My girlfriend hit me, what should I do?

We were in a fight and I called her a name that I definitely shouldn't have, but then she slapped me. It didn't hurt too bad but it just the thought that she would do that, and I would obviously never do that to her. We've been dating for about 2 years.

I'm not sure what to do. We haven't talked in a couple days since it happened but she apologized a lot right after it happened. I don't want to break up with her over this, but I'm kind of considering it cause I'm pretty angry.

1020

Most Helpful Girl

• She should have never hit you. They only reason to hit another person is in self-defense, and if you just called her a name there's no way she should've feared for her safety. She will probably do it again to be honest, and it may even get worse eventually. You don't wanna break up with her, but you probably should.

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to be a bit smart about this. Realise that girls do not get the same education that boys do when it comes to violence. Boys are taught from infancy that you never hit someone smaller, weaker or female. It's drummed into us that hitting a girl is cowardly and as males we have to exercise discipline and control over our impulses, both sexual and violent.

Girls get none of this. If anything they are encouraged to hit boys. They never have to learn that discipline. You need to make allowances for her on those grounds but demand a bit more restraint from her in future.

• I was never encouraged to hit boys, no one should be hitting anyone.