My boyfriend said really mean things to me, am I overreacting?

My boyfriend and I have had some really nice times together. He was my best friend and I told him everything. So this isn't the first time my boyfriend has said mean things to me or called me names. Whenever we get into a really big argument over he starts calling me names or saying hurtful things. A couple of days ago he got really drunk and we were arguing over something stupid and I did absolutely nothing wrong. Yet he started screaming at me and yelling fuck you, that I'm an asshole, bitch, I'm the worst, that he was going to find another girl, that I ruin everything, etc. all as I was just sitting there crying. I ended up leaving and I broke up with him. I told him that if he didn't get help and change I was done with him for good. As of right now we are broken up, he told me he was going to therapy but I'm not sure if he will change or not. I need opinions on what to do. How long should I wait to see if he changes/ if he does? We have no contact until then. Am I allowed to talk to other guys?

14

What Guys Said 4

• Move on. People don't change

• You're always allowed to talk to other guys, I'm not sure what that has to do with you being broken up. Your ex sounds really abusive though, never be with someone who insults you, even in arguments.

• Enjoy your life as you like👍

• You can't change him. You are in an abusive relationship. You can't put a time limit on this. You should explore dating other guys. You are still young. He needs professional help.

• What if he changed by going to therapy

• It usually doesn't happen overnight. It can take months or years. He will probably relapse along the way and become abusive again. You are the one who has to decide how much you are willing to put up with. Unfortunately, many women stay in abusive relationships for years. My mother did so with my dad for over 50 years until he died. Nothing changed.

What Girls Said 1

• You don't wait. he will not change unless he wants to. Just go on with your life and yes you are allowed to talk to whoever you want. What he did was abuse. Do you want to go back to that?