10 Things You Thought Were True But Actually Aren't

1. Napoleon Wasn't Short.

Most of the people believe that Napoleon Bonaparte was a short man. However he was 5'7", which at the time was considered taller than average. The rumor that he was a short person was actually just British war propaganda.

2. Humans don't use only 10% of their brains.

UGHH. If only I could tap that other 90 percent, I too could become savant who remember to the twenty-thousandth decimal place or perhaps even have telekinetic powers.

But that's just a myth. Actually, no study has ever showed or claimed that. Though an alluring idea, the "10 percent myth" is so wrong it is almost laughable. It turns out though, that we use virtually every part of the brain, and that [most of] the brain is active almost all the time , and that is confirmed by neurologists.

3. Cow tipping isn't a thing.

The evidence against cow tipping is immense, and backed up by both farmers and the laws of physics .It doesn't matter what your drunk cousin told you. Cow tipping isn't a thing because cows sleep lying down.

4. Touching baby birds doesn't make their mother reject them.

Birds will not readily abandon their young because they “smell humans.” For one thing, birds don’t have a great sense of smell. Their olfactory bulbs are small and simple compared to other animals

Even if they could detect your scent, and make a negative association with it, they’re not just going to up and leave. You wouldn’t abandon your kids and home at the first sign of danger, would you?

That's right. You could have saved that baby bird when you were 10. You let it die smh.

5. Iron Maiden never existed.

It was actually a hoax made up in the 19th century. The idea of iron-maiden-like devices has been around for thousands of years, even if evidence for their actual use is shaky. It's a myth and probably only used in stories moms told their kids in the Middle Ages.

6. Albert Einstein didn't fail high school math.

Albert Einstein was actually a very bright student with good scores in all his subjects. If he wasn't really into studies it was more because of the fact that he didn't like "the school’s expected mindless obedience and discipline aimed at instilling authoritarian civic virtues".

He may have failed his college entrance exam once which floated this rumor.

"But mom! Einstein failed at math too." "No he didn't, bitch" *takes out the belt to whip his ass*

7. The Great Wall Of China isn't visible from space.

Since 1904, people have been claiming that the Great Wall of China is so big and so prominent, that it can be seen from the surface of the moon. After 65 years of waiting, Apollo astronauts were able to confirm the authenticity of this claim. Their answer: no.

The Chinese space program was shaken to learn that their own astronaut, Yang Liwei couldn’t see the wall from space. This at least confirmed the invisibility wasn’t a political conspiracy. But hey! Maybe they just had shitty eyesight, right?

8. Humans have five senses.

Sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing. Are we forgetting any? About 15 others, according to some neuroscientists who include among our sense such capabilities as nociception (the ability to feel pain), chronoception (ability to feel the passing of time), and equilibrioception (sense of balance).

9. The Keys on a Typewriter/Keyboard Are Arranged Specifically for More Efficient Typing.

In today’s modern era, a large portion of the population are adept at typing, but the keys were not arranged for the typist’s convenience. Instead, they were arranged in such a way as to slow down typists on old typewriters! Originally, the inventor of the typewriter laid out the keys in alphabetical order, but he realized the keys would jam if typing occurred at a high speed because too many frequently used letters were placed too close together. So the QWERTY system was developed to place the most frequently used letters as far apart on the keyboard as possible. It was publicly and falsely claimed that the QWERTY system was scientifically devised to promote efficient typing. Others have since invented more efficient systems, but the QWERTY system is so widely accepted that it’s nearly impossible to change.

10. Vikings didn't wear horned helmets.

We see vikings are fierce warriors that wore heavy armor and wielded destructive weapons and wore helmets with huge horns. But that's a myth. This is a real, 10th century Viking helmet. That thing Flavor Flav wears and that adorns the Minnesota Vikings helmets is cool, but it's also pure fantasy.

937

Most Helpful Guys

• People have seriously thought the Wall is visible from space? XD Come on. The Iron Maiden and Napoleon fact I can furthermore understand, but I really hope there aren't still many who truly believes Vikings had horned helmets. Don't know how many times I as a Swede have had to tell foreigners interested in our history that.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 9

• I didn't know about the great wall one, the Viking one, or the Iron maiden one. Well, I'm glad to have learned these things! This was interesting, and I liked how you elaborated on each fact! :)

• The only ones I knew were the keyboard thing and the Viking helmet thing.

The "horned helmet" imagery came about during the Christianization of Scandinavia, as "devil worshipping raiders" were a much more tempting target for people like William Sinclair. Also, the Vikings were pretty lightly armored and carried lighter weaponry, like swords, spears and war axes, so they could use shields efficiently and travel farther (and probably pillage more shit). I always see shit like battleaxes and warhammers associated with vikings, which they didn't use either. They were a pretty simple people. Their swords were quite plain and their axes were just stuck on a stick. A good stick, but a stick nonetheless.

Also, they already made a keyboard designed for efficiency, the DVORAK layout.

• loll what i watched a movie about this nipoleon guy and i swear he was like 6ft but good take, lol I left so many birds on the ground😭

• Also, daddy long legs aren't poisonous.

• Whoa... Interesting

• 7d

Hahaha nice myTake

• That guy Nap is still short tho

• 10 things I thought were true but actually aren’t

• Napoleon may have just been short compared to Europe's aristocrats who hated him.

