How would you describe/show unconditional love for your partner?

I'm in a relationship with my boyfriend for 5 years now. He says he loves me unconditionally, but I don't love him the same and I don't know how to love.

there's a few things he does that upset me and he says I shouldn't try to change who he is, I should love him for him being himself. that sounds one sided to me considering that he tells me the things about me that annoys him.

I've been researching this and understand the 5 love languages, that not everyone loves the same. I've looked up how unconditional love has no limitations, is forgiving and puts love above all things. but something just doesn't seem right

how do you describe unconditional love and how would you show it?

222

Most Helpful Guy

• True unconditional love doesn't exist. If someone ruined your life or cheated on you or tried to kill you or someone you care about you wouldn't still love them.

There are the five love languages which explain how different people express love and what type of maintenance they need in order to feel loved, and then there are multiple different types of love. There's emphatic where you're in love with someone. It's the one where you're crazy about them and want to do everything for them and never leave them. There's maternal love, platonic love, and there is lust. Look up pathos, Eros.

You both need to understand that you won't like everything about each other all the time. There's nothing wrong with that. I promise you that you'll miss every bit of it if you ever separate. The good and the bad. If you care about him and want to be with him no matter what, even if he loses his job, or his legs, then that loyalty is the best kind of love there is in my opinion. It's hard to find. So long as you both care for and support each other and respect each other, it doesn't really matter how you label it or what kind of arbitrary category it falls into.

You just have to express the level of discomfort you have with what he's doing and ask him to please just try to change that one habit. If there's something he can't stand about you, then offer to do the same for one thing. Keep things fair and even. Even if it doesn't feel fair. Men are like children and we need treats to make us do anything we don't want to, and as humans we are not used to having a second party changing our own habits that we have never had to change before. If he loves you unconditionally then he will try to fix the issue because he cares about you, but it could be seen both ways. You have to give too.

What's the issue anyways?

• I agree with everything you're saying. I've taken the "5 love languages" test and I've yet to ask my boyfriend to do it (I don't think he'll agree with it but I'm hoping it'll give me a better idea on things). And I know I'm not perfect. Hence why I'm here asking for advice before I speak to him, making sure how I feel about things is correct or whether I'm being unfair.

So there's a few things that I find disrespectful; he leaves his clothes on the floor (for weeks) after I've washed them, I ask him to shower sometimes but I get ignored. He worked for my dad for a while and would come home and complain about him calling him an asshole and stupid, I told him that I understand venting, but not for validation, and it hurt my feelings the way he spoke about my dad. He brushed it of and stated that it was his boss and he'll talk about him any way he wants.

• pt2. recently he told me that he doesn't find me attractive right now (I guess because I've been very low emotionally these last few months so I've been unmotivated, anti-social, sad). He goes to after parties and makes out with other girls as dares, I've told him this hurts me and he argued that I was trying to change who he is. He talks a lot about how you can't rely on anyone, but asks me to do things last minute and when I don't come through for him, gets annoyed. he's friends with two of his exs and has talked to them about me negatively, calling me a pmsing bitch and saying he doesn't think we'll be together for much longer. Has told me that I'm not on the same level of understanding as he is about unconditional love. Tells me I'm controlling and possessive.

• Omg. Ambarlee, you need to leave him like asap. That's so far from overreacting as possible. Those aren't the things that someone who loves you does. Love is understanding, love is forgiving, love is kind, love is great and nothing about those thing is any of that.

Someone who cares about you, who cares about your feelings, doesn't cheat on you and blame it on a dare. They don't dismiss your feelings and blame you for everything.

I will be completely honest. I've been a terrible boyfriend before and have done some of those things. None of them are acceptable and I regret all of it, but he doesn't appreciate you and he never will until after he realizes what he's lost. This is coming from someone who was in his shoes.

You clearly love him a lot, much more than he loves you, but this isn't a healthy relationship. You shouldn't tolerate anyone that puts you down, dismisses your feelings, cheats on you, or brings so much negativity into your life.