Did You Know Love Is an Actual Drug?

I have experienced love once and can say it put me through both pleasure and misery. I started to notice a trend with myself that when I was away from my significant other, I would feel somewhat sad and moody; but, when I saw him after a while, I would get an instant boost of happiness. Seeing him literally made me feel "high on life."

Did you know love is an actual drug?

After 2 years of an on an off relationship, I finally called it quits for good. The first time we broke up I was a mess. He ghosted me and left without any explanation, and abandoned me, and didn't talk to me for 4 months. I had no idea what happened and it drove me insane. I can't begin to explain what began happened to my body emotionally and physically. I was in literal physical pain and my head was constantly hurting from the overwhelming and intrusive thoughts of him. It felt like my brain was just beating out of my head. I felt so off. I felt lethargic, shaky, and was just unable to sleep. I read an article that stated when something hurts you intensely emotionally, it sends signals to your brain that you are in actual, physical pain...

This led me to numerous other articles that stated a breakup is similar to a drug withdrawal. This would explain why I was feeling so strangely. It was like I was experiencing new kinds of feelings I had never felt before and I so badly just wanted to see and be with my ex. I became obsessive and was never the type to drive myself to such a bad point. One article stated there was a study where people who had recently gone through a break up, were shown pictures of their ex lovers. When they saw the image, parts of their brains lit up that would light up for a cocaine addict going through withdrawal. This confirms love is a drug! Who would have thought Kesha's song had such a literal meaning??

I am a month into my 2nd breakup with the same guy, and this time around I have been more accepting to it, but still feel some withdrawal at times. I can't begin to explain what came over me after that first break up. I felt so out of control and abnormal. I felt like I wasn't even myself anymore. Something came over me that would consume my thoughts with my ex and it put me through absolute hell. Living life or even doing things I loved felt like such a chore because my mind was always elsewhere. I I mean, how crazy is it to think we can love a person as much as a cocaine addict craves cocaine?

Did you know love was a drug? Have you had any similar experiences?

317
gypsydream is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• when I feel in love for the 1st time (for real) I was in La La Land for several months. I couldn't think straight, she was on my mind 24/7 and I was walking on air, so yea love certainly is a powerful drug and the come-down is heart-breaking.

Most Helpful Girl

• Love is a form of addiction. No doubt about it. If you don't want to get addicted to a wrong drug or get damaging side effects, you do the research: read articles, labels, etc. If you don't want to fall in love with (get addicted to) the wrong person, do your research first. How? See if you are compatible by asking the right (serious) questions upfront. Be honest and transparent. Demand the same in return. Are you looking for the same things in life? Have long discussions about serious matters in life and notice how you both handle potential conflict. If no 'red flags', then you should meet and see if there is a physical attraction. Thus you eliminate the chances of being exposed to the wrong drug, i. e. falling in love with the wrong person.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 16

• I knew it. But the real drugs, that are being released during love include serotonin and oxytocin and more. If you miss this dose on love, then you will feel withdrawal and then your body adjusts and gets used to the lack of such drug supplies.
    I love drugs! 😍

• Why is anybody using crack when they can get "love" for free?

• I got sugar high once. Then I experienced severe withdrawal symptoms when I try to go on a 48 hours water only diet.

I never know why they didn't banned sugar even though it is addictive, changes your brain and can kill you.

• Ofcourse. Anything we feel in our body is a direct result of the chemical effects of hormonal changes. And I can't understand how someone could break up with a pretty little thing like you.

And I thought I had it hard. Maybe zero experiences in dating could be better than a negative experience after all. I might just go crazy even if a crush rejected me lol.

• A song from the 1970s comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5FW5Ip0TIw

• To be exact love is only a chemical reaction in brain.

• i think love is a great feeling but its also a compromisation to all our needs, the things we love n all

• Too long, didn't read. Though the answer to your question: Yes, I knew love is caused by a drug, as with a lot of things. It's basic psychology/psychiatry.

• It's not a drug but it does function similarly to one in a sense.

• "Love" I haven't really been all addicted to it and I'm single now so I can't really be loving anything but I can see why others can be though, I met a girl in mexico 2 years ago I got her to be my girlfriend after just a few days of meeting her, But when it came to asking her why did she love me she always answered "I don't Know"I feel as though it was the sex that got her addicted to me along with my shy guy personality trust me "Love" is one of the weirdest emotions for people to experience and the most explainable but to answer yes it can be like a drug but not really to some people

• Everything which is over excessive including LOVE is addiction.

• I nearly od'd on sex the other day

• Love is Retarded

• You picked a WRONG username. Decent guys usually believe in love and commitment.

• Beautifully said. Good luck to you!

• What? No. Really? That's crazy.

• Yupp. It's a sickness like any other addiction.

• The love you are talking about was ego based, that's why you felt those ups and downs. Unfortunately, that is the only ''love'' most people know about.

• how was it ego based?

• You said that when you were away from him you felt sad, moody and when you saw him you got a boost. That is more a dependency. All of the pain and misery you mentioned on both sides is a product of unconscious thought, and reactive behavior. Love without ego is fully conscious, there are no ups and downs, or misery. You feel no dependency, there is no ghosting or abandonment.

Love through the ego needs to be satisfied, a void needs to be filled, it needs to be fed, and the other person becomes your food for that void. Thus when they are not there, or not doing what you want them to do, you feel bad. It also sounds like you could have had some ''love addiction'' as well.

Love has no opposite because it is beyond our mind. Most of us are directed in our life from the internal chatter in our mind. When you are in a relationship, that internal chatter plays over and over like a scratched record, and if you are not aware of what's playing, you react to it.

What Girls Said 2

• yup kinda

• yeah i know it i don't use drugs