What Guys Said 35

• So Napoleon was short... If you are trying to tell me 5'7 isn't short...

They have found Viking helmets and garments with horns on them. Hell, I even saw them in a museum.

The typing thing is really cool. I didn't know that.

• The significance of Napoleon being "short" is that it made him seem more like a commoner and less like an aristocrat. The aristocratic class in Europe at that time were all big tall fuckers because they came from families that had been rich and powerful for hundreds and hundreds of years, their mothers had nothing but the finest meat and protein to eat during pregnancy, so they really were taller and better looking than peasants. Peasant women were much more likely to not get enough protein while pregnant, and generation after generation of this (as well as child labor) tended to make peasant men short and stunted.

Napoleon's famous hat plays into this as well, it's actually a hat that a provincial governor might wear, so a symbol of authority, but far less ostentatious than what was typical of the period. Compare Napoleon to even his own generals:

Napoleon wasn't actually a true "commoner," he was of noble birth but his family was very near the bottom of the ladder, even in Corsica, but far more so in France.

Nevertheless the fact that the British made fun of him for being the same size as a peasant is very telling in my opinion.

• Another thing about Einstein was that he actually got very high marks, it's just that people who looked up his history found what they perceived to be bad marks because that school/region had changed it's marking system. It's like being graded on a 5 point system and getting a 5 but then the system is changed to a 10 point system and people look back at your marks and think that you only got half the amount of points you could have gotten.

• You're right about everything except Napoleon not being short. You yourself have bought into some BS, by thinking that people long ago were much shorter on average than we are now. The worst so-called facts and utterly sick delusions I can think of are the idea that women have a strong sex drive, and that many men have been raped by women. EXTREME BRAINWASHING.

• Iron Maiden never existed? Stop lying!
    https://youtu.be/clfZV4FWwNM

• OK, I knew all of them except 3, which I couldn't care less about. :-D
    But no, I don't want to give you shit, spread the knowledge. And the next time you do it, use metric, so it doesn't look retarded.

• 1) It wasn't propaganda, it was the difference in measurement. "The French inch was actually longer than the British inch, leading to any height sounding shorter to the English speaking world. In 1802 a doctor called Corvisart said Napoleon was 5 foot 2 inches by the French measurement, which equates to about 5 foot 6 in British."

• I knew all of those, except for the Napoleon and iron maiden one. I didn't think we had 15 senses though.
    And was Napoleon at least fat?

And yeah, I remember seeing on "Mysteries of the Museum" that some guy rearrange the keyboard letters differently, and people actually preferred it, but for some reason it didn't stick. I don't remember what they said the reason was.

• Oddly enough, there was another factor in the QWERTY keyboard. The word "typewriter" was put on the top line so that early salespeople, who couldn't actually type for beans, could demonstrate the mechanism easily. There IS a more efficient layout, (the Dvorak), , invented by a Naval officer in the 1930's.

• you copied all of these from Adam ruins everything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA-fc3D09ZY

• I never said i didn't 💁‍♂️

• Or maybe this myTake is the result of years of my research on the middle ages or the behavior of birds.
      Ofc i copied it from somewhere 🙄

• It makes sense that the Vikings wouldn't have horns on their helmets. They'd be cumbersome, and could be knocked off easily. The leader might have used a horned helmet for ceremonial occasions.

• Cows DO sleep standing up. Most of the time.

The iron maiden was real - it just didn't have spikes, and wasn't used for execution and torture. It was sometimes used to confine the mentally ill.

• I thought all of this was common knowledge? Then again, I read a lot...

• 1 also came from the fact that Napoleon used to choose very big and tall guys for his Old Guard, that was often seen around him, and therefore made him look smaller than he was.

• Fuck, sent too early. The members of the Old Guard had to be at least 5'7", often more. Because Napoleon wanted them to be impressive, they were shock troopers, used to break the morale and the spirit of the enemy. They also had to have 10 years of service, be able to read and write fluently, be commended for bravery, and be irreproachable.

• Always thought typewriter keys where laid they way they were to make typewriting "typewriter" easier during demonstrations.

• Manual typewriters used letters on individual arms laid out in a fan pattern. If two keys close together were typed too quickly after the other, they would catch on each other and jam. The more they were separated, the less likely this was to occur, though it *could* still happen. Anyway, the layout did indeed spread out the most-used letters to avoid jamming.

Ideally, we'd all ditch Qwerty and go with the Dvorak layout, but that would force everyone to re-learn typing, and few are willing to do that. Dvorak keyboards ARE available for PCs, though.

• Columbus was not the first person to realize the Earth was round, not by a long shot, nor was he the first European to come to the Americas.

• Add 99 genders and every other PC belief on here next

• I loved this take lol
    I knew about the wall, Einstein and 10% brain thing

• Napoleon wasn't small. Nearly 5ft 9. That was medium size 200 years ago.

• I don't know man, I'm 5'7 and the average is 6 ft in America.

• Well we're talking about the average height in France.
      Also the average height of an adult male in US is 5'9".

• 10 things @GayHowellMeme thought were true but actually weren't

• But we sure can see chinas pollution from space

• Wow great take and informing

• Good My Take. The Napoleon one got me.

• Yes, and Jesus wasn't real.

• I already knew those.

• and you can hang mince on a meat hook.

• You can grab a calf and tip it to the ground

• 4 & 9 are still contradictory.

• Show more from Guys
    5