Who pays for prom tickets?

We are dating. He hasn't mentioned it yet, but I was just wondering who pays for it.

This question has a poll!

if you can, please explain.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 10

What Guys Said 7

• Selected as most helpful

I think it depends on the nature of your relationship. Personally I see paying for the Prom the same way I do dating. If I ask a guy out on a date and he accepts, I pay. If he asks me out he pays. After that we can go Dutch or switch off who pays.

But if you know the guy doesn't have a ton of cash, it would be great to split the cost, even if he asked...

• The default is always the asker. If you feel comfortable enough, discuss splitting it, but the asker is usually the one.

• you pay for your own

• Whoever did the asking should offer to pay and follow through if need be. Whether or not they end up paying the whole thing is another issue.

• Prom is ridiculously expensive, and I asked the guy to prom, so I have to pay all of it? that's stupid(that's what the majority said) I said you pay for your own ticket

• I agree, each pay for your own ticket

• No I know, but what if you asked him? does that mean you have to pay?

• Just think about how the guy always pays for your dates.

• the asker should pay for the tix.

• Because I just wouldn't ask someone to do something and then say oh you can come but you have to pay for yourself. if the 2 people are from the same school it would be ok for them to pay for their own tix but if you're asking someone from another school I think you should pay for them both

• Why? I don't get that?

• Dating/relationship: Man Pays

Friends: Split cost

That's how I rolled in high school, that's how I rolled at my prom.

• I went with a friend, there was only one dance I went with a boyfriend, and that was homecoming.

• Did you have an actual date to the prom or did you just go with a friend?

• Im paying for my own ticket this year because prom is still a month away and I never know what might happen. If you haven't been together long that is probably your best bet if you really wanna go. It also wouldn't hurt to ask him what his plans are.

• i think that if you're going to different schools, the the person who is a student at that particular school should pay.

• This works

• It depends on the situation. Most of the time, the guy pays. But if you're not too serious together, and you're just going as friends or as a date, then usually the person asking pays. Or you split it.

Best way to figure this situation out is to go up to him one day and hand him some money saying that it is for the prom ticket. He'll either take it and go get your tickets, or he'll refuse and say he is paying. Takes all the guess work out of the situation, and makes you look nice if he was going to pay anyway.

• Thats really smart!!!

good idea : )

• Split the cost

• If they both go to the same school, each pay their own ticket

Otherwise, the person who asked (from that school) pays for the date (from another school)

• I always pay.

Pretty simple.

• Good answer!

• I would pay even if she invited

• You pay for your ownnnnn

• In my opinion, if the couple has been together less than a month they should each buy their own prom ticket but if longer (sadly a month is a long time in high school) then the guy pays

just my 2 cents... if even worth that much

• Good answer!

• If he's half smart, he'd be paying.