Should I return the car my ex boyfriend bought me after we broke up?

My ex bought me a car and we broke up recently. I don’t know if I should keep it or give it back to him because we never discussed what to do with the gifts he gave me or the gifts I gave him during our relationship.
  • Yes. I would return it
  • No. I wouldn’t return it
  • I’d talk to him and ask for his opinion on whether he wants it back
    Vote C
FIRST of all he bought me the car before we broke up.

Second, I don’t know who’s name it’s under. He just showed up with the a new car one day it’s not like I went with him to buy the car and picked it out for myself. I never asked him either which if anything goes to show that I’m not a gold digger.
He said he doesn’t need the car so I can have it 😊

61109

Most Helpful Guys

• i don't know about how everyone else is like regarding this but i personally feel that if you gave away something, you can't get it back regardless of the price. doesn't matter if the relationship ended in mutual terms or badly, it's was a gift, you can't request to take anything back because it's their property now, just as the things he gave you is now your property. everytime i broke up with my ex gfs i have never once asked anything back. if they ask if i want it back i usually just say "i gave it to you, so it's yours to keep, you can give it away to your friends, throw it away or whatever. but, if you insist to give it back to me then that's fine. i'll take it back."

if the car is under his name, then yes he has a right to get it back by legal means. if the car is under your name, it is not necessary for you to give it back unless you want to and if you don't want to, he won't be able to do anything about it.

• if that's the case then, you should talk to him about it. if the car is under his name and he has no means to changing it to your name, then it's best to give the car back even if he tells you to hold on to the car because in the future he might use it against you for whatever reason. it's the one thing i hate about some people who's always using whatever reason they can to make you feel bad and give in, like what if one day he's like "oh i let you use my car for so long and today i ask you to suck my dick for 30 minutes and you won't even do it" then they start asking you for money because you put a lot of mileage on it or something and i'm serious, there are some people who are just grimey like that and this side of them usually shows up after a break up of any kind.

Most Helpful Girls

• If it's not in your name, then legally, you have to give it back.

Even if it isn't, you should discuss that. A car isn't the same as a teddy bear or a necklace, especially if he's still making payments on it.

• So based on your update, the car is in his name. He can't buy a car and put it in your name. If you never transferred the title, then you do not own the car. Therefore, you need to give it back by law.

• Lying about what? You can think whatever you want but I got a car for free not you lol who’s laughing now

• Me because my parents bought me a BMW when I was in high school. That's what happens when your dad is millionaire. You may now have several seats.

• Little gifts you have no obligation to return, but something major I think it would be a shit trick not to. I don't know how old it was, but a new car cost a chunk of change. If he got you an old jalopy that looked like it was on it's last legs it would be different. But if it were a nice car of recent vintage I think you should give it back, especially if he is making payments on it or paying the insurance. Any girl can get a boyfriend, get him to buy her a car, and then say goodbye so it makes sense to do it. However if he doesn't want it back that is another matter. You should ask him and at least offer to take over the payments and keep it.