4 Reasons Why I Love Valentine's Day

Valentines day can feel like a dumb Hallmark holiday that was invented to encourage consumerism and make single folks feel left out. And there's nothing fun or romantic about any of that! But it doesn't have to be viewed that way. I've always seen Valentine's day differently, and it has become one of my favorite holidays. Here's why:

1. It's wasn't invented by Hallmark

Yes, Valentine's day can feel like it's all about buying candy, cards, and useless junk for people. And it has turned into that, unfortunately- but that's not how it got started. Valentine's day actually comes from the story of the real St. Valentine. There are a few different takes on how St. Valentine's life led to our current Valentine's day traditions. One story says that long ago, a Roman emperor banned the marriage of soldiers because he believed that they would fight more bravely if they didn't have families. St. Valentine married soldiers in secret, so he became known as a friend to lovers. When he was caught and imprisoned, he cured the jailer's daughter of her blindness, and slipped her a note signed "your Valentine". It is also said that he was beloved by children, who were so sad when he was imprisoned that they tossed flowers and notes of love down to him through the bars of his prison cell. He was executed on February 14th. He is now the patron saint of lovers, married people, and young people.

2. It's not just about romantic love

The tradition of Valentine cards was started by children passing notes to and from St. Valentine, and had nothing to do with romantic love. Valentine's day is a chance to show your love and appreciation for your friends and family, not just your significant other. I grew up giving handmade Valentines to all my friends and family members, and that's what made the holiday fun for me. And it's always fun to receive Valentines and treats from friends and family, too, not just from an SO. Even if you're single, Valentine's day is a chance to give and receive love and appreciation, which always feels good. So take this opportunity to bond with the people you care about and bring on the warm fuzzy feelings.

3. It's an excuse for fun stuff

Crafts? Treats? Sneaky plots for slipping cards into your friends' backpacks without them noticing? Yes please! Valentine's day is an excuse to be a kid again, and to indulge in things that are fun, cute, silly, or a little frivolous just because it feels good. That's why I go all out- handmade cards, chocolate covered strawberries, cookies or cupcakes, and decorations. It's an excuse to get crafty in a way you may not have done since you were a kid, and that in itself is a fun and emotionally healthy process. Plus, a handmade card will seem all the more special to your loved ones. And who can say no to an adorable homemade treat?

4. Love is worth celebrating

There are many kinds of love: love for a parent, love for a child, love for a cousin, grandparent, friend, or significant other. Every single one of those loves is precious and worthy of appreciation. A holiday isn't necessary for that, and Valentine's day isn't the only time when you should be showing your appreciation for your loved ones. But a holiday devoted specifically to showing your love gives you an excuse to go all out in fun ways. And love is the most precious precious gift of all- why not devote a day to celebrate it?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 7

• You're a girl. The reason you love this day so much is pretty clear. If men closed their wallets you would be saying how much you hate Valentine's day, not how much you love it.

This is one thing you will not see any men doing, saying how much they love Valentine's day. 😒

• Speak for yourself, please. I spoil my boyfriend on Valentine's day even more than he spoils me.

• You like 💰 Period. Doesn't take an entire bloc of text or a myTake to understand that. You're free to go, you already contradicted yourself twice in that bloc and you won't convince me you aren't lying. Bye now ✌️

• Please point out where I contradicted myself.

• I couldn't agree with you more. These occasions are for celebrating things that really matter, and good reminders. It wasn't made for companies. Cynics need to know that you don't have to empty your wallet to show someone you appreciate them.

• To me it's just another busllshit holiday (that is mostly continued today to increase retail sales like cards, candy and jewelery like Xmas), and not even one where you get a day off at that. Fuck love, more trouble than it's worth.

• Sorry for the dumb question, but how do you yourself celebrate it? I don't celebrate because I'm single

• If I'm single, I celebrate it by showing my love for friends and family. If I'm in a relationship, I still do that- I just show my love for my partner in addition.

• Thank God i no longer have to put up with that shit. Women... fucking waste of time

• There's really only one reason you love Valentines Day: you're a woman. And the reason women love it, and men don't, should be pretty clear.

Men should boycott Valentines Day until women start showing their appreciation for men to an equal degree. Until then, it is nothing more than another display of female entitlement and double standards.

• I appreciate men who are respectful and don't accuse me of being a liar when they have no proof.

• And I haven't done so?

• I do get what you're saying. It's become a thing for women to show off how much their man spent on them. You know what I want for Valentine's Day? Pizza and a DVD and sex. That's it. We could split the cost of the pizza and I own loads of dvds. But I'm still single af so never mind.

• It was actually named by the massacre by Al Capone. There is nothing fun about it. And anybody who believes in love and is looking for it is simply retarded.

• Actually it's the other way round. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre got it's name because it took place on February 14th, which was already known as St. Valentine's Day at the time. It's an unfortunate association, but tragedies happen every day, and we can't stop celebrating good things just because bad things happen too.

What Girls Said 4

• Number 4 is a great reason to celebrate love but I prefer love to be celebrated in our own ways possible and not just on Valentine's Day :D

Great myTake!

• Maybe thats just you when you were single, but as a single person myself I never felt left out on Valentines day. I always get presents.

• I never felt left out when I was single. But there are people who do. And based on what I've seen and heard, people who feel left out when they're single on Valentine's day tend to be people who think it's just about romance. So that's kind of why I wrote this myTake.

• you love it for 5* things
    the 5th is that you do have a boyfriend

• Actually, Valentine's day was one of my favorite holidays long before I ever had a boyfriend. And I didn't start dating until I was 19, so I definitely did my time as a single lady. A key point of this myTake is that you DON'T need to be in a relationship to enjoy Valentine's day, and my ability to enjoy it as a single person has played a huge role in why I like the holiday so much.

• good reasons