Is it ok to wish my ex-boyfriend Happy Father's Day?

I dated a man for a short time and we broke up on good terms. We agreed to stay in contact, and we text every few weeks just to say hello. He is a father and his children mean the world to him. Would it be appropriate to send him a text wishing him Happy Father's Day, and to tell him I think he's a great dad? Or are you only supposed to say that to your own dad?
We broke up a few months ago and have texted a few times since. We have not seen each other, but we do have a strong connection and as things move forward we could perhaps become friends.
We dated for 3 months, several dates.

34

Most Helpful Guy

• If you split on good terms, yea it's fine to wish a happy father's day.

Personally I've never had a bad breakup and always remained friends. A cordial breakup is a heck of a lot better than the breakups where they end up hating each others' guts.

Just curious. Reading a little between the lines, was this a clean break? Or is there a part of you that would like to get back with him?

• Yes, there is a part of me that would like to get back together with him. So, that is partly motivating me, but I truly do admire him as a parent and thought a text would make him smile. He said he wanted to stay in touch, and we've texted a few times.

• Well, I think you should try to separate the two things. It sounds like mostly you already are. Best to make sure it's sincere though.

If you broke up I assume there is a reason. If you get back together, I'd advise taking it slow and make sure you aren't just remembering the good things and forgetting the reason for breaking up. Sometimes the second time around can be sweeter. But don't get your hopes up only to set yourself up for a fall. Was that neutral enough? :D

Most Helpful Girl

• def. wish him happy fathers day it will be sweet and let him know you think he's doing a great job as a dad.