5 Good Horror Stories to Creep You Out This Halloween

I love reading, I love horror stories, and I've been on a Stephen King binge lately, so here are five short horror stories that will give you those pleasant scares.

The Landlady, by Roald Dahl

Many people don't realize that Roald Dahl also wrote horror as well. The twist is fairly easy to spot if you are looking but it is very well executed.

The Dunwich Horror, by H.P. Lovecraft

This is one of H.P Lovecraft's best works and its just a damn fine story at that. Also, it does not actually involve Cthulhu; most of the mythos stories don't even mention Cthulhu let alone feature him or his cultists. Cthulhu is actually a minor player in a mythos.

The Pigeons From Hell, By Robert E. Howard

This is a story that Stephen King once called the finest horror story of the century. It really lives up to it. Its just an amazing story and it's set in the Piney Woods in the Southern U.S, one of the only places on the planet whose creepiness can rival that of New England.

The Fall of the House of Usher, By Edgar Allan Poe

This has to be my favorite story by Edgar Allan Poe and for good reason. The atmosphere is both beautifully written and inherently creepy, and it's a damn fine horror story.

The Children of the Corn, by Stephen King

Before this was a cult classic horror film it was a story by Stephen King, and if there is one thing that man knows it's how to write a horror story. It's a very scary story and very well done.

#HappyHalloween

135
Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• *adds them to my list* My never-ending list XD

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 12

What Guys Said 4

• I haven't read any of them yet.

• "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson is a book I cannot endorse enough. It singlehandedly created the zombie genre by isolating vampirism from its supernatural context so that it was a natural phenomenon. It even goes so far as to literally slam Bram Stoker by having the main character throw "Dracula" in the fireplace.

• Having read it, I prefer Dracula actually,
      I LOVE well done paranormal horror.
      Side note,
      Have you read any stephen king?

• Surprisingly not, although you'd think I would have by now. What is a good first book by him to read?

• Okay,
      lets go down the list,
      Carrie
      Pet Sematary
      The Shining and its recent sequel doctor sleep
      Cujo
      Cell
      Cycle of the Werewolf is like less than an hour but its worth a read

• Great stories indeed, Stephen King, Robert E. Howard and Edgar Allan Poe are among my favorite horror writers.
    Outstanding Take ;)

• What is that mans name? The one in the picture from the landlady.