Girls, if a guy shows up with flowers on a first date, are you flattered or freaked out?

At one time, when I had a first date with a woman, I would bring her a single white rose and explain that white roses are a symbol of new beginnings. Of course, most first dates don't result in a LTR but. . . I always had the impression that ladies appreciated the token of respect and hope. After all, it was a single rose - white - not a dozen red roses. A dozen red roses. . . my impression is that would set off warning lights and sirens with most women.

How would you feel about a guy bringing you a single white rose on a first date? How do you feel about a guy bring you a flower arrangement or a dozen red roses on a first date?
  • No flowers! That is just too clingy or desperate for me.
  • If he brought me a simple, inexpensive arrangement of flowers - or a single white rose - I would be flattered. If he brings me a dozen roses, that is way too much too soon!
  • If he brought me a dozen roses on a first date, I would think he is a romantic and classy guy and he would definitely have my attention.
    Vote C
I am in a long term relationship now, but when I was single, I got criticism from my guy friends whenever they heard that I was taking a single rose to a lady I was meeting for a first date. Your comments have vindicated my decision!

40

Most Helpful Girls

Brownie points, i love flowers.

• I love flowers too but I'm terrible at accepting gifts aaa! >.<

• @Kaytiee Convince yourself (and it is true) that being gracious in accepting gifts makes the donors more comfortable and makes them feel more appreciated. You are doing THEM a service by learning to be more gracious!

• Thank you ☺️

• A single flower or a small bouquet is flattering for sure, and appreciated. It's not a bad thing to do on a first date, and in many cultures (including Russian culture, which is my background), it's a requirement. But I feel like it would put me into an awkward position as I'm highly allergic to most flowers, and the reaction happens almost immediately.

I would just be upfront before the date and tell him I don't want any flowers, and it's because of bad allergies. And then hope he doesn't get offended, think I'm making it up, or cancel on me. If he still showed up with a flower, it's fine but it also kind of tells me he doesn't listen! 😊

All hypothetical though - I'm already married and I had fake flowers at my wedding.