Why You Should Avoid Ghosting People

There could be several reasons why you are reading this MyTake. Maybe you have considered ghosting, maybe you are in the middle of it as you are reading this or maybe you are just curious. But, I`m pretty sure the majority of you guys have experienced ghosting both directly and indirectly. Has it happened to you? Perhaps someone you know? Regardless of your situation, I hope this MyTake can guide you to the right answer.

Before we get started: do not be too hard on yourself.

If you have ghosted someone as I have, I`m sure you feel or felt bad. I have just realized that the past cannot be changed, and it will all work out eventually for everybody. No one is perfect, and if you have ghosted someone once, pick yourself up and learn from your mistakes.

Let`s jump right in!

1. If your intentions were good (sometimes they are!), you most likely will regret that you did it.

I know it could be hard to understand, but my intentions were good (still, I have no idea why I did it like that) when I ghosted my ex. Our relationship was hell, and towards the end, I was feeling alone, scared, anxious and neglected. He was leaving our problems alone and he wasn`t understanding how I was feeling. Breaking up was out of the question for him, but I felt like he could be happier in a relationship that was not with me.

Even though our relationship ended really badly, I still regret that I ghosted him. I only did it impulsively, and I felt like it was the only thing to do at that moment. Now I realize of course, that it was not the only thing to do. I was just immature, and I had never had a real relationship before.

Why You Should Avoid Ghosting People

2. You give the person you ghost unnecessary reasons to dislike/hate you.

When you leave someone in the dark, it doesn`t matter to them at all if your intentions were good or bad. They only know one thing: you are a traitor, and they were wrong about you. However, it might be really hard for you and maybe you even have a really good reason to ghost them, but it puts you in an unnecessarily negative light. The reason I say this is because you might not have wanted to hurt them intentionally. It was something you did because it was the best thing for you.

Why You Should Avoid Ghosting People

3. It haunts you.

Again, no matter the actual motivation and reason to do this, your actions will haunt you in the future. It`s like a scratch; it feels good for a moment but it will start to burn. I strongly recommend that you find other ways to remove someone from your life.

4. It makes it harder for the other person to get over you.

Obviously, when you ghost someone you do not wish to see them or hear from them. Either they did something that triggered you, or the relationship between you overall was not to your liking. No matter what it is, I`m pretty sure you would want them to get over you ASAP (or you don`t care). Well, ghosting someone will make it worse for them. They will keep asking themselves what the hell went wrong, who should really be blamed and how long you considered wiping them from your life. If you want to prove a point, tell them what happened. Or else you will not be able to prove it.

Why You Should Avoid Ghosting People

5. You lose chances to ever speak to them again.

Ghosting is probably the lowest thing you can do to someone in any kind of relationship. Usually, it`s normal to catch up with an ex further down the road when both of you have gotten over it. No hard feelings, right? You might want to reconsider that possibility for you. The person will probably always (or for a very long time) think badly of you, and there is nothing you can do unless they come to you (which is very unlikely). If you think this is a person you want to keep in your life but not so close, do not ghost them.

Why You Should Avoid Ghosting People

6. Most of the time, you cannot apologize no matter how much you want to.

This is similar to point #5. Still, apologizing is a big part of parting ways with another person, and it is important if you want to have a neutral relationship with them. By ghosting someone you pretty much lose the chance to decide if you want to apologize or not. As for me, I have wanted to apologize since we broke up, but I have accepted the fact that I did something terrible and I will leave it alone. Still, it kills me because I don`t want to be a terrible person. Also, when you apologize, it will mean very little to nothing.

Why You Should Avoid Ghosting People

7. It gets you into bad habits and teaches the wrong lessons of life.

In life, no matter how difficult the problem is, you cannot just escape them. If you do, it definitely should not be easy. If you can escape something easily, something is terribly wrong. The right way to deal with difficult situations is to think them over and discuss them with the people involved. Easy solutions are ALWAYS temporary, and it gets you into bad habits. It feels good to just escape everything, but when you do it, you realize really soon that it was not such a good idea after all. However, it is the only way you know how to deal with things and you find yourself stuck.

8. Overall, it is just a really sad thing to do.

For everyone. It is sad for you because ghosting seemed like the only way out. It is sad for the others because they will never know what really happened, and maybe they really liked you. Try to remember that there are other options! If you do not know what to do, there are always people around who can help. I hope for others that they avoid making the same mistakes I did. I sure learned from them.

