Would you date someone with schizophrenia?

My boyfriend told me he had a mental Illness and he takes medicine. He never told me what it was. weve been together 4 months He would always do strange things and say strange things. But I just thought he was quite a character. He always believes I'm gonna do something I said I wouldn't do. But now I know he's schizophrenic I'm scared because of the bad things I've heard about schizophrenia. I don't want to breakup with him but I don't know what to do. What would you do?
He's really scaring me. He won't go get help and now he's refused to take his medicine. He's talking crazy on the phone.

1313

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to and it's a challenge but if you love them you can over come it

• Once they stop taking there meds it's scary and you should stay away until he is back on

• Thank you for choosing me

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I would.
    It's not curable, but it's a treatable disorder.
    As long as the person was open to and consistent with treatment, I wouldn't exclude the possibility of a relationship.

There's a lot of misconception about schizophrenia. It's one of those conditions everyone has a strong opinion on, but very little actual knowledge.
    For example, there's this "all schizophrenics are violent and dangerous" stereotype. It's not true. People with schizophrenia are actually 10-14 times more likely to be VICTIMS of violent crime than to be violent criminals themselves.
    Furthermore, their prognosis and responsiveness to treatment is largely dependent on familial/peer support and co-morbidity with other disorders.

I advise you to read up on it--what the disorder entails, and what the statistics say about the outcomes you're concerned with. It's your call, ultimately, whether you want to be in a relationship with this person, but if you want to make an informed decision, then it's a good idea to get informed.

• I just read up on it.

• Sometimes he doesn't take his medicine for weeks

• That's not a good sign. I would encourage him to do so.