislike "handsome" guys?

From what I hear, I'm pretty handsome. I've had gay guys hit on me, and girls tell me how attractive I am. But at college girls act almost afraid to look at me or talk to me. Even the really attractive girls that you think wouldn't be shy act this way. This would be fine, but the problem is that I'm shy too. I probably look stuck up and arrogant but I'm not really this way. How do I get girls to talk to me or even look at me for the matter. How do I let them know that's it's OK and I won't bite lol

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, most handsome guys are not shy and humble but very confident and expect the girls to adore them for how awesome they are...I've met some like this and since then I'm kinda suspicious when a handsome guy hits on me, because I think that he just wants an ego-boost or a groupie or whatever.

Also there's the image of handsome guys being gay most of the time, which is not true, but you never know beforehand, of course.

And yeah, there's the competition issue, many girls think that a handsome guy can have any girl so naturally being not very self-confident they think that they have no chance.

Oh, I guess it sucks being an handsome guy - but there must be some girls around you can ask out, or? I don't think they'll turn you down, if you approach them. Because let's face it, it's really hard for a girl to turn down a handsome guy...we're all suckers for beauty.

GAG Video of the Day

Would you date someone younger/older/married?

What Girls Said 22

• I don't think most girls dislike handsome guys. I think it's more about if we've been in crappy situations where we felt like guys played with our feelings, and he so happened to be handsome and able to get other girls. Maybe by the time girls get to college, we're scared of being played again like in high school. In other words, aversion and fear of past experiences. I think if you try making friends, without an agenda in mind of dating these girls, it will - for one - help you overcome your shyness and feel more comfortable opening up to them, and two, let them let down their guard around you and see you as the good person you are. It's easier to date someone when you know them a little first.

• They're just intimidated lol! I'm sure if you made the first move they'd definitely loosen up a bit. Act open and friendly! It'll show to them that you're not uptight or against any communication...they probably think that you'll ignore them or look at them weirdly if they initiate anything.

• We assume you're so into your looks that you don't see past your nose. And that you're dumb.

Smiling always helps. But not that one sided grin like you're all that. The huge teeth showing smile that says: "Hi. I'm _________(your name here)".

• i love hott guys the thing is tho a lot of them are egotistical which is a turn off and quite a few of them are not smart (I guess its because they rely on their looks to get ahead). part of the reason you may be looked past tho is because it is intimidating to b with a guy that looks better than you...always in the back of your head you ask yourself am I good enough for him? in addition to that, attractive men can usually get any girl that he wants and no girl wants to go through the drama of having a cheating boyfriend or a man that evry girl wants to try to steal from her..trust me its annoying to get up to use the bathroom at a restaurant or outing just to return to a girl/girls trying to pick up your date.

• It's that stereotype that is hurting me. I'm not stuck up and I can't get any girl I want because I'm very shy. What am I supposed to do? There are at least two girls who I never talked to that I know are attracted to me but I can't get up the courage to talk to them. :(

• Because your shy and probably wouldn't know what to say its best if you first smile at one of them and when she smiles back go sit next to her...she'll probably tty at this point ...wait where do you kno these girls from?

• Hell no I love me a big Ole hunk of man!

More from Girls
17

What Guys Said 11

• I seem to be stuck in the same boat... I've been told to be good looking and handsome and cute and stuff, mostly by older women from mid 20s to older... but yeah I feel the same way as you. I'm a little on the shy side too.

Idk what's with girls my age tho. It's like younger girls seem interested every so often, or just average to below average girls. Then older women generally act interested in me as a person and are very open and friendly, attractive or not, and most times they're married, but it doesn't stop them from complimenting me.

I don't mean to sound conceited if I'm coming off that way, but the girls I'm interested in, which are my age and attractive, don't seem to think twice about me.

Maybe the cliche is true... "Just gotta wait it out." :/

• Sure,most girls like handsome guys..

• HA! I'm in the same situation. I'm the only white guy in a CHinese school long term, and I'm defo better looking than the average Lee. Asian girls think just because your white or good looking you must be a jerk jock moron..

So I do get that feeling. HOWEVER, with the foreign students I don't.

Sometimes it's not your fault, but it's other peoples. You can't blame yourself for the quirks or wrong assumptions people have.

f*** em.

• I experience the same thing. I wouldn't really say that I'm extremely shy anymore, as I've been trying to overcome it and come a long way since what I was. I think the most that ever happens to me regarding the girls you mentioned that don't seem like they'd be shy or have trouble talking to you, they only seem to look. Some will hold a stare, while others will either look away quickly or won't look at all. I don't know about you, but I get frustrated when people tell me to approach a girl...Really? Are you talking about the one that doesn't seem to even see me or the other one that can't say more than 2 words? It's tough for me because I'm not the best conversationalist in the world and I'm not getting much practice either.

They also might be stuck on the idea that you are the one that's supposed to be doing the initiating. My advice, even though I'm in the same position, would be to first feel good at the fact that you make girls speechless. Next time you see a girl that seems to be shying away from looking at you, realize that she's acting that way BECAUSE OF YOU. See if it gives you a confidence boost enough to go talk to her. If you approach her and she's still being short, then jokingly call her out on it. I'm sometimes just blunt with people and say what I'm thinking, whether it makes things awkward or not. Just come right out and say "You aren't talking and it makes me sad. Talk."

• If a guy is good looking and mostly reserved, people in general will assume that he is full of himself. Men make the same assumptions about beautiful women who stay to themselves. I wish I had an easy answer for you, but honestly, you will have to wade through your share of dippy girls to find a good one who will like you for you.

The reality of life is, women are every bit as crass and vile as men, just in a different way. The hard part is maintaining your sense of openness and sanity in the midst of all the negativity out there. I think a big key to success in socializing in general is to approach it with a laid-back, no-expectations demeanor. Just try talking to girls as people, not as girls.

More from Guys
6