Girls, if a guy shows up with flowers on a first date, are you flattered or freaked out?

Girls, if a guy shows up with flowers on a first date, are you flattered or freaked out?
At one time, when I had a first date with a woman, I would bring her a single white rose and explain that white roses are a symbol of new beginnings. Of course, most first dates don't result in a LTR but. . . I always had the impression that ladies appreciated the token of respect and hope. After all, it was a single rose - white - not a dozen red roses. A dozen red roses. . . my impression is that would set off warning lights and sirens with most women.

How would you feel about a guy bringing you a single white rose on a first date? How do you feel about a guy bring you a flower arrangement or a dozen red roses on a first date?
  • No flowers! That is just too clingy or desperate for me.
    Vote A
  • If he brought me a simple, inexpensive arrangement of flowers - or a single white rose - I would be flattered. If he brings me a dozen roses, that is way too much too soon!
    Vote B
  • If he brought me a dozen roses on a first date, I would think he is a romantic and classy guy and he would definitely have my attention.
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I am in a long term relationship now, but when I was single, I got criticism from my guy friends whenever they heard that I was taking a single rose to a lady I was meeting for a first date. Your comments have vindicated my decision!

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• If he brought me a dozen roses on a first date, I would think he is a romantic and classy guy and he would definitely have my attention.

Brownie points, i love flowers.

1|2
    0|0
    • I love flowers too but I'm terrible at accepting gifts aaa! >.<

• @Kaytiee Convince yourself (and it is true) that being gracious in accepting gifts makes the donors more comfortable and makes them feel more appreciated. You are doing THEM a service by learning to be more gracious!

• Thank you ☺️

• A single flower or a small bouquet is flattering for sure, and appreciated. It's not a bad thing to do on a first date, and in many cultures (including Russian culture, which is my background), it's a requirement. But I feel like it would put me into an awkward position as I'm highly allergic to most flowers, and the reaction happens almost immediately.

I would just be upfront before the date and tell him I don't want any flowers, and it's because of bad allergies. And then hope he doesn't get offended, think I'm making it up, or cancel on me. If he still showed up with a flower, it's fine but it also kind of tells me he doesn't listen! 😊

All hypothetical though - I'm already married and I had fake flowers at my wedding.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 38

• I've never received a flower on the first date, so I'd definitely be surprised - not necessarily in a negative way. Whether or not the flower is appropriate also depends on what kind of date it is. If we go to an amusement park or anything vaguely active, what am I gonna do with the flower? I can only imagine it if the guy picked me up at my apartment, which is not really the case for a first date.

2|1
    0|0
  • Loads of flowers would be too much for me and a bunch of red roses way too much since I know how much that costs and for a first date that's too much. I'd rather b it'll be such a shock for a guy to do that and keep a smile on my face for days, and I'd be incredibly flattered 😊

0|1
    0|0
  • I chose B although, I'm not really picky about romantic gifts. If a guy takes me out somewhere and we have fun together then that's good enough for me. Gifts and such are nice and make me feel flattered but the company itself is what I like the most.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's such a sweet old fashioned kinda thing. I love getting flowers. Then all week when I look at the flowers, I think of my sweety and feel good.

Not all women dig flowers but I do.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sounds like a bribe. I brought you flowers so I am entitled to a second date. A box of chocolates is better. If the date goes bad flowers go in the trash but you cam always eat the chocolate.

0|1
    0|0
  • A few flowers is cute, a single rose is cute. I would not be put off by the bouquet or roses, but I'd feel like he spent too much on little ole me

2|1
    0|0
  • Unlike most people, I don't really like flowers in general. Not really sure why.

1|1
    0|0
  • If he brought me a simple, inexpensive arrangement of flowers - or a single white rose - I would be flattered. If he brings me a dozen roses, that is way too much too soon!

0|1
    0|0
  • Neither, it's just fucking weird, we are just getting to know each other and not planning or marriage

1|1
    0|0
  • This dude is a legend:

1|1
    0|0
  • Fun Fact: I am allergic to roses! yay me I bound to live a life without romance.
    and many of the family members I live with and touch on the daily are allergic to assorted flowers (Lilacs, grass, peonies, basically the whole damn garden.).
    And my sister is basically allergic to everything because she has some sensory disorders (The poor girl gets a lot of hives).
    So while a bouquet of flowers or even a single white rose would make me really like the guy, they would still end up going home with him. lol
    If I wasn't allergic, I don't think I would care whether it was a bouquet or a single rose so long as there is adequate thought behind it.
    If you buy a bunch of roses just because I would rather have someone who bought 1 with a specific meaning behind it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think one nice flower or a simple bouquet is lovely and thoughtful. Personally I feel uncomfortable with a dozen roses or fancy bouquet. To me that would symbolise clingy or even stalker (possibility). To the fellas out there, simple is appreciated. Or if your girl doesn't like flowers, maybe a small gift voucher if you know her favourite store (maybe you've been chatting about it. This is a bad move if you've only known each other very short time. This is like friends going dating or online chats long before a physical date.)

0|1
    0|0
  • I prefer no flowers just because that's a waste of money. If relationship is not serious at the very beggining (like it was for one of my friends, then flowers were too much for her).

0|1
    0|0
  • Flattered! Why would I be freaked out!!! Shows he has put time and effort into thinking about you and preparing for the date. It's cute

0|1
    0|0
  • Not necessary, but I’d be flattered. Though I must admit, they’d probably die within the first 2-3 days afterwards.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it’s very sweet of him, and I would appreciate it.
    However, I don’t like flowers. But the gesture will be very appreciated by me.

0|1
    0|0
  • A single flower is okay. A whole bouquet of roses is too much and that would make me feel slightly uncomfortable... unless we're already in love and we're going serious.

0|1
    0|0
  • Neither.
    I don’t like flowers but it’s not like imma scream and run away

0|1
    0|0
  • I prefer a good plant over a flower that will wilter. But to each their own

0|1
    0|0
  • Very flattered, shows' he's interested, has standards and is a romantic person. <3

0|1
    0|0
  • I would think they want to treat you and want to make a good first impression.

0|1
    0|0
  • If a guy bought me a decent bunch of flowers I would definitely appreciate it especially because I love keeping fresh flowers in my room, especially the fragrant ones that smell lovely. But if a guy bought me one extravagant BIG bouquet of flowers I'd freak out if it's not for my birthday. Wait no, not freak out... Umm. Let me explain.

If he is the kind of guy who is always extra and I'm aware of that I'd obviously not be worried, cause he's extra duh. But otherwise I would feel like it's too wasteful and unnecessary... Not that I don't appreciate it, but you know what I mean.

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as the flowers are black, sure
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd prefer a single rose though, so as not to take up space or disturb us during the date

1|1
    0|1
  • Effort is attractive so I would be really flattered.

0|1
    0|0
  • I prefer yellow roses.

0|1
    0|0
  • None. I would simply think it was nice.

0|1
    0|0
  • Flattered- C

0|1
    0|0
  • Flattered. My smile would reach to my eyes 🙂.

0|2
    0|0
  • That’s nice and sweet. At least he thinks about it

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes