5 Reasons Why People Cheat On Their Significant Others

1. They aren't truly in love

Being in love can be confusing. Sometimes the feeling you once had about the other person may no longer be apparent. They are probably in love with someone else but don't want to hurt you.

2. They want to experience another person

I've known married people who thought about cheating on their significant other because of their sexual experience. Marrying at a young age can be the reason many people cheat on their spouses. It's not because they don't love them, it's because they haven't experienced another man or woman. Life is short and imagine not being able to experience all of it's sensations because you made a commitment.

3. They aren't loyal

While a significant other may be madly in love with someone, sexual desires can be strong. Other men and women can be very malicious with their intentions, therefore making a lonely spouse an easy hit-and-quit.

4. They just wanted a quick nut

Though more common with men, sexual desires are strong and tempting. When another beautiful man or woman offer themselves for the taking for just a night and nothing more, temptation takes its course. Most men or women who cheat just want to satisfy their sexual desires without any personal intent of feelings or attachment.

5. They are douchebags

There are some people who just cannot keep it in their pants and have no real intention on staying with you for the long run. Some people do it for malicious reasons, such as revenge or to hurt their significant other. I honestly hope you never meet this person.

2844

Most Helpful Guy

• There are people who are not really in love but they don't cheat. They may end up leaving the relationship, but they don't cheat.

There are people who want to experience another person but they don't cheat. They may end up leaving the relationship, but they don't cheat.

There are people who just want a quick nut but they don't cheat. They may go find a private place for a solo session, but they don't cheat.

There are people who are douche bags but they don't cheat. They may end up leaving the relationship, and they may be genuine assholes, but they don't cheat.

There is one reason why people cheat. They feel no guilt about ignoring their promise to be faithful. They think only of their immediate sexual gratification and nothing else matters. They suffer from a character defect. That is why they cheat.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 43

• Great points. How about revenge/getting back on their partner for cheating or other reasons?

• Don't need to read it... They are WEAK and don't have the balls to break up and Don't want to be alone if it doesn't work with the other person... Plain and Simple.

Any other reasons are just EXCUSES.

FYI, anyone that says they still love the person they are cheating on... IS Full of SHIT... or have the Lowest Morals/standards of LOVE... Possible.

Cheaters should automatically lose 100% of their stuff... instead of 50/50 for divorces.

• 38 and still haven't come to accept the fact that prejudice isn't cool? Love doesn't come so easy and doesn't leave easily.

• Says the (15 yr old), LMFAO.

Only real reason Love doesn't come easy.. is Because of the FAKE/lying/WEAK people you describe in this post.

• Your significant other can’t cheat on you if you never had one...

• My reasons
    - she's fucking boring
    - she play games
    - she cheated 1st
    - she no fun to be around
    - relationship was not worth the wai
    - with hold sex
    - girl is dumb as 2 bricks can't take the hint that i told her i didn't love her.

Now personally i never cheated in my life. Id communicate that i lost interest and break it off. But that list is mentally my reasons.

• Dr. John Gottman is one of the world's leading researches of relationships. He has found that most affairs are about seeking friendship, support, understanding, and validation.

Some people cheat because they are sorry individuals. But sometimes it's because they aren't with a great person or at least not with someone who is being good to them.

I'm not taking sides, I'm just saying that sometimes it's not just that the cheater is a bad person.

• Note that reasons aren’t always good ones. There’s no justifiable reason to cheat. 😕

• Commitment issues, childhood issues, abuse, etc.

• Or maybe you’re just too stupid to understand me. This could go on forever, so I’m done talking about it.

• Too stupid to understand you? You're not hot sh*t.

• People who cheat on their partner are plain Asshole/cunts, Period.

• Some people cheat because some people are just not mentally built at that place and time of their life... to be monogamous.

Others cheat because their current relationship is missing something, and that missing piece (attention, sex, etc.) is fulfilled through cheating.

• Anyone can cheat with a perfect storm of tons of distress caused by many factors that are intrinsic more than extrinsic.

Out of hatred several are going to say cheaters will allways be cheaters, and it's not the case. People change.

Cheating is the result of unsolve internal issues. Is an agresive respond of how somebody's feel towards an unwanted situation into a relationship. In other words is no way an assertive way to solve problems, or conflicts in a relationship.

• A) Mostly because they don't equate monogamy with love
    B) They want to know they're still sexually desirable to someone other than their s. o.
    C) Variety... in all its forms
    D) They rationalize that one is just sex, but I really care for my s. o. and am loyal in every other way, but I won't abide by this "no sex with anyone else for the rest of your life" rule.

• Meaning of this in 4 words: They are baaaad people.

• the book "sex at dawn" has some interesting thoughts that don't align with this, but its still a good read

• Where in the world did you come up with this stuff? It's obvious you don't know anything about cheating or relationships. Geebus. But you jump on here making these silly claims.

• Got bored of a relationship, lost feelings, found someone else, long distance relationship problems etc...

• if you can't be responsible in a relationship with one person let them break up with you, or be in a three-person relationship besides that, this ain't grade school so get a life

• Option 6. The significant other can't give something what the other one can give. I'm in a situation like this where the girl I'm dating with has a boyfriend. And I'm well aware that their relationship doesn't work at all as the woman wants. So that's why I came into the picture as there is something in me, what the other guy can't give to her. In our case its care and attention. Her significant other is a douchebag, cares usually only about him and his career. Me on the other hand I care about her. Is it her fault? Not at all. Is it my fault? Nope. Its the fault of her douchebag friend.

• why doesn't she leave him?

• @LegateLanius Good question.

• @coralee People are usually stick with the "sure, but bad" unless they're not sure in themselves.

• They want variety. Lobster and caviar 365/365 is good... but who wouldn't crave pizza after 365 times llobster?

• Boredom, conflicts, restlessness, Mood swings. Problems in life taking things out on each other

• Because humans weren't meant for monogamy. Just being realistic.

• Says who?
      Yeah, people that didn't have two parents

• Lol , financial woes just as much of a problem in traditional countries, even more so if those countries are poorer.

That doesn't cause divorce there.

The fact is that this "sexual revolution " ruined your women and hence ruined marriage.

In traditional countries, they dont fuck around like this, because a womans sexual purity is valued, and sluts are exposed.

And no one is willing to marry a slut. Same goes for men roo, albeit women can be slightly more forgiving.

And the less previous partners you have jad, the more likely your marriage is to succeed.

• There are many more reasons than this, but you're right. I've known all except #2.

• The term "cheat" is erroneous and stupid, and we all should stop using it.

• I prefer the idea of promise breaking. Right now, for as long as we continue to bind people together legally and religously, essentially, what you're doing is creating a contract. One that, unless otherwise specified, requires two people to only have intimacy with each other. So, when you "cheat", you are braking the contract. Or, if you don't want to think of it so coldly, you are making a promise to someone to do just that, and to do anything else would break tha that promise.

so, if you're going to put yourself in a position where you have made a promise to someone, who has their life and emotions tied to you, but you cannot keep those promises, just break it one time. Get divorced, break up with the person you are supposed to be with and move on. There's no reason to toy with someone's emotions. Better still, just don't get married if you are real with yourself.

At least, that's how I see. it.

• Disagree with 2) completely.

" Marrying at a young age can be the reason many people cheat on their spouses. It's not because they don't love them, it's because they haven't experienced another man or woman"

Statistically, this is wrong.
    People who marry their firsts are much less likely to cheat or divorce than those who slept around.

The more sexual experience you have, the more likely you are to cheat.
    Think about it, if you have had more people you are used to more variety and more likely to crave it.

Also , its more likely that your current partner isn't the best you ever had, the more priors you have had.

People who have slept around more are much more likely to cheat and less likely to stay loyal.

So instead of what you said as 2) , it should say, sexual expereince: people who jave had too much sexual experience are more likely to cheat since they crave variety.

• Yes. Anybody who cheats on a person by having time with others is a wuss.

• I believe it all comes down to number one. Without real live there in no commitment and without commitment comes betrayal.

• Not the only reasons, but they all apply.

• I think if it's getting stale stray as long nobody knows knowone gets hurt

• They aren’t getting what they want physically in the relationship.

• That isn't an excuse, though. If your unhappy with the physical aspects of your relationship be a grown-up an break-up with them.

• @coralee some people try to get the best of both worlds. I’m not saying it’s right but it obviously happens.

• Let's not forget that we live and learn. Something that may have occurred during the time may have seemed Okay, but later on you'll know.

• Men cheat because their woman got fat or annoying.

• Cheaters are not capable of love.

• Thought there would be interesting points. Nope.

• Show more from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 28

• he said i wasn't keeping up my appearance, so he cheated on me with one of my used to be friends. i say im living life my way!

• aside from some people not ready for relationships, cheating usually comes down to one reason. not getting ones needs met in the relationship. Cheating is not justified by any means but communication is necessary to be sure both partners are aware of the others needs and are able to try and provide them. If one or both partners can't provide those needs, the relationship is not a good match and both are best to move on. Anything less than that is just selfishness.

• I have met a few number fives who wanted to hurt me because they felt like showing me they can steal cheat on someone like myself.

• Very clear, short and straight to the point! This was outstanding!

