What are your thoughts on going Dutch on the first date?

Going Dutch means splitting the bill.

3966

Most Helpful Guy

• Hi.

Here is my take on paying for stuff on a date.

Anyone who expects someone to pay for them on a date is a complete tool. Your up your own bum if you think you should have anything bought for you on a date. You are there as two people finding out about one another trying to build a bond, not have your body purchased. Your not there at some business negotiation and your not a visiting dignitary from a foreign land, and you most certainly are not a princess/ prince in need of honour payments for your time. Some of the loudest voices advocating this courting stance are also in the smallest minority, leave it in the past and welcome to the 21st Century.

That said. Give the other person the wiggle room to buy stuff for you, if you offer to split your bill and they offer to buy your meal then that's cool, they are showing they want to invest more in you and it may not yet be at a point where that can be expressed physically. So if that does happen and you are feeling equally into them then find an excuse to buy them something in return. But don't lead people on for free stuff.

In short I agree with going Dutch.

Most Helpful Girl

• Blah... whatever that guy is comfortable with. I always went Dutch as far as I remember but it would be nice if a guy bought you a cup of coffee on a 3 or 4th date. Nothing big just small stuff.
    Dutch -yes. But then again... if I told a guy -hey let’s get some ice cream and we went to the ice cream truck I think it would be normal of me to pay for both since I invited and it was my idea. If a guy said -hey let’s get some hotdogs (something small) and didn’t offer to pay then that’s a bit off for me.
    I’m not a stingy person and hate greedy people and love giving so maybe that’s why...