2025
ragequeen is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• I think I was ghosted once:
    Our university had a peer tutoring program for the good students to help the failing students. There was this girl my friend was tutoring, basically I hit on her and asked her on a date and she kept making excuses about exam and eventually stopped responding... it made me very mad so I sent her a scathing email saying mean things to her (she blocked my phone) lol I was such a prick.
    But anyway it's probably not the same thing you were talking about since we didn't really know each other aside from the names.

I think I ghosted all of my friends 2 years ago (1 year after the above incidence). More like I went off the grid, changed my phone, moved to another country. I checked my fb and it seems nobody really cared, I realized I was not a close friend to anybody! Maybe my name came up in one of their conversations like
    "- hey whatever happened to that dude?
    - I don't know lol"
    and they carry on with their day

Still I really appreciate your experience. I know this guide will be useful when my next relationship goes awry. Thanks for guiding me to t h e r i g h t a n s w e r

• Uh, not, for many it is absolutely the RIGHT thing. You don't try to negotiate with crazy people. If the relationship has failed it has already been discussed to death. Trying to explain more is fruitless. Just be done.

I'm not a big fan of the whole ghosting concept, but I get it. My recommendation is to simply say, in person, "It's over." Or, "I can't do this anymore, I'm done. It's over."

No more explanations, no apologies, no accusations. Just be done. Trying to do more just invites the stalkers to stalk you and try to ruin your life. No, just be done.

Most Helpful Girls

• I think it depends on the circumstance.

I had an ex boyfriend who I tried to end it with but he didn’t want to. After him threatening me to kill himself because I didn’t want to date him again, he finally realized he should get away from me in order to get over me. But I know he still has feelings for me so anytime he tried messaging me through different accounts, I knew the attention would attract him more, so I declined and ghosted. I don’t reply to his texts.

• you are more mature dealing with this...

i am doing it right now and i feel horrible inside and misses him terribly...
    i havn't talk to my boyfriend for 5 days now... I dont know what to do... i worry if i pick up the phone, i would be all emotional and then he will feel bad and things are just not going to be good.

i need time i am too coward to say anyting to him since i already did tell him all my concerns.
    i am kinda stuck...

• Hey, I completely understand how you are feeling. If you are unhappy in the relationship, leave it as it is. The damage is done, and all you can do is move forward. If you ghosted him because of a small disagreement, try to contact him ASAP if you want to keep your relationship going. I wish you the best of luck!

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 23

• I like how the majority of these reasons are arrogant and self-centered.
    I mean, nothing less expected of a ghoster, but come on...

• There is a reason why the MyTake is called why YOU should avoid ghosting. The MyTake is about you in the situation of ghosting because you did it, so it may seem that way.

• Been ghosted many times by the girls I'd have a crush on them and also me ghosting other friends on FB and in real life. It was a fucked-up situation. We were tangled in a complicated state. Have no idea how to solve it actually...

• I think you're allowed to ghost after the first date, no matter how well it went. Beyond that, you owe at least a text

• I think it's a silly thing to do, ignore people, but follow there online activity, in order to glean insite into their lives and psychological state of mind. Best to just let them go.

• I ghost cause people only talk about there problems to me every time we text, i change the subject, they get back to it ( there problem) i warn them , they come back again with it days later.
    So i leave.

Nother reason, girl with daddy issues plays too much games to point its not funny. She te ts you for 6 hours each day on time, me being nice after she sent me a pic i complimented her and she later pushes me away. When she got back she said sorry. I ghosted her cause she assume i was like this guy and that guy but she loved being around me cause i was funny and inspirational.

When someone hits you up, dont want nothing, talk about themselves, text late and dont want to get to know you. Bye!

The ones falls asleep on you, can't say sorry, want you spend time with them via text but there taken. No. Not for it.

People have dumb motives. Girl ghost me waaaaay before i ghost them. They start a conversation for a day then you'll never see them again.

• Good Take and good advice. As you point out, it has downsides, especially #7.

• i'm going to keep harassing them for fun until they change their number! just kidding, ain't no one have time for them. but what's funny is when people who ghost you suddenly contacts you again because they realized they don't have anyone else to talk to, they lost their friends, got ditched/ghosted by the other person they're talking to because karma bit them in the ass or whatever, and they come back to you like a dog wagging its tail, trying to pretend like nothing ever happened. i also hate the people who ask for help and ghost you right after you help them too.

• Coz it emotionally scars you... I believe it's dubledor that says ignorance does far more damage than cursing...

• I ghost rude girls. That includes playing hard to get.

• Well put
    Ghosting is just a cowardly despicable way of dealing with other people

• I thought the answer was going to be in case you spook them.

