Would you date someone with schizophrenia?

Would you date someone with schizophrenia?

My boyfriend told me he had a mental Illness and he takes medicine. He never told me what it was. weve been together 4 months He would always do strange things and say strange things. But I just thought he was quite a character. He always believes I'm gonna do something I said I wouldn't do. But now I know he's schizophrenic I'm scared because of the bad things I've heard about schizophrenia. I don't want to breakup with him but I don't know what to do. What would you do?
Updates:
He's really scaring me. He won't go get help and now he's refused to take his medicine. He's talking crazy on the phone.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to and it's a challenge but if you love them you can over come it

1|1
    0|0
    • Once they stop taking there meds it's scary and you should stay away until he is back on

• Thank you for choosing me

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I would.
    It's not curable, but it's a treatable disorder.
    As long as the person was open to and consistent with treatment, I wouldn't exclude the possibility of a relationship.

There's a lot of misconception about schizophrenia. It's one of those conditions everyone has a strong opinion on, but very little actual knowledge.
    For example, there's this "all schizophrenics are violent and dangerous" stereotype. It's not true. People with schizophrenia are actually 10-14 times more likely to be VICTIMS of violent crime than to be violent criminals themselves.
    Furthermore, their prognosis and responsiveness to treatment is largely dependent on familial/peer support and co-morbidity with other disorders.

I advise you to read up on it--what the disorder entails, and what the statistics say about the outcomes you're concerned with. It's your call, ultimately, whether you want to be in a relationship with this person, but if you want to make an informed decision, then it's a good idea to get informed.

3|0
    0|0
    • I just read up on it.

• Show All
    • Sometimes he doesn't take his medicine for weeks

• That's not a good sign. I would encourage him to do so.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• Ever watched the movie "A Beautiful Mind"? I heard that's what it's like. Seeing hallucinations and hearing things constantly all the time. And it never goes away. It's like having a nightmare but constantly while you're awake, trying to ignore those hallucinations and concentrate on daily important tasks.

0|0
    0|0
    • We were actually gonna watch it in my psychology class

• Be careful and if he doesn't take his meds then dump him

1|0
    0|0
    • He hasn't taken them i don't think.

• Then dump him if he should be medicated

• Unless your willing to hold his hand through a lifetime of treatment, I wouldn't.

Not saying you can't be successful, just that it's gonna be a difficult road for a long long long time.

0|0
    0|0
  • No no and no I used to work in a psych ward schizophrenia is dangerous I mean absolutely dangerous iv seen people get attacked because the thought someone else was someone else or Jesus told them to do it. I don't care the medication works sometimes but the brain gets use to it after a while. Just say no.

0|0
    0|0
    • aren't there levels of schizophrenia where some cases are worse than others?

• Show All
    • We've broke up over the phone never innperson. He doesn't seem violent.

• I understand where you are coming from but my own mother didn't seem violent until I she tried to kill me and my father one day. I have seen a guy that was 6'5" he was completely fine I saw him wait for a woman to turn her back on him so he could get been in a choke hold. It took me and 5 other people to take him off of her. Schizophrenia is dangerous. I'm not trying to be mean to anyone when I say that but its a ticking time bomb weighting tongonoff and you have no idea until it's to late

• im also a schizophrenic, and i never do anything strange or hurt anyone. im a schizophrenic since more than 10 years now.

1|0
    0|0
  • Damn... reading these comments sounds like a fucking eugenics rally. Schizophrenia is not the boogeyman it used to be, it's scary and very serious for sure... but more research and better treatments are coming forth. Episodes that used to end up with involuntary inpatient care drugged up can now be accomplished with lots of loving people, meds, caring doctors & therapists, and patience.

If you don't see yourself being comfortably one of those loving people I guess move the fuck on, don't waste his time...

I don't hate you, but damn that sucks... I hope he finds someone else who can be there for him up and down.

