6 Movie Clichés That Fail Hard in Real Life

1. Somethings wrong: gotta drink!

Every time something goes wrong in a movie, the characters saddle up to the nearest bar and go hard like they don't have jobs, or school, or kids at home, or the need to drive and make it back home alive without killing anyone. If this is how you deal with your problems in real life all the time, you are an alcoholic! The sh*t hits the fan for all of us sometimes in our lives, but at the slightest hint of a problem, drinking your problems away as solutions, doesn't work.

2. You've got time for your glorious death speech

When people are horribly mangled by bullets, knives, in fights, falls, car accidents, it's ugly. Very, ugly. There is no swell of music, there is no grand 10 minute speech about all the things so and so wanted to tell you and never could. People go into shock. They expel all manner of bodily fluids. They seize. Their ribs crack with CPR. Their limbs are twisted up. Movie deaths are always so neat and precise, something real life violent death never is.

3. Cops nor the military exist

I'm sorry, where exactly are these MAJOR cities that you can just destroy rolling down the street in a high speed chase, or blowing up buildings in robberies, or the super secret government takes out your shuttle/space craft and no one notices or does anything until way after the fact. Most major cities can have fighter jets scrambled within minutes, they train yearly for major catastrophes of all sorts, we are on constant terror watch. The idea that not a single person of any type would intervene in any manner, just isn't a thing especially nowadays that everyone is watching everyone on cell phone or camera.

4. Investigations take a few hours

Movie cops must the the most lucky people in the world because they show up at a crime scene, and then they find the one sliver of hair within minutes that leads us to the suspect, then DNA tests are run immediately, and then the next week, the crime is solved. Investigations can take weeks even with evidence because you want to make absolutely sure you can prosecute. DNA testing usually takes weeks because of back logs and hundreds of cases. Evidence like that needle in the haystack, is a needle in a haystack that may require multiple investigators combing through a crime scene in order to find it.

5. No matter your job, you can afford literally anything

That three bedroom skyline loft in New York, easily closing down an entire restaurant to surprise the love of your life, booking a flight same day and flying internationally on a whim, a wardrobe that never repeats....who are these people? How do you work as a librarian and you can just afford all this stuff? Are you also a coke dealer but it got cut out of the script for time, or...?

6. Human beings have the grip strength of 20 chimps

So let me get this straight...you get in a fight with some bad guy and he pushes you off a cliff or out of a window, and having never say, participated in international rock climbing championships, given the absolute surprise and shock of falling, you have the wherewithal to grip on to that tiny ledge or tree branch or grab someone's hand and they are able to maintain your entire body weight or you, your own, even fighting against high winds that exist at higher altitudes and/or gravity. Really? Like, really? Like for real, for real?

1120
BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't forget security guards. Security guards are there just to get knocked out. Even a 10 year old girl could beat them up in 2 seconds according to the movies. You'd think these men would be trained to eliminate 99% of the threats but apparently no.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd like to add, your ex is not going to show up at your front door begging you to take him back. People just don't do stuff like that anymore.
    That guy whom you're kind of into isn't going to steal a mic and start dancing and singing over a loud speaker at a football stadium to get you to notice him

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 19

• Well, while we're on the topic:

- 1 person taking out an army without even breathing hard after it's over, let alone breaking a sweat or being injured

- combustion engines do NOT explode from the slightest impact unless you're driving a Ford Pinto/a gas leak does not immediately cause the car to go up in flames

- it's almost impossible to see 5 feet in any direction with your sunglasses on at night

• Mythbusters tackled that second one, and it was like, thank you, finally!

• Loool. All true. But if the movies were just like life, no one would watch them.

The best movies make the unbelievable so convincing and realistic that we don't even question them.

www.writeups.org/.../ET-Spielberg-h5.jpg

• Heh, my momma remarks about unrealistic things in movies all the time... Always wondered about the last one.. Cause you would need to have some strong fingers to be holding on like that.. LOL.. But then again anything can happen when yo life is in danger.. But yeah, it's movies.. I really don't care about ultra realism unless the movie is offering it..

• There's a lot of truth in this, although for Number 3, it's probable that there would be some lag time for the cops or military responding right away. It would take at least a couple of minutes for the message to get to the right people for them to start responding.

• No, I didn't say, they respond right away, I said when major earth shattering things happen, no one of any sort including cops/military responds. For example, in many an "asteroid destroys the earth," movies, its after the asteroid hits that people notice and are shocked, and yet there are thousands of people world wide that are always watching the skies everyday including that little group called NASA or someone can go smashing through the very PUBLIC streets, I might add, and no one calls a cop? That's not realistic in today's time at all, especially with cell phones/cameras.

• Lol good take. My wife lives CSI and NCIS and other copy shows but come on forensic technicians that don't wear gloves or hair nets contaminating the scene. Law shows that pull the same script from another show using the "rico" case etc. Your right about the holding onto the ledge thing but there's also the grabbing onto a wire thing and surviving a fall without hurting yourself

• AHHHH, every time I used to watch CSI Miami when they would roll onto a scene in high heels, and white suits, I was like, you have got to be kidding me! Those guys where hazmat suits because anything can contaminate a scene and that's the last thing they want to do is give lawyers any reason to potentially throw out damning evidence. As far as the ledge thing, you should see the video I posted in the comments... the one with Tom Cruise is so stupidly and ironically "impossible."

• Yeah CSI miami are super smart forensics but close to so they carry guns and arrest people. What do detectives do.

• I love when you see a surf or diving type movie and the hero is able to see with crystal clear clarity under water without the need for goggles... like that happens...

• About #6
    Actually, as a carpenter who framed houses, I've seen it twice where somebody fell while walking top plates. Somehow they manage to get spun around and grab the top plate. I've heard of it happening a lot more times, so I don't think it's that uncommon.

Now when it's really crazy is when the person is hanging by the tips of their fingers and the bad guy smashes the fingers one at a time until they are down to three, then two - then suddenly they get the other hand up just at the last moment before they lose their grip.

• There all good except probably the last I've seen crazy guys doing that on youtube all though I guess doing it whilst falling would be a lot harder so maybe your right :/

• Hilarious! Especially the last one. Silverback grip training!

• 1. Not sure this fails hard, some people are just heavy drinkers (or high functioning alcoholics).

3. Makes me laugh. The recent thing on Flash with the gorillas (spoilers ahead) was ridiculous, the whole army of them marched right into the middle of Central City without anyone noticing, and ever abducted and Air Force General from his motorcade without anyone noticing. This is, of course, because it's all done in a tight TV budget, but in the background during the gorilla fight you could see everyday Vancouver traffic driving around.

• All good points except the last one hahaha

• Disagree with #1 but the rest are good! Lol

• hahaha all so true

• Loved 2 and 5. I agree with everything else too.

• LMAO.

• breaking a bottle and it turn into a weapon

• Totally agree with number 5, everyone in American movies has a huge house with a swimming pool even if they're supposedly poor.
    And number 6 is true, they hold on with one hand while holding someone up with the other like everyone can hold twice their weight with one hand... Though in a life or death situation you can get a lot stronger, and anyone could hang onto that ledge shown in the picture even if it's windy

• Another is when you see people thrown through windows, falling really hard, or injuring themselves badly and then getting back up to fight like nothing happened.

Others are when you see guys be super nice, shower a girl with attention, and do anything for her to win her over. That one definitely fails in real life and just shows desperation.

• Also when they do fall from windows, it's in slow motion! Lol

• @Poppykate lol that too

• Yeah... still waiting for that to happen in real life! I can only continue to hope! 🤞🏼

What Girls Said 10

• Lmao all so true. Another thing that bugs me is how people will literally leave or just partially eat a full plate of food, whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner, to go and do something/be somewhere else. I know it's obviously for the sake of continuity but it bugs the hell out of me 😂

• LOLZ! I agreed to all of above. Don't forget how anybody who tried to runaway from a gang or being kidnapped, he/she will eventually find a really powerful or expensive branded car/motorbike, to be use or to runaway. and he/she will quickly knew how to drive those thing, and even do stunts or drift with the vehicle

I wonder if most people are that lucky to runaway with those luxury things ;p

• Lol. I wonder about all these things regularly. Especially the ability to grab a ledge!
    Thanks for sharing!

• ... Sitting here reading this like, But what about when mad scientists can do impossible things like when they morphed a shark and an octopus, and a pterodactyl a barracuda in Sharktopus VS Pterracuda and impossible stunts like the scene at the end of Sharknado 3 when they fight space sharks? ROFLMAO!

You have to watch television with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of imagination. There are some things you have to ignore if you want to appreciate what you're watching. There is something to pick apart on everything you watch, so you have to let some of it go or else you're gonna end up being that guy nobody likes watching movies with

• Some people are taking this like so seriously... like, hey you know it's fiction right... um, duh. It's just fun to talk about this stuff and point out how stupid films can get, but they are meant to be the figments of someone's imagination, so of course it's not meant to be set in reality as we know it.

• The last one is the funniest one really. In real life you ll just fell in 2 second XD

• Love them all but with the last one I can hold on if my life depends on it. Adrenaline kick in :)

• #6 XD so true, 90% of the people would just fall.

• Nice job, very true.

• Hahahah all true and hilarious

• Lol well, that's why it's the movies...