• This is the first time I'm hearing the term "ghosting."

• 1. Of course you do, but that's better.
    2. That's even better. If that person hates me, she'll get over me easier and faster.
    3. Yes, but again, so what? The point was to stop bothering someone you care about.
    4. Not if she hates me.
    5. That's... kinda the point of it.
    6. Well, no, but again I'd do this to stop talking to her, which apologizing wouldn't help.
    7. It teaches me to not impose myself on people I bother.
    8. Sad, not sad, it doesn't matter, what matters is that I'd free someone from my presence. Which is the point of it, again.

• Very true. I am not gonna talk much about my experience. I had enough talking about my ex. I only know ghosting shouldn't be applied in someone who you really care about, and who cares about you.

Yeah, I was ghosted, it sucks but it also thought me to stay strong and don't follow up that game, because is a mind game when you try to keep up a conversation and the other person suddenly stop replying with no reason.

My advice if you are been ghosted. Never reply first, don't wait on a reply if you responded a message. If investing enough time and interest in a person don't get you knowhere it only means that person don't want much to with you and sooner or later you will be blocked.

• Nice my take

• Nice take, Influencer.
    Well done 🤗

• Meh.

• Nice take.

• The only time I think it’s acceptable to ghost someone is if they’re legitimately crazy and put you into a dangerous/scary situation.

• Great take!

• I got ghosted twice. My trust in women is non existant.

I blamed myself for being ghosted and began hating the women more and more each day ever I came to realize they were too cowardly to confront me.

Now im just a 26 year old virgin loser with nothing to show for it but being ghosted.

• Why did you ghosted the person?

• I think I mentioned it in the MyTake but basically, the relationship was really bad at the end. I felt like I was alone, he stopped caring and he tried to make me jealous in times I was really vulnerable. I`d like to say he had it coming since I tried breaking up before, but he made me feel like I was stuck and I would never find anyone like him. It was an impulsive decision, and it was wrong.

• Sometimes it's good to be bad. You made the right decision. And sorry, I didn't read the whole thing. I am not a reader. I get bored easily. Nice mytake tho!

• I think it’s good ghosted him. It sounds like he deserved it.

• Good points... but some things you forgot to say, it's also extremely rude, disrespectful, immature and selfish! Unless you're being harassed or stalked, but if they don't deserve it and you are just doing it "because it's easier", you are a horrible person! A lot of women think they are sparing his feelings, but you make it a MILLION times worse than if you were just completely honest with him!!!

What Girls Said 18

• I've only done that in cases where I made it explicitly clear that I wasn't interested, and the guy still wouldn't leave me alone, and in cases where I genuinely fear for my safety. Sometimes both cases happen with the same guy.

• Ghosting is just the worst thing ever. It´s just dishonest and cowardly. If you were close to somebody but now want to break up with them, just be honest and tell them how you feel. They will be sad or even devastated, but not nearly as devastated as they will be by being ghosted on.

• I never ghosted any potential partner. But people I meet on internet... sorta. and I feel bad about it. I didn't mean to.

They message me, usually it's long and I decide that I'll reply when I'm at leisure. I mean, it doesn't sound nice to reply "oh nice" to something they put in efforts to write down. And then I completely forget about it.

When I remember it, that person has usually moved on.

• Ghosting is mean. I'm not talking about ghosting someone online you were talking to, but someone you may have been dating a short while. I was in a couple situations where the guy I was dating was slowly fading. Instead of outright telling me things weren't working, my messages would be ignored and they would be unavailable for long periods of time. The only time its ok to ghost is if the person is persistent and won't leave you alone despite saying the relationship will not work out.

• You stymy your own personal development skills. It's far harder to be considerate than ghost someone. They need a chance to process the good, bad and the ugly with you... That's a very vulnerable place but a necessity for closure.

• Is it still consider ghosting if you disappear after 1 date? Your points seem to reference those in relationships which I agree with all of them.

• Nice take, and no I've never ghosted anyone and never will 😊

• Your next one should be why you avoid stalking people.

• I feel stuck and I don't know what to do...

• Oops posted my answer on accident. Ghosting isn't my thing though but it hurts to hurt someone else.

• Now take 😊

• Interesting mytake

• Well done! ^_^

• Good take

• Interesting

• why?

• Agreed

• I have got ghosted from my love when i lost my job in the hardest moments i needed a hug :/ several months

• I know like 1 or maybe 2 guys that are ghosting me and to be honest, it is a very sad and annoying thing to do, as they will lose their opportunities.