I would add another reason, which is starving your partner sexually and it makes them feel unloved. It drives them to cheat.

• Or their partner is having too much problems, they don't know how to deal so they cheat go escape their problems

• Boredom and the thrill
    Also very empty way to live a life

• I think it needs to be called excuses people use and not reasons.
    And it really depends on how strong you are as a person.
    There's been times when I really hated my husband but never had the urge to cheat.

• It doesn't matter WHY they cheated. There's no justification for it.

• I think cheating depends on the kind of person you are an normally if they do it once they'll do it again.

• Some people are saying that maybe the significant other couldn't give what he/she wanted that's why he/she chose to do this.

My ex never gave me time. But I didn't cheat on him! I waited for months before I finally dumped his ass, and till the last moment I was loyal. I did whatever I wanted to do AFTER I dumped him.

The one and only exception where cheating is justified is in case of compulsion. When you are left with no other choice. And most of the time when people think that they have no other choice, they actually do. Even then one should try to maintain as much loyalty as they can.

I'll give one example. Suppose a girl is forced to marry someone when she already had a lover. And her husband and in-laws are toxic. It's better for her going out to meet her lover and talk to him and then they both discuss their issue to figure out a way to escape from this.

• Number five. I'd also add in low self esteem and trust issues.

• I think I agree with #5 the most… Nice take, though!

• I have never cheated in all the relationships I've had. Even tho there was no excitement or adventure, I have never even thought about cheating

• Cheaters are tests. No excuses

• Nice take :)

• This is so good! The points are pretty good!

• They are greedy

• good list, good take

• I only agree with 1,2,3

• Some say that people under stress and pressure, especially men , are more likely to cheat.
    It all depends on the character development and how strong you are as a person.
    Personally, I never cheated, even when I was in a relationship where my partner started losing interest, loss of communication, I started craving closeness of another person, I didn't feel in love anymore but I still didn't do it. After 3 months we broke up and I found out that he did...

• I'm guessing I'll get a bunch of downvotes,
    but can't a person love more than one person at the same time? If love is so great, don't we all want a lot of a good thing? I don't know since when commitment and love became equivalent and interchangeable. I guess since us possessive humans want a good thing all to ourselves? We get "cheated" on because of our unrealistic expectations from love, because we are confusing ourselves and expecting "commitment" from "love" when they are in fact unrelated. The only thing that relates them is our "possessiveness".
    But think about it this way: Parents love all of their children (and grandchildren) and they usually have more than one. Children love both of their parents and wouldn't like to lose either of them. You probably love your aunts and uncles and grandparents, and would like to keep all of them at the same time. People who are pet lovers have more than one pet a lot of times but love all of them. Even with stuff, when you like a certain category of items, you like to own a collection of them. Ever had a hard time deciding which car to buy or which pair of shoes or handbag, and ended up wishing you could afford them all?
    Yes, love is a constant competition, even though we try to take the edge off by asking for commitment. Which is a kind of competition in itself: "If you think I'm sooo great, then it's either ONLY me and you drop everyone else, or you don't get to have me at all." This unrealistic force we put on our partner, comes back to bite us in the form of cheating after the novelty wears off.
    It might be very harsh, but it is the way we think primitively and primarily in our raw minds, before we create the fancy confusion of "commitment" to mask our possessiveness from the one we love. Just like the supply-demand rule that runs our markets.
    Did you know that after the exact age of 36 months, possessiveness awakens in the human child, and that if a child over 36 months gets a new sibling, he/she views it as a BETRAYAL (of love) by his/her parents, and is greatly damaged by it.
    Even I would personally prefer it was otherwise and I could have a full safe commitment from my lover, and I absolutely do not want to accept it this way. But, it is what it is.

• It's like expecting a hungry child not to get into the cookie jar, and accusing him of being a dirty thief if he does.
      How many of you would run for other partners the day your current SO agrees to it and fully accepts to forgive you and stay with you while you do so?

• Interesting

• It is very interesting... and I might found myself engage with a cheater atm... if he is then he's definitely all of them!
    And I would never trust the bs that they would leave their wife for me. Because if they can cheat on their wife who is to say they won't cheat on you?

• Reasons are only excuses. The ONLY reason is #5

• i mean as a girl i can understand that there is a diffirence between love and sex. If i was married to someone who i love and he loves me and fucks some random girl that he feels nothing towards for 15 minutes its not a big deal, it was just physical pleasure, he doesn't love her, he loves me thats why he comes home to me not her, not a big deal

• People cheat because they are stupid, and don't understand how it will make others feel.

• There's absolutely no reason that justifies cheating. It's a dishonest act and betrayal. Break up with your SO if you aren't happy with them and then move on to greener pastures..

• I only agree with 3