0|0
    0|0
    • You seriously have no idea what your talking about and are letting your emotions cloud your judgement. I know people who have schizophrenia. I have worked with them. They are patients. If yo u walked into the psych hospital with that attitude it would get you seriously hurt. If seen it happen. If seen people that act just fine one moment the next are wanting to kill you because you look like uncle Chester who touched them when they were children open your eyes man.

• @Ridane he's not that bad off. He doesn't need to be in a mental hospital

• I was trying to say it's not always the same, schizophrenia last I knew is on a spectrum. Someone being diagnosed with schizophrenia should not automatically be discarded from life or the rest of society... which is where I thought that question was leading towards. I have been in mental health hospitals, and I've seen treatments that work for some and don't work for others. I've also seen what happens when people around a mentally challenged person give up and the impact it has on them.

My opinion wasn't intended to be a slam on OP. I'm not saying that OP is just a terrible person, I don't know the circumstances, obviously OP cares.

If you can't provide the care that is needed, maybe just help move the person you care about on to someone else who can provide such care if you can?

• Don't date someone with severe mental illness
    They are not for relationships
    For both sides good

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I would, so I can have problems all the time

0|0
    1|1
  • Hell nooo to the no to the no nooo

0|0
    0|0
  • Not in this lifetime.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fucks no

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 12

• nope :/

0|0
    1|0
  • It is better not to select a person with schizophrenia as life partner. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to understand what is real. Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not hear, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation. People with schizophrenia often have additional mental health problems such as anxiety, depressive, or substance-use disorders. The causes of schizophrenia include environmental and genetic factors - including variety of common and rare genetic variants. Diagnosis is based on observed behaviour, the person's reported experiences and reports of others familiar with the person. People with a family history of schizophrenia who have a transient psychosis have a 20–40% chance of being diagnosed one year later. So if you marry this person and produce child –it is supposed to have this disorder by birth. The primary treatment of schizophrenia is anti-psychotic medications, often in combination with psychological and social supports. Schizophrenia results in a decreased life expectancy by 10 to 25 years, primarily because of its association with obesity, poor diet, sedentary lifestyles, and smoking, with an increased rate of suicide.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as u have open communication and talk about it - it should be fine. If you to can't openly communicate about it and support each other then yes it's best to stay just friends or stop talking. I've worked with schizophrenia before and have a best friend (crush) who has it. (We are not together due to the drugs he is on completely wipes out his sex drive-and he can't handle a typical relationship) but I trust him with my life he has always been there for me when I needed him the most. Just like Autisum, schizophrenia is on a spectrum.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but you need to be mindful of your own safety. Talk to some experts for advice, and make sure he's dealing with it correctly himself

0|0
    0|0
  • No
    Will only start dating once all these possibilities has been checked

0|0
    0|0
  • I would not date guys like. I prefer short guys with lerning disabilities. I am dating guys and I don't want to something stupid.

0|0
    0|0
  • my birth mom has schizophrenia and i know what it's like to be around someone with it. i don't live with my birth mom but when i went to visit her she would always say "are you serious" with a very concerned look on her face when i didn't say anything. i was very young so i don't remember how i reacted but i know what your going through kinda. i suggest talking to his family members about it unless you are comfortable asking him questions. his family might know how severe it is. if it's not that severe then i suggest staying with him and maybe helping him get through it but if his parents say that it's pretty severe and he gets violet thoughts then maybe slowly leave him not to be rude but just for your safety

0|0
    0|0
  • Break up I do not want u to get hurt by any means

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't want to break up with him over something that's not his fault. However, it does scare me that he might go off on me. I don't like him a lot and we've been through a lot together.

• I know it not his fault but I do not want u to get hurt by him and then he regret it later
      It just best to break up with him

• Ok you need to bring help to him ASAP

• Maybe

0|0
    0|0
  • I would date him

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends

0|0
    0|0
  • I talk to this guy who is schizophrenic, he doesn't take his medication for it, he has stopped a while ago, but he is completely normal and is able to hold a logical conversation with anyone the same way any person can. He doesn't seem to be dangerous. Only thing is that he hears people say things that they didn't actually say, but he recognizes it usually and is aware of what happens